Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 12:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/214/175 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy To break or not to break

First off let me say "Hi" as I just joined the forum and am looking forward to being a part of this community.

I've lost about 15lbs so far and I have about 40 more to go. I think I read in Dr. Atkins book (I think that was the book) that if you reach a plateau that you may need to take a break from the program and then go back to induction to jump start the weight loss again.

I did take a break once during the 1.5 months that I've been on atkins for about two weeks, more because of two solid weeks of travel for my job than anything else (that was after one month on the plan). When another month comes along, should I break again? If so, for how long..one week, two weeks?

I am still in Ketosis and am still losing weight though not as fast as some people seem to be losing.

Any ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 17:42
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%

Hi and welcome to this forum,

don't get frustrated about a slower weightloss..even if the scale is moving slow, you may still lose fat. Take your measurements and check them as well

You found a great place for information and support. You may want to start your own journal. A great place for your day to day stuff and to meet new people.

Hope to read more from you

#3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 19:19
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello and welcome!

I wouldn't recommend taking a break per se... it can be really hard to get back on the wagon. Many of us have jump-started ourselves just by changing the routine. Start working out if you aren't already. If you are, switch things up. Do something totally different. Change the foods you're eating, perhaps cut some of the common stallers like cheese or artificial sweeteners. Little things like that. HTH.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 23:24
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

I don't know that he says to take a break from the program, but to drop a level-go back down to strict induction for a while. Or, as suggested above-shake up your routine with exercise and make sure you are getting enough water. Some of us say we are induction for the long term, but I can't be the only one that gets a bit loose with the carb count from day to day.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 13:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/151/140 Female 5ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 50%
Cool Hello from texas

Me and some of my friends take a brake for only one day a month. that is all. It seemed to work but then we went back to induction for 2 weeks. My friends have a lot more weight to lose than I do so I keep them going. We have also found that the Atkin's bars and shakes can stall weight loss. So can Aspertane for some people.
You have come to a great place for ideas and great recipes. There are so many things you can eat on Atkin's. Try to put everything you eat everyday in a journal on here and people will give you tips and maybe you will see what it is. Use fitday.com for counting carbs it is a great tool.
Be sure to be eating 3 cups a day of veggies and make sure they are the ones you are aloud to eat. Try to re read the Atkin's book. Maybe you missed something or just forgot. Be sure to drink 8 glasses at least of water a day. You will slow down weight loss on the scale sometimes.
Please let us know what works for you.
Keep in touch and don't give up.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 14:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/214/175 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:
Cool So much support!

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I have this site bookmarked and I check it quite a bit during the day. I go to the Dr next Tuesday so I'll see them if I have made any progress!

The encouragement is much appreciated!