Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 08:31
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%
Question Supplements Question

Okay, I know the Atkins diet inside and out, however, I cannot for the life of me understand this part.
When I was successful before on Atkins, I simply skipped the vitamins part. Now, I want to make sure I am following everything as best as I can. So here's my problem. I want to make sure what I am taking is enough and correct. I am taking Basic 3 and Dieter's Advantage. Now, here's the problem. I look on the label of Basic 3 and its 3 a day! Holy moly, do I seriously need to take 3 of those a day?? I have been taking 1-2 of those daily and 1 Dieter's Advantage. And even that says 2 times a day! I also bought those Omega Oils and gooooooodneeeessss gracious, I can't stand to even open the bottle much less attempt to get one of those in my mouth. They stink to high heaven!
So any suggestions, knowledge and advice, I'd sure appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:08
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I used to have trouble taking any kind of pill.

So, many years ago, I started with just a children's chewable vitamin. Then I added vitamin C and chromium. Then I got chewable calcium/magnesium. Then I realized that my cal/mag didn't have enough magnesium and added that. Then I got pregnant and tried to eat those prenatal vitamins with less success. (My baby is going to be a year old next week!)

Nowadays I take a one a day, with a cal/mag, a C, an E with B complex, and a fish oil. I take them again in the evening with supper, except for the one a day. Sometimes I supplement with a chromium or potassium if I think I need them. I've also been known to take L-glutamine sometimes.

You don't have to take Dr. Atkins supplements but you should take something. You can work up slowly to it like I did. I find it easier to take them with food.

You shouldn't be able to smell the omega oils, I don't think. I've had good luck with just fish oil capsules. They might be rancid or punctured or something.

Good luck!

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/235/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Dr A's vitamins would leave me broke... I shop Walmart for my vits mostly.

One Source and Spring Valley are wonderful low cost alternatives and I don't have any complaints with my success on this WOE.

Breakfast:
1 High Potency Multi-Vitamin (One Source brand)
1 B-Complex 150 (GNC brand)
2 Potassium 99 (Spring Valley brand)
1 Extra Strength Fish Oil (Spring Valley brand)
Lunch:
1 Extra Strength Fish Oil
Bedtime:
1 Calcium 600 (Spring Valley brand)

The fish oil I take has no smell whatsoever. I tried taking a Valerian Root before to help me sleep... the smell alone sent me running to the bathroom - I don't know how you do it!

Last edited by lissame : Fri, Aug-22-03 at 10:41.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 13:47

Plan: South Beach 11/8/04
Stats: 235/138/130 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I take the Basic #3 3 times a day, one after each meal. I also take Dieters Advange 2 pills twice a day for a total of 4. I take two one hour before my morning workout and two one hour before my dinner meal. I also take a probiotic twice a day for de yeasting.