Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 17:40
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcereal
i thought pork rinds are ok
it's just pork baked in really hot oil

which seems to fit
and the carrots are VERY minimal, it's a salad mix and thus has some bits of carrot in it

ketchup, well, no one is taking my ketchup away!!!!!!!!! (i know i must part with it but it is hard)

i do wonder about the lemonade though
just a bit of it in a large glass of water along with some artificial sweetener, big nono?

Don't worry.. pork rinds are FINE. Just watch the ingredients if they're flavored, and drink extra water to flush the extra salt.

I don't pick every bit of carrot out of the salad mixture either...carbs in the few shreds that survive are minimal.

You's be better off using a sf lemonade mix, depending how much lemon juice you use. It CAN add up, but is NOT forbidden.

It's really funny that some people lose a few pounds and think they have the authority to be obnoxious to others. You're doing good, and I'm glad you're asking questions...feel free!!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 19:24

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

try keto ketchup its a life saver
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 19:32
Airy Cats Eyes

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/180/171 Female 5'5"
BF:diminishing daily
Progress: 67%

Hi ZCereal!
Welcome aboard--I don't eat pork rinds but plenty of my friends do and as potatofree says, watch what they're seasoned with.
Worcestershire sauce is a real killer--until I gave that up, I could not lose a single pound!!!
Just check ingredients and try to make sure sugar or anything like corn syrup, cornstarch, high fructose, etc is among them.
This WOE (way-of-eating) is really superb and enjoyable.
Keep posting!
Eri Z

PS
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 20:29

Stats: 140.0/121.5/125 Female 5'3
BF:going down!
Progress: 123%

Why not try Catch a tomato by Atkins!

That stuff is so delish, it tastes just to me even better than ketchup! I bet if you tried it you would be hooked. ( I would never ever give up my Ketchup either EVER!! ) This is the best stuff.
Make a plate of lettuce, tomato and onion slap a patty on it and Atkins catch a tomato ketchup and a little mustard ect.. omg the best open plate burger ever!

NoSunNoFun
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 22:35

Stats: 260/260/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

I had recently heard of a recipe for low carb tacos. You take cheese and fry it til its melted but firm. then fold it over like a taco and add beef, sour cream, lettuce and there you have it. I haven't tried it, but someone told me it was pretty good.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 00:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 320/320/230 Male 186
BF:
Progress:

i really wish i could get the atkins ketchup
but sadly
it cannot be had in canada (went to the store and checked) so i must give it up.

here is a weird question
today some friends went to wendy's to get frosty's ( i resisted and di not get one) but i DID order a hamburger and told them to hold hte bun, which they did. didn't think they would. didn't eat it as i wasn't hungry, gave it to a friend, we all had a good laugh though. could i theoretically have eaten that burger without breaking atkins? (topping included cheese, onion, mayo, lettuce, mustard)
i doubt it
but it doesn't hurt to ask.

i do like to add spices to my food, but i do look at the label and check to see if sugar is listed, if it's not, is it pretty safe to assume i can use it without worry?

actively using fitday now as i find it helps with the carb counting. seems i messed up my first week of atkins due to not being properly informed of a few things i can't eat, but i think i got it sorted out and i am good to go for next week.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 00:37

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I eat fast food burgers without buns every so often. Wendy's is a good choice, their burgers are 100% beef. Seems fine to me!

Watch out at Burger King, a lot of their burger have wheat and corn syrup injected. Ick.

I think you're doing well. Any mistakes are just little bumps in the road to learn from. Keep it up!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 05:24

Stats: 237.6/229/135 Female 5'6''
BF:41/40/22
Progress: 8%

HI Zcereal....

Sounds like you are really working on your Atkins WOE. Congrats. I am new to this as well, however I have been reading, reading reading for MONTHS. Worcestershire sauce is definitely a no no on induction. As someone previously stated, it has 3g of carbs per tbs. One tbs = almost 1/5 of daily intake. Limes and lemons are fine in your water if you cannot drink it "strainght". Just remember that one tbs of juice is 1 carb and add it. Better still is a SMALL slice of fresh lime or lemon in the water...gives it a slight taste of citrus without so much carb. Also, Atkins says citrus juice like this CAN slow weight loss...but not always.

As for your burgers. I LOVE ketchup too...but I gave it up. It was HARD, HARD, HARD....now it is EASY PEASY! It has LOADS of sugar and once you quit all of it, you don't want it. Really. Try this on your burgers: I use Montreal Steak Seasoning (LOADS)....it has 0 carbs....is WONDERFUL!!! I fry my burgers in olive oil (just a touch....gives me some heart healthy fat), melt cheese on top in the pan, smear it with mayo and then I stack it on a plate with LOADS of thinly sliced oinons (I usually HATE them, but this gives SO much flavor!) add a really thin slice of tomato and man oh man is that GOOD eating. A side of salad and you have a wonderful meal!!! You won't even MISS the ketchup...I promise. It is my favorite meal besides fresh salmon on spinich in garlic olive oil! : ) I love Atkins....For me, 5.5 pounds in 7 days...and I cheated the first 2 days.

