Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 17:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204/196.5/170 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:tooooo much
Progress: 22%
Angry Help the weight is not coming off

Help, I've been on the atkins introduction stage for over 3 weeks (20 grams of carbs a day), and I've only lost 3 pounds. I'm still confused about net carbs and sugar alcohol. Ive read the book but still am having problems understanding it. I eat the atkins advantage bars, and shakes, Am I allowed those during the introduction stage? Am I allowed them? Also I bought those ketone strips, and it only turns pink, or marroon, during mid afternoon, or night. Never in the morning. I'm starting to lose hope, can someone give me support, or advise. Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 17:44
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'd say cut out the bars and shakes for a while, it may help. Could you post a sample menu of an average day? It would help to see what and how much you're eating.

Otherwise, a pound a week is a sane rate of loss. Not everyone has those "rabbit" stages. Check the "turtle Club" thread..
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 17:47

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansmom6
Ive read the book but still am having problems understanding it. I eat the atkins advantage bars, and shakes, Am I allowed those during the introduction stage? Am I allowed them?
Lisa, sugar alcohols are a very individual thing, we like to say Your Milage May Vary (YMMV). They cause no problems for some, for others it's a different story. They can cause intestinal distress, gas and bloating - they can also cause some people to stall.

I would suggest doing 2 weeks of Induction w/o the bars and see what that nets you. The shakes, BTW, don't have this problem as they do not contain sugar alcohols.

-Nat
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 19:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%

I agree with what is said about sticking to strick Induction without any of the Food products. May I also suggest that you really increase you water intake to help keep your body hydrated!

Best luck!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 19:50
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

as a rule of thumb, if a sugar substitute which contains many grams of fake sugar does not cause stool softening it means you are absorbing it rather than just passing it. cut it out from your diet. many people have a problem with sugar alcohol for this reason.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 15:36

Stats: 416/369/185 Male 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 20%

Stick with it. Weight loss on this WOE seems to come in steps rather than a smooth linear decent.
All of a sudden the scale will move.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 15:57

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

Are you taking any medication? How is your thyroid?
What are you eating outside of bars and shakes? Do you use fitday?