Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 18:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 267/253/180 Female 5'9
BF:WAY too much
Progress: 16%
Question Walnuts......

I found some walnuts that are 3g carbs and 3g dietary fiber. So that makes them 0 "effective" carbs right? I have been munching on them today and I have LOVED it. Please tell me they are "legal"!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 18:35

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I must have found the same ones you did. But beware if they have less than a gram they can say 0. I count them as 1 gram per 1/4 cup serving.
3 carbs minus 2 grams fiber = 1.0 gram. Good luck
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 19:06
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

They probably already have subracted the fiber from the total carb count. There is a reason no nuts on induction after all

Pper 1/4 cup (about a small handfull) walnuts have 4g carbs and 2g fiber, as well as close to 200 calories. If you manage to eat an entire cup
you're having close to 800 calories and 16g carbs with 8g fiber.

Nuts a re a great snack, and work wonderfully in recipes. I wouldn't graze on them though or you may finish off the can and amass not only a ton of carbs, but high cals and sodium. Seperate them into single serving freezer begs and stuff in freezer. Use them in cooking to stretch them out, or sprinkled on salads.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 20:55

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia R
I found some walnuts that are 3g carbs and 3g dietary fiber. So that makes them 0 "effective" carbs right?
Tricia, here's a little rule of thumb that might help you; anything that isn't a pure fat (butter, oil, lard, ) or a protein (fowl, meat, fish, pork, etc) is going to have some carbs to it.

Walnuts are great nuts to eat, when you do eat them - they have a nice percentage of omega essential fatty acids. Just be aware that all nuts have some carbs, and some have more than others, and some aren't even nuts! (peanuts are legumes not nuts). They are a great way to include fiber, unsaturate fats and variety to your menu once you're out of Induction

-Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 21:00
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Yup, my bet is the fiber was already subtracted...my pitfall is portion size. I have to really MEASURE to get used to the "right" size. My "1/4c servings" were closer to 2/3c!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 07:23

Stats: 267/253/180 Female 5'9
BF:WAY too much
Progress: 16%

So they subtract the fiber from the carbs and then list the fiber seperately? How can they do that? How misleading!! Dumb Walnut company!!!

Thanks you guys!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 07:25

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Nuts are a good source of dietary fat but in moderation. I never go over 1.5 oz of nuts in one day and it is helping cut my cravings (I need the crunch) and keeps me satisfied between meals.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 07:27

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Tricia, it's something a lot of companies have started doing of late. It used to be an infrequent occurance, but now it's become more common. If in doubt, you can always do the math. 1g of carbs and 1g of protein will have 4 calories. 1g of fat will have 9 calories. All the calories should add up to the calorie number for a single serving. If it doesn't then your most likely culprit is the fiber.

In the Newbies' Questions forum you'll find a sticky on reading lables, there's more help and advice in there on this subject, FYI.

-Nat