Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 12:38

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%
Default Induction and breastfeeding...can anyone help?

I KNOW the book says induction is not for pregnancy and breastfeeding but I figured that warning typically only applies to ppl nursing infants or vhildren under a year. I am nursing a toddler and many friends who are doing atkins are also nursing... today my poor baby is screaming and her whole body smeels stinky..like the ketosis stink. I dont really have the stink bu she does and she is all red and rashy too...

Now....I havent cheated in a week. I do not know where to go to find the answers to this though... even if I wean her I cant just do it cold turkey... am I going to have to add some carbs until she's weaned or what??? I am VERY worried that I might have harmed her in some way.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 12:55

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

Please take your toddler to the doctor. It could be anything from a food or other allergy (assuming that she's also eating solid foods) to a simple childhood illness.

Good luck to you.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 14:15

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I agree, get her in to see the doctor ASAP
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 14:41
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 125/115/112 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I agree, it could be anything... I'd get her to the doc asap...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 14:52

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

In addition, if the Doctor (whom I'm hoping you're already at) can't help beyond treating the acute symptoms your daughter has, this is the sort of technical question that is (no offense, folks!) above the heads of all of us forumites.

I would contact the Atkins Center.
http://atkins.com/about/atkins-center/index.html
Note these are not the same yahoos you get when you call the 800 #. There may be a cost involved, but I'm certain they would be able to give you more information.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 15:20

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

yes..I was hoping some doctors were on here...lol never know. I did contact Atkins center... I didnt take her to the doctor. It's jsut diaper rash... well and the ketone smell but it only comes when she goes potty. I am going to slightly up my carbs I guess and work on weaning her I am just ready to work on me and it's time that I cant put ME on the back burner any longer. Thanks you for replying all of you.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 17:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

I think the atkinscenter probably told you that you shouldnt feel the baby during a weight loss stage of atkins. Its not fair to the baby to be taking in ketones, even if it is a toddler, and even if your friends are doing it. It doesnt mean you cant lose weight, it just means you should do the maintenance stage of atkins and control your calories and exercise. The weight will come off if you do those things. Like go for walks with the baby and your friends and just making sure you dont go past a reasonable number of calories, like 500 less than it takes to maintain your body weight, the weight will come off that way, and at no risk to your child.