Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/228/190 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Giving blood question

Howdie all,

I am giving blood next week and when i went in for blood typing today i notice all they have is juice and crackers/cookies.

What should i bring for afterwards since i apparently need to eat something.

carbolite bars maybe?

any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 14:07

Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%

I'd suggest bringing along a can of V8.. there's only 5.5 carbs in it and I think that if you are giving blood ... you've earned 5 carbs! grin!... GOOD FOR YOU! I wish I had the courage to give blood... I've had so many needles and IVs in my life I've developped a phobia of them... unless necessary.
I should go give blood. Now you've spoken to my conscience.

darn. I hate conviction.

Let us know what you chose!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 14:54

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Slim Jims are portable

Sams sells them in bulk at a decent price. Or make your own. A baggie of nuts will travel well. Depending on how far from home, cream cheese can work, but it's messy. Take a water bottle, too--they really want to make sure you get the fluid portion replaced. The sugary foods are more for an energy boost to cover the lost hemoglobin. They may tell you that you need the sugar, but they generally don't monitor the food table too closely, except to make sure you're not crossing your legs.

7 gallons myself, but much less now because I find the questions so offensive that they shoot my BP WAY higher than it ever tests anywhere else. Giving used to be fun and it's not anymore.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 15:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Actually, red blood cells are one of the few tissues in the body that require glucose .. they can't use ketones. Nonetheless, your liver can make whatever glucose is needed from protein.

Here's what the Atkins Center has to say
Quote:
What can I drink and eat after giving blood instead of the usual OJ and cookies?

After donating blood, your fluid volume is reduced, which also decreases the volume of blood sugar available and can make you lightheaded or dizzy. You will be offered something to drink to replace the fluid and raise your blood sugar level. Instead of sugary fruit drinks, consume water or other non-carbohydrate beverages; instead of a cookie, have a piece of cheese or a slice of turkey. If you are beyond Induction, you can have a piece of fruit with nuts. It’s a good idea to plan ahead and bring with you some of your allowable foods and beverages.

http://atkins.com/helpatkins/faqs/faqhealth/index.html

I would also avoid caffeine .. it adds to the dehydration.

hth,

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 15:21
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

I found a small bag of macadamian nuts really do the trick that and a liter of water I've given blood about 6 times while low carbing
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 20:12

Stats: 140/123/120 Female 67 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 85%

I gave blood today. I drank lots of water and had a salad soon after. I did take it easy on my work out today (just walked instead of weights).