Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 15:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 137/133/125 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Nuts are like pasta to me...Why?

I have been low carbing since July 3. No pasta or bread or sweets for me. However, when I have almonds or peanuts look out. I can't stop eating them. They have control of me. Thus, no more nuts for me. They are just too high calorie. Several handfuls of almonds are yummy, but I don't even want to estimate my calories!!! Does anyone else have this problem?
Angie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 16:22

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Everyone has something to contend with. Mine vice is sugar rather than nuts but I find I have to avoid it all together. I have no self control so I just leave it alone.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 16:28

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but peanuts are not nuts there are legumes, don't know about almonds... But a LC friend of mine was eating Macadamias for snacks and wasn't losing. So she quit and she's been losing steadily since.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 09:13

Stats: 230/205/180 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 50%

Yeah same here when I eat cashews I become addictive and I end up eating the entire bag or container....I think its the carbs in the cashews...afterwards I start having cravings when I'm not even really all that hungry...I've learned to leave the nuts alone
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 10:02
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

oh definitely, i love nuts. my way around them is to just savor each nut, taking small bites, this way it takes awhile for me to get through with a handful, and the "nut flavor" urge has been pretty much satisfied.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 10:28
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

NUTS!

Oh gosh, where to start. Nuts effect me the same way...kinda like Lays, no one can eat just one. They don't send me into a severe craving like say breads and sweets, but they do have some effect on my cravings. So here is the deal.
First off, its not about the calories. Calories are your friend and better left uncounted till you run into a stall and need to evaluate your diet to see if you've under or over done something. Example, its a GREAT thing to find a salad dressing that is 17G of fat per TBSP and 160 cals!
So the calories in nuts isn't a big deal. However, they do have carbs. But also offer protein, and many wonderful fats and other health benefits. So how to include this without over-doing it?

Well, first you need to determine if they are seriously becoming a problem. If they are, I'd suggest cutting them out completely for a couple of weeks. Secondly, I NEVER EVER buy a can of nuts from the store. I buy a convience store package that contains maybe 2 ozs. Once they are gone, they are gone. I treat nuts on Atkins, like my treat. Same way I treat colas. Its not part of my everyday consumption. I have found that anything I like so much I'd rather pop in my mouth rather than eat my veggies n meats, is something to put a red flag on. It will eventually cost me and I just don't want a nut that bad.

Good luck, hope this helped.

PS If you are on induction, which I am currently ...nuts are not allowed.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 11:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Almonds are one of the things that keep me going. But I'm sure to measure them out in 1/4 cup batches and eat them slowly, one at a time. I do think they slow my progress a bit, though, even in small quantitles.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 12:30
Registered Member

Stats: 242.0/238/105 Female 61inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

I go to Sam's Club and buy the peanuts and I think you can get cashews too in little snak bags. I keep a bag or two on my desk at work and eat them when lunch didn't hold me over or when I have a popcorn craving. I think the net carbs is about 3. They come in a box of 24 for $4.00+. This really helps me not eat 1/2 a can. Plus the conveinence of being so portable. Good Luck!!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 22:18

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I am the same with nuts. I have stopped buying large cans... I just can't handle it. They are just so eatable and the serving size is small compared to what it's easy to ingest. I think they may remind us of those good snacking days of carby chips and such psychologically? Or some of us have a slight intolerance to them and it causes cravings? Either way the most I've been allowing myself is a little natural peanutbutter in the confines of a MEAL. Snacking nuts can be a downfall!