Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 01:55

Plan: LeanGains
Stats: 226/192/180 Female 68 inches
BF:??/??/??
Progress: 74%
Default dry mouth upon waking

First, I must confess that after about 4 months of being Very Good, I've been Very Bad. And the first thing I noticed is that some Very Bad side effects returning, which I would love to attribute to increase carbohydrate intake... if for no other reason than negative reinforcement.

During my second pregnancy, I started waking up at night because my mouth was so dry that my tongue felt swollen and permanently bonded to the roof of my mouth. I blamed it on pregnancy, and later on nursing and accompanying dehydration -- though it turned out later that I had been drinking too much water, resulting in UTIs (hard to believe, huh?).

After about a month of religiously keeping my carbohydrates below 20-30g per day, this dry mouth and its pal The Metallic Taste practically disappeared.

Then begins the Carb Creep -- summer fruit being my major weakness. Then a week of vacation, where staying on the LC plan was nearly impossible. Then the discovery of Diet Rite Kiwi Strawberry soda (NOT buying anymore of that).

One of these things has caused my dry mouth to return immediately. My major suspect is carb creep. Does anyone else get this? Care to comment on it?

Thanks!

Erin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 12:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Erin!

I don't get the dry mouth/metallic taste, but I've heard that that's related to hormones, ie pregnant women often get it. Since insulin is sort of the master hormone, changes in insulin levels will alter your other hormone levels, too. This is usually for the better, that's why PMS, PCOS and other hormone issues improve with LCing. So I hope that's a partial explanation of what's going on.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 14:23

Plan: LeanGains
Stats: 226/192/180 Female 68 inches
BF:??/??/??
Progress: 74%

I am being treated for PCOS and insulin resistance -- and I forgot to take the glucophage yesterday. So that explains quite alot. I continued to worry about it because my daughter is now two years old and it still happens from time to time.

I have an appt with my endocrinologist next week, and I will bring it up then.

Thanks again!

Erin