Best of Luck!!!!

Last edited by Charlif761 : Sun, Aug-31-03 at 05:26.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 06:19

Question Zcereal,

Do you know anyone that lives somewhere that has access to Atkins catch a tomato at there market?
Can they ship it to you? Or can you order from there web site?
I think you would love it, if you could get your hands on it.
Just a thought...
NoSunNoFun
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 07:47
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Atkins ketchup is available on the web here:
http://www.vitacost.com/store/produ...er=637480346719

They have about all the Atkins products at about 33% off (covers the cost of shipping).

Hope that helps...

By the way, I gained a little earlier this week because I had some chilli sauce with my Wendy's chilli. The packets seemed so small that I didn't think the little corn syrup in them would harm much. How wrong I was! That little bit of sugar makes your other food turn to fat! Yuck!

Dean

Last edited by AZDean : Sun, Aug-31-03 at 07:52.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 10:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 320/320/230 Male 186
BF:
Progress:

well i do have an aunt that lives in new jersey
my mom is going to see if she can bring up a few bottles when she comes up in a week or two

so hopefully that works out
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 19:03
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

A dab of tomato sauce will do in a pinch. There are recipes using it or tomato paste, Splenda, onion, and a couple other seasonings (memory lock!)... When I can't get Keto Or Atkins ketchup, I whip up my own.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 10:33
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibunnie
No one is taking your ketchup away? With that attitude you are going to fail. Thats how you ended up weighing 300 lbs isnt it? Im being very blunt here because sometimes people need to stop being treated like babies. You either have to replace these foods that are bad for you, or be over weight and unhealthy for the rest of your life. You cant have your cake and eat it too. You are only suppose to eat the foods on the list, trying to cheat in other foods is pointless, you are only cheating yourself. Go read the book and follow it word for word. All of these "little cheats" like carrots and ketchup will sabotage your diet. You need to read everything to make sure it doesnt have sugar, and if you dont know, then dont eat it. I really wish you the best of luck, but I think you really need to work on that attitude. I hope through this way of eating you will attain a healthy perspective towards food. But cant you give up two weeks of your life to follow induction correctly? If you look at the big picture, its not very long, and it might be the greatest things you will ever do for yourself.

First let me say a little prayer. Oh Lord help me control my tongue.
Okay, that just didn't help
Skibunnie, what the hedoublehockeysticks is up with you? Every post I read from you is like the low-carb Natzi who hits you in the face, kicks you in the stomach a few times and then tells you its for your own good? That is not support, no matter how much you cushion the blow once you deliever it. Its abusive, mean and nasty. There was absolutely NO need for what you've said to this person. "With that attitude you are going to fail, that's how you ended up 300lbs isn't it?" Replace these foods or be overweight for the rest of your life?
Phew, I am not sure what to think here. Maybe you feed off the attention you get from being ugly. Maybe I am feeding into it. Regardless, I am calling you out on it. I challenge you to attempt to use your mind, heart and soul to create a msg to this fellow human on this plan that helps her without being nasty. I assure you, its possible to give the information a person needs, support and not have to beat them up while doing it. As a matter of fact, those who came after you in this thread proved me right. But can you do it?
Now, see...I proved it because what I truly wanted to say to you wouldn't have been nice as this.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 11:00
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

zcereal,

You've come to the right place with your questions.

Regarding ketchup: Westbrae Natural Foods (westbrae.com) makes two different lo carb ones. The one I'm looking at is "Unsweetened Un-ketchup":

Serving size, ! tbsp (15 g) Cal. 5, Fat 0, Cholest 0, Sodium 60mg, Carb 1g, Sugars 0, Protein 0
Ingredients: water, tomato past made from red ripe tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, salt, onion, natural flavor.

There's undoubtedly a trace of carb--so I figure 1 carb/tsp. That's not too bad!

If you like sweet ketchup, try Steel's (steelsgourmet.com). It's too sweet for me, but I made a killer cocktail sauce using it, horseradish, Worchestershire sauce, vinegar, and various spices (mustard, ginger, mace...oh, I can't remember what all.)

And then there's Walden Farms ((waldenfarms.com). Again, figure on 1 carb per serving (15 g).

Can you tell I like ketchup--and haven't given it up completely?

Jude
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 11:17

IthinkIcan,

Very,very well said! I am in on the challenge as well to skibunnie.

NoSunNoFun