Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 19:40

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Ogden Hall's Top Ten SB Tips

***I read this right after I started SB & it helped me so much! I thought they might be useful to all of you as well.

Many thanks to fellow SugarBuster! Phil Jones for allowing me to "lift"
these from his web site.

(BTW: Carrots have been retested & are now legal)
molly

PHIL: "I used to belong to the old SweetTalk email loop. Every now and then, one of the members, Dick Arlington, used to share an email that a guy named Ogden Hall sent him. In it, Ogden gives his SB! testimonial and top ten tips for successful weight loss. I don't know how to contact Ogden, so I didn't get his permission to post this. Ogden, I will remove this page if you ever desire me to do so. I've edited it somewhat so that it reads less like a personal email or more like general advice."

OGDEN: "I've been on Sugar Busters! for almost one year (started January 26, 1998). I've lost 93 pounds. I'm not a very moderate person by nature so I find that a very strict regimen works best for me.

What follows is a fairly simple list of rules that I have found to be helpful:

1) Follow the basic rules. No white potatoes, no corn, or corn products, as little sugar as possible, no carrots, no beets. Stick to lean meats.

2) Don't eat any bread with highly processed grains.

3) Go to www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm and print the list. Pick a day-to-day maximum limit (I use 65 on the white bread scale, which would be 45 on the scale used in the SB book).

With the exception of bread, don't eat anything with a higher GI in your normal meal plan. Pick an absolute maximum limit (I use 80 on the white bread scale or 56 on the scale used on the SB book). Maybe as often as 3 times a week have something in this higher range, such as a baked sweet potato (added bonus of being high fiber).

Never eat anything higher than your upper limit. If you are unfamiliar with the two scales or just want to learn more about the glycemic index read www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

4) Be incredibly picky about bread. This the highest GI item you'll eat on a daily basis, so make sure it's right for you. I rarely eat bread in any restaurant, because you just never know what's in the bread. I either eat bread I make myself or Toufayan SGWW pita bread on a day to day basis.

There are a few other commercially available breads I would eat, but the Toufayan is the only one that is conveniently available to me. I usually eat one piece of bread a day, never more than 2.

5) Drink lots of water. I drink at least 2 and sometimes as many as 4 liters of water a day. Diet soft drinks, tea, coffee or anything else doesn't count. I usually have a cup of coffee (no sugar or equal) in the morning, a glass of ice tea (no sugar or equal) with lunch, and a diet soft drink (this is the only artificial sweetener I consume normally, and just once a day) in the evening, but other than that I drink only water.

6) Eat at least one salad a day. I usually eat 2.

I use Cardini's Caesar or Italian, Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar, or
Wendy's Caesar salad dressing. (I eat lunch at Wendy's a lot - Grilled Chicken Salad, less carrots with a Grilled chicken sandwich less bun).

7) When you eat out you have my Official Permission to annoy your server with all kinds of questions about the food you're ordering.

For instance, ask what kind of oil is in the oil and vinegar dressing (accept olive, canola or soybean). If you order a baked sweet potato make sure they don't add brown sugar and honey-butter the way they do at Outback Steakhouse.

8) Don't eat anything that has any corn in it. You'll be amazed at how many things have some form of corn products. This includes anything with cornstarch, corn meal, corn sweetener, corn flour, corn syrup (high fructose or otherwise), and maltodextrin (see below).

A special note on maltodextrin: This is probably the most pervasive food additive found. Maltodextrin is refined corn starch. In the refining process the GI is greatly elevated - to the point it is equal to glucose.

9) There have been semi-heated discussions here about maltodextrin and if anyone wants to go on eating stuff with this in it they are welcome to do so, but I don't and don't recommend it. Equal has maltodextrin in it, but that doesn't mean all items with aspartame also have maltodextrin.

There is always a lot of discussion here about what kind of chocolate you can eat, if one kind of no sugar added ice cream is more acceptable than another, or recipes on various "legal sweets." I choose to ignore all these messages because I don't eat any of these items.

10) Even though brown rice is allowed on SB I don't eat rice. Brown rice has about the same GI as sweet corn and I wouldn't eat that under any circumstances.

Those are the basics of my take on Sugarbusters! I am not a nutritionist or any kind of expert, but I have lost a lot of weight following this plan."

Ogden Hall
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 15:24

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

This is another good article that I thought should be at the top of the board... Hope this helps someone..it helped me..