Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 10:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/151/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Complete Standstill

I have been following my Atkins plan to a "T" and have lost 13 pounds in 4.5 weeks. However, I am at a standstill. At the end of my 4th week, my inches and weight were the exact same as week 3. Everyone else that is on this diet seems to continually be losing inches or weight, why have I stopped. I'm still exercising, drinking water, watching salt intake, everything. I'm really getting discouraged and need some advice. Please help. Is this diet for everyone???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 10:58

Stats: 227/202/185 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 60%

I stalled in my 3rd and 4th week then things picked up again. Hang in there - your rate of weigth loss will vary.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 11:01

Stats: 214.9/187/150 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Your not dead, your just resting. (Monty Python joke). Keep up the good work and patiently plug along. Your body really may be resting.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 11:03

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sheryl, it's very normal to have periods where there is no loss, scale or inches. When the body loses fat it needs time to recoup and adjust. While it may seem to you right now that everyone else is losing constantly, it's just not the case. We all have times when nothing appears to be happening. With LC in particular weight is lost in chunks - because what is lost is mainly fat and that is something the body doesn't like to give up.

13 lbs if fantastic. 13 lbs is a sign that while LC isn't the plan for everyone, it's working well for you. Patience is an asset we all need to develop and work on - the goal is sustained fat loss, permanent fat loss, right? It takes time to learn new eating behaviours so that when we do reach goal we know how to sustain it.

Hang tight and don't stress!
-Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 11:19

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:

I went for 5 weeks with no weight loss Between week 2 and week 7 I jumped between 183 and 181.and went down a lb. to 180 then week 8 up a lb ..Just this past month I lost 5-6 lbs. I have been staying right around 174.5 for a week I think. I think tom has something to do with my weight loss , I start losing once tom is over. I have been on this woe for a little over 3 months. Just hang in there.
Cindy
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 11:54

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Post your usual menu.. maybe we can spot something that is causing your stall there.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:01

BF:
Progress:
Default Menu

I usually eat plenty of beef and chicken, most grilled. Have added in some broccoli and grean beans. Also eat my fill of scrambled eggs with cheese and sausage. Eat turkey and ham with mayo and cheese for lunch during the week. Drink the carborite shakes and eat the snack bars. Munch on pork rines, Atkins ice cream. Drink my water in sugar free, actually everything free, lemonade. Mornings sometime include an Atkins breakfast bar. And am going tonight to buy pasta shells, and other low carb things for new things to try.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:07

snack bars.. protein bars?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:12

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Snack Bars

No, the little chocolate candy bars that have only .7 to 1.3 net carbs in them. They are great in between meals if you need a little something to hold you over. Kind of like the Atkins Endulge bars.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:13

I understand. Most of them have a ton of sugar alcohols in them though and are notorious in causing plateaus in many people.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:15

BF:
Progress:
Default Snack Bars

Thanks. I usually eat one to two a day. I'll cut those out and see if that helps. Thanks again.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:15

BF:

They give me gas. Excuse me....... The sugar alcohols. I found the carbwise bars(no sugar alcohols) at Walmart. omg , was it good. It was like a whatchamacallit. It was the size of 2 atkins bars and I think the same price.I can't wait to go back.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:18

BF:

I really think you are just catching up to your weight loss. I wouldn't think its a stall. Like I said before I was stalled for 5 weeks , not because of what I was eating, but because my body was just getting used to this woe.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:19

sheryl, good idea.. let us know how that works out..

cincin, what do they use in place of sugar alcohols? they must put something in there to make it sweet.. splenda? or something else?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:19

BF:
Progress:
Talking Gas

That could be where my gas is coming from too. If I cut them out, guess I'll see if that's what's causing it or not. They are awfully good though and do taste like the real things. I get one that tastes like a Nestle Crunch and another that is like a twix bar. Ummm. But, if it takes getting rid of them to continue on this journey, then so be it.