Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 09:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%
Angry The Dreaded Chinese Food Buffet!!!!

I may be attending a birthday luncheon party tomorrow for an old friend and it is taking place at a Chinese Buffet restaurant. It is not one of those "full fledged" buffets with a salad bar and other "non-chinese" foods.

This is a very basic buffet and if I remember correctly there are only about a dozen different dishes:the usual won ton soup, egg rolls, garlic spareribs, rice and some mixed dishes: beef and brocolli, some chicken chow mein (??)...etc., then some fruit or ice cream for dessert.

As the food is already prepared I cannot get it without cornstarch or other damaging additions. I am planning ahead....think I can have the won ton soup without the won tons to begin with, and stick with the chicken/beef and veggies dishes???

Any suggestions/ideas/warnings are greatly appreciated!

Froufie

Last edited by Froufie : Wed, Sep-03-03 at 09:53.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 09:56
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

This is going to really hard because all the meats will already have cornstarch/sugar in them. I guess try to stick to veggies but they might also have thickeners in them. How about cold shrimp, egg foo yung no sauce, chicken wing with no batter. Anything else I think is a no no.

Can you make a special request and say you are have to watch your sugar, can't have cornstarch/thickeners and msg? Call before and ask for them to make a meat or chicken dish with veggies.

Good luck Froufie.

Peace
red
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 09:56

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hmmmm... When I go to those places I usually end up having some eggdrop soup (yes there is cornstarch in that) and a meat & veggie dish (like beef & broccoli). You're gonna get some extra carbs, but drinks lots of water and be on your guard and you should be ok. You can do it!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 09:57

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

A good start would be eating before you go, and focus on the gathering of friends over the food. Knowing there is starch/sugar added to the stir-fries, just have small amount of broccoli beef/almond chicken etc. and try not to stress too much about it. If they happen to have Egg Foo Yung, that is also a decent LC choice. Yes, the soup is fine w/o the wontons, and maybe a sparerib if it is not sweet and sour...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 09:58

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

Oooh - red1cutie - that's a great idea! Most buffets also will do carry out orders. So surely you can special order a dish with no thickeners!!! It might cost a smidge more, but it's worth it! And so are you!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 10:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.5/169.0/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 61%

Sometimes those buffets also have the crab legs on them, that is what I always look forward to.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 11:07

Stats: 210/181/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I usually get shrimp with some broccoli trying to avoid the sauce as much as possible
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 11:11
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

You can eat the inside of the eggrolls, and if you pull off the skins of the meat dishes that can be atkins friendly as well.

iI not, you can prepare your own meal perhaps and bring it a long?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 13:05

Plan: just eating junk food!JK
Stats: ???/105/??? Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 100%

last time i went to chinese buff i was so nervous of all the temptations around me. luckily they had a taco salad bar (they looked so good)!!! so even though there were other foods there that were so tempting, i went straight to the taco salad bar and chowed down (no taco ofcourse) like you wouldnt believe. well after i finished eating i cant even think of those starchy meat and desserts because i was so stuffed.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 13:12

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 282/276/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Scope out the buffet as you go to your table. If you don't see something that will work for you, then ask for a menu and order off that.

Definitely eat before you go. If you are heading from the office, pack a lunch. I've started to bring my lunch with me to such activities. No one seems to mind including the restaurant. Just take your own lunch with you and order tea or diet soda.

Have a great time.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 18:21

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Find something like a Mongolian BBQ. You pick and choose what goes on your plate and thus know exactly what you are eating! I wish they had more of these around...
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 20:34

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! Unforunately (or fortunately?) I now have a meeting scheduled at 12:30 pm, so won't be able to join in the lunch celebrations! I am a bit upset at not seeing everyone, but I had already decided to eat before I go, and maybe order a salad off the menu if there is one!

Will have to keep these thoughts for next time this happens!

Froufie