Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 20:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/205/165 Male 5 foot 9 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default unlimited foods???

Hi all,
I want to start by saying that i have read the Diet revolution book. I know that when you are on the atkins diet you can have unlimited amounts of certain carb free foods ( some cheeses and meats) but i was wondering if having large amounts of these foods on the diet would hinder weight loss. I guess I'm still not sure how the whole thing works.
Thanks
Paul<><
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 20:27

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

You cannot eat unlimited cheeses.
see
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html
and
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html
on how to begin.

print the allowed foods list. When you begin, that's all you are to have, in the quanitities listed.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 20:27

Plan: South Beach 11/8/04
Stats: 235/138/130 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

As far as cheese goes, it is not unlimited Dr. A suggest 3 to 4 oz per day at most. I don't believe that any of the foods are actually what I a person would call unlimited. Dr. Atkins said to eat when hungry and not until stuffed or full, only until satisfied. Also he says that even though we don't really count calories on this WOL/WOE that calories do count. So if you want to reach a goal weight of 165 your calorie intake should range from 1650 to 1980 a day, therefore if you ate unlimited amounts of food even with a low carb intake, you may still not see the loss you hope for.
These foods such as the ones on the induction list of acceptable foods should be eaten liberally, not unlimited.
Hope I was able to answer your question somewhat.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 20:28

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

also you may eat meats liberally, until you are satisfied, but you are not supposed to gorge yourself.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 05:21

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

The idea behind Atkins is that once you start eating this way, your appetite will be reduced and you will be self-limiting.
If you go to the atkins center as a patient they will give you limitations on food, they will tell you that even no carb food must be limited, they will give you a menu that you strictly follow. Often portions are 6 ounces of steak or chicken, and cream or butter sauces once or twice a week maximum. I am not sure if it is spelled out in DANDR because I get a lot of info from a friend that went to the center, although I read the book a few times. I remember that Dr A describes a normal portion of protein to be the size of a pack of cigarettes.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 08:20
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi,
I just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents worth. Dr. Atkins gives clear instructions on what and how much you can have in DANDR. He states that you are on a qualitive diet now, NOT a quanative. Which translates to, eat only the foods you're allowed, but eat till satisfied, with the exception of the foods he specified limits on. (cheese no more than 4 oz a day, limit organ meats, limit cream-olives-lemon juice, and you're 2 cups salad 1 cup low carb veggies, etc)
After having done this before and not putting a calorie cap on it, not even THINKING of calories, and following those rules, I now realize why. Someone else mentioned it, but its the neatest thing. You're body will start to regulate its quanity all on its own! That's probably one of the coolest parts. I always have found that I ate more during induction than even later, cos my body started only giving me signals when real hunger was there. I still liked the taste of foods, but wasn't controlled by them.

Also ya know, who really can binge on meat and cheese anyway? It can't be easy I'd guess. lol