Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 16:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/229/150
BF:
Progress:
Default what can I have??

I need to know what kind of sweet stuff I can have on this induction process - I keep screwing myself up!! Can I have diet 7Up and Crystal Light?? Can I have beef jerky? Are there any sweet treats that I can use inmoderation??

Thanks for your help!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 20:48

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

You can make sugar-free jello with whipped cream. (this is the standard dessert)
you can have anything as long as you stay under the 20g carbs. Beef jerky is good too but it has carbs unless you make your own. You can drink the diet drinks but some people get stalled if they take in a lot of aspartame. Some people don't get affected.
Keep everything in moderation and you'll be fine.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 08:27

BF:
Progress:

And when I am counting carbs, I count the things I am eating besides the meat, cheese, and veggies?? Like cream in the coffee and Jerky, etc... I haven't been counting the carbs in the meat and cheese and stuff. Am I supposed to? I have a thick head obviously!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 08:37

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Jen-
When you are counting carbs you count all the carbs in everything you eat. Some people subtract fiber, some don't.
There is a very helpful carb counting tool on this board. (i believe it is up top of the page under Tools)

Do you have a specific plan you are following? Atkins, etc? Also, have you read any books?

Good luck to you!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 08:43

BF:
Progress:

I am doing Atkins and it says that the lists of cheeses, meats, and veggies are "free" foods - I thought that meant that I could eat as much as I wanted of those without having to count - If you count all of meat you eat, it would probably add up to 20 easy so how is it that he says you can eat as much of those things as you want? I am totally confused - I have people here at work that have done it that are telling me that I don't have to count those things! Wow - I want to do it right so bad but I am not sure what is "right"!!

Thanks for your help!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 08:45

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Welcome, Jen!

Jen, the best way to be successful at low carbing is to arm yourself with knowledge. You've come to the right place! Read everything you can get your hands on, including the book. It sounds like you're on Atkins - have you read his New Diet Revolution? Protein Power, by the Eadses, is a good complementary volume to Atkins - the two plans are quite similar. We're here to answer questions, but even this forum can't put everything into the same kind of total perspective that the books can.

Rachel
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 08:49

BF:
Progress:

I have read Atkins but I guess I missed the part where he told how to count - I have a carb counter but I was under the understanding that the things on the list were "free" foods not to be counted...he said to have as much as I want! I am not eating that much and I can feel that my body feels good but I think I keep doing little things to screw up!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 08:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jen,

Real meat - unprocessed, has no carbs. Dairy products have carbs.

We were all at the place you are right now and wondering what the right way to proceed was.

I kept on reading and re-reading Protein Power, Diet Revolution and lurked around low-carb sites until I felt fully informed.

With information, you control your own destiny.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 08:54

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Jen, you posted at exactly the same time I did, and you answered my question!

The only totally 'free' foods Atkins lists are on p. 94 of New Diet Revolution: meat, fish, fowl, shellfish, eggs, and cheese. He notes some exceptions: meats with nitrites or sugar added, and also cheese, which have some carbs (it's in the footnote). In fact, shellfish, eggs, and beef/chicken liver have some carbs also. If you eat one or two eggs or an ounce of crab or liver it's not likely to throw you off your plan, but to be on the safe side, it's better to count these carbs also, though Atkins doesn't say so specifically.

Salads are limited to three cups a day - no veggies are free.

Fresh, unprocessed meats such as chicken, beef, pork, fish, lamb, etc. really ARE zero carbs and so you can eat these to your heart's (and stomach's) content. When in doubt, use a carb counter (there's one on this site under 'tools').

Rachel
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 08:59

BF:
Progress:

Thanks a million ladies! I have definately learned a lot from looking at other people's experiences - I have just been trying to find an "easy" way through induction (as far as my sweet tooth goes) and I just have to have some self control! I have no desire to cheat - I have to fit into that wedding dress...and I am doing water aerobics, kickboxing, and an aerobic dance class so that should give me a boost!

Thanks for all the replies, I understand a little more about what I am supposed to do!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 09:04

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

Jengreen,
I am sure you are doing fine in this diet...even with small mixups, you are still losing weight.

There is a page in the Atkins book where he says that not ALL cheese is the same.. For example Cottage Cheese has 2-3g (I think) of carbs per serving.. if you're not careful it can add up!.. If you buy meat straight from the butchers i.e. NOT Processed unlike processed hotdogs, canned corned beef etc... something 'real' it has no carbs, but if you buy processed foods like those i mentioned or deli meat it has 'very little' carbs.. but you should count it in..b/c 1g here and 1g there will add up in induction. The reason for this is that processed meat has added sugar. Look at the ingredients and the label. Some people are able to find processed foods without sugar.
Personally i count carbs in cheese, processed meats, and eggs even. It's less than 1g per egg, but i just round it up to 1g. With cheese it depends... it may say 'less than 1g' on the label... but to be on the safe side i round it up. Don't forget about fish...fresh fish has no carbs..but some canned fish does.. Shellfish has some carbs i don't know how much... check the tools link above.

Almost everything processed has added sugar..from ketchup, bbq sauce, salad dressing etc... if you eat those count the carbs.