Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 16:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/155/135 Female 169 cm
BF:
Progress: 20%
Question LADIES: Unexpected TOM?

Wow, I started my TOM 2 weeks early and I'm on Birth Control!! The only thing I've done differently in the past month was begin LCing! Anyone else experience this from drastically changing their diet, as I have?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 16:39
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Yep, exactly the same thing... I think it has to do with stored hormones in the fat being released as you burn it. By most accounts it straightens it's self out eventually. Until then, be prepared... LOL
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 17:03

Stats: 150/146/130 Female 5'1
BF:

Me too, 2 weeks early during my first week of Induction, and it was terrible! I could hardly get out of bed. But, like Rishamoon said, it straightens itself out. I've been normal ever since, but that first one was a doozy!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 17:33

Stats: 252/230/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 25%

*sigh* yes, I also have this trouble. I am on BC and have never had any trouble with it. Since I have been LC, it comes a week early and lasts for a full two weeks. So far, this has happened for three months. I have to say, it's getting old. And expensive...lol....

But, I suppose for the weight loss, it's worth it. I have also heard that it fixes itself, so I am just trying to wait it out....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 17:50

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 261/236.5/160 Female 5'7"
BF:--%/--%/--%
Progress: 24%

I've actually had the complete opposite effect. Ever since I've started low-carbing my once very sporadic TOM has become regulated, which hasn't happened to me since I was in my early teens!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 18:09

BF:
Default Not the only one, eh?

Whew! I'm so glad you all cleared that up for me! I've been super-tired too, to the point where I absolutely MUST take that late afternoon nap...in fact this gal is heading to bed right now, and it's only 8:15pm!

Well, I would certainly say that would be the only downfall for Atkin's, but the weight loss is definitely worth it!

Goodnight folks!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 18:11

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Wow I thought it was just me! Last month it started 2 weeks early.. my doc suggested I continued on my pill pack..

what did you do? start a new pack?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 18:23

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 180/174/142 Female 65.5 inches
BF:32.5%/30.2%/20%
Progress: 16%

I was early two weeks too. It is such a relief to know this is normal! This is very unusual for my body. The only time TOM has been irregular was when my younger sister started getting her TOM and her hormones or something messed me up. This could deffinately be a draw back if the cramps keep up like this, but if it is from hormones caused by weight loss I might be able to look at it as an okay thing.
Living on Midol
~CindyLynn~
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 18:59
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Disturbed TOM? You bet. I've had all manner of things, from constant weeks-long spotting to extra heavy periods which rendered me totally non-functional due to flooding and ungodly cramps. Pre-LC, I always had a relatively regular period, although the cramping was a problem (but nothing like some of the cramping on Atkins, I must admit...I got off easy before).

I have always had a bit of midcycle spotting, but it became much more intense after I started LC (March 2003). In June I had an anovulatory cycle, which basically created a mess of nearly month-long heavy spotting. I had not had anything like that since I was 19. (I'm 38 now.)

When I described this to my mom, she decided I was starting menopause. But I had this nagging suspicion that my so-called "menopause" was coinciding with the onset of the low carb diet. I did a lot of Google searching which didn't yield very much. Then I came on this forum, searched some relevant terms, and suddenly found a lot of good information, including a fair number of women with stories similar to mine.

There are tons of threads about menstrual problems on the forum. Search these terms: TOM, spotting, period, menstrual cycle. Disturbed periods are so common that I wonder why the major LC authors don't seem to mention them.

Emily
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 23:38

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

[QUOTE=rishamoon]Yep, exactly the same thing... I think it has to do with stored hormones in the fat being released as you burn it.

This is such a goood point and good observation. I wish I'd have thought of that.

Black57
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 00:32

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 216/208.8/150 Female 65 inches
BF:mini goal 206
Progress: 11%

Tom Came 2 Weeks Late For Me, But After 3 Expensive Tests, He Finally Showed Up.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 03:25

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

My second tom during this woe was 2 wks late also, the first one was during induction, not sure if it was on time or atkins induced.I didnt used to keep track.I was extremely tired during that time.I remember going to bed early and my dh wanting me to help in the yard and I just couldn't . My legs were so tired . Last tom was right on time. So, I guess it straightened itself out.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 03:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind
Wow I thought it was just me! Last month it started 2 weeks early.. my doc suggested I continued on my pill pack..

what did you do? start a new pack?

No I didn't start a new pack, I am keeping on schedule with my old one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind
There are tons of threads about menstrual problems on the forum. Search these terms: TOM, spotting, period, menstrual cycle. Disturbed periods are so common that I wonder why the major LC authors don't seem to mention them.
Thanks Emily, I will do further research on this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishamoon
Yep, exactly the same thing... I think it has to do with stored hormones in the fat being released as you burn it. By most accounts it straightens it's self out eventually. Until then, be prepared... LOL

As black57 mentioned, good call, rishamoon!

I'm cramping bigtime too, and like I mentioned last night, completely and exhausted. I really hope this passes soon. Tom is very high maintenance and is costing me a lot of money!!

Thanks again for your replies!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 05:53

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Meso, cool.. I was worried about that for awhile.. i was like.. hmm I should have thrown away that pack and started a new one.. glad I'm not in this alone..
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 07:10
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

It was freaking me out that I'm starting a few days early, when I'm still on the pink pills. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen until the "off" week? Oh well. Seems to be pretty common, so I guess I won't worry about it. It does bother me that with all the good Atkins has done to my body, it's screwing with my reproductive system!