Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 07:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Induction longer then 2 weeks?

I'm doing the Atkin's diet and today is day #8.

I'm curious, if there are any health risks to staying in the induction phase longer then 2 weeks. Has anyone stayed in the induction phase longer? Does the weight keep coming off at a steady pace with continued induction? Or is that generally avoided because of possible health risks?

I would appreciate any thoughts or expierence on this.

Thanks!
~Jaya
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 07:35
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Hi Jaya:

From what I have read and heard, there are no real dangers on staying in the induction phase. I am near the end of week 4 and have been on induction, keeping between 10 and 15 carbs a day, since the beginning. Your weight loss will slow, but you will generally lose more in induction than in the Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL) phase.
The real danger in staying on induction is getting sick of the food. Induction doesn't allow much variety and sometimes being able to introduce a few new veggies, etc. keeps the monotony away and will make it easier. Hope that helps... mad
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 07:48

BF:

Thanks Mad! That helps tremendously!

I think I'm going to stick with induction for an additional couple of weeks - or until I need to add some new foods! So far I am not tired of these foods as there are so many different ways I can prepare them and am just ecstatic that I can drink something other then water from time to time! (Bless the makers of Splenda!)

Thanks so much!

~Jaya
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 07:51
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Jaya:

You have the right attitude for success! Keep an eye on your potassium and calcium levels. You may want to take a multivitamin and some supplements if you start feeling tired or get cramps at night.... mad
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 08:31

Stats: 416/369/185 Male 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 20%

I've been on Induction since May 27th with no problems. The DANDR says it's safe six months or more even. I just make sure my 20 carbs a day are from plenty of veggies and take my supplements.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 18:58

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have been on induction since May 12th, I did try to bump up to 25 carbs and I quit losing so....gonna stay on this until I lose it all.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 20:29

Plan: CAD
Stats: 333/319/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I believe it says in DANDR you can continue induction as long as you want.

I found this on the Atkin's website:

"A lot of people think of Induction as lasting only two weeks, but it can be followed for a longer time. If you have a lot of weight to lose or have difficulty losing weight, you might want to do Induction for quite a while. That way you'll see dramatic progress before moving on to the more moderate phases of the program."
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 07:29

BF:

Thank you everyone for your replies! I'm definitely going to stay on induction indefinitely until I either need to introduce more foods or I get to my target goal. It seems to me the last time I did Atkins I was only able to maintain weight loss with a max of 25 carbs - so if that's right this time, it doesn't make sense to stop what I'm doing and risk stalling out next week.

I've also decided to join Curves ----- I have to go one night this week and check it out (hopefully my DH will get home early one night so I can do this!). Their running a 1/2 off deal for sign up, but I won't be able to devote time each week to do it until my 3 year old starts nursery school the week of the 15th. Unfortunately my husband usually doesn't get home until very late at night and I have no babysitter - but once my little one starts Nursery school (my older daughter starts 1st grade on the 3rd) I'll have 3 hours, twice a week, to myself and I'll be able to get over their and work out. I'm looking foward to actually doing something for ME for a change that doesn't involve my kids or my DH!

Thanks you all for the encouragement!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 10:05

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 353/298.5/199 Male 6'2"
BF:No Idea
Progress: 35%

Hi,

I have been on induction since April 1st, 2003 - no problems. But the weight loss has almost stopped for the past few weeks.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 10:43

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

I plan on doing induction strictly by the book for at LEAST 6 months.... I am currently weaning my little daughter. ALmost done once she is done hopefully within a week I will be restarting. For now I am just adding a tiny bit of fruit and nuts and stuff so I dont pass her ketones.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 11:22
Registered Member

Stats: 241/196/157 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I stayed on induction for the first four months and to be honest I haven't really come off it (when I am behaving). I just got into the habit of eating the portion sizes and the types of food. It suits me and I fell great so I will continue to stick to it till that changes. I just don't get too hard on myself if I break on a weekend.