Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 08:46

Plan: General
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:you kidding me?
Progress: 60%
Default Is there a way to up fat

without upping your calories to an extreme?

I mean, I love country ribs, bacon, butter, all that stuff. But the calories are out of this world! How can I increase my fat intake without blowing my calories out of the water? I am asking because I seem to be at another one of those standstills, and I noticed my fat intake averages about 63%. Should it be higher?

I need advice!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 10:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

I would love to know the answer to that, also. Especially since I've heard that we should be getting 70% of our daily intake from fat.

Great question Ichihuahua. I'll be keeping an eyeball on this thread.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 10:29

Stats: 200/???/120 Female 5' 3
BF:way/too/much!!
Progress: 0%

I don't know how many calories it has, but I've heard olive oil is a great way to up your fat. I use it with everything!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 11:09
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Olives are great, too, and not as caloric as olive oil.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: ???
Stats: 145/145/127 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%

flax seed oil is supposed to be very good for you. I recently incorporated it into my diet. I dip my veggies in it and my hardboiled eggs too.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 11:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Im doing the fat fast, which to me isnt that different from atkins, and Ive lost 4 lbs in 3 days, it deffinatly works! If you eat fattening food, eat smaller portions, it really does keep you full. Instead of eating eggs, eat egg salad or deviled eggs. For lunch, eat cream cheese mixed with tuna wrapped (lettuce opintional). Actually have cream with your coffee, topped with whipping cream, yum! Use cheese and butter on your veggies. There are tons of way to up the fat, just pay extra attention to the carbs in these fats, they do have some, but trust me if you can up the fat without raising your calories intake, you will lose faster! I feared fat for so many years, its been really hard to adjust to this perspective. In fact the only thing that truly made me believe was the scale.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 12:27

Plan: low cal,less pro. atkins
Stats: 138/130/118 Female 179 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 40%

Since fat is really calorie heavy, I don't think anything with high fat is very low for portion size. That is probably why the whole low-fat diet is advocated. It has so many fewer calories. Some foods that are really high in fat, that are not meat, are walnuts and macadamia nuts. I think so far the best thing ever that I have found is Philadelphia creme cheese. It has 100 calories per oz., which is 2 tablespoons. Eat 2 ounces of it mixed with a packet of splenda and it is less than 200 calories for a good dessert. If you do induction, since it is a semi-soft cheese, you can count that as 2 ounces. I try not to eat meat all the time because it's high in protien and too much can turn to clucose, but my favorite thing to have is chicken with the skin left on it. Fry it in olive oil for more fat. One last thing that is good are avacodos. On induction you can up to a half of one. I think they are kind of bland, but the texture is thick kind of like a bread, so I eat them along with tuna mixed with olive oil and a tablespoon of mayonaisse.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 12:39

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsve
I try not to eat meat all the time because it's high in protien and too much can turn to clucose
Tsve, if you eat Low Carb this does not matter the same was as if you eat high carb, the glucose that is created is done so w/o insulin, and it is not stored as fat.

Gluconeogenesis - click me

-Nat
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 12:49
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

With Atkins the key is to count carbs.

I love salads w/ lots of dressing personally.

Greek salads w/ feta, veggies, olives and dressing.

Caesar w/ grilled chicken or shrimp and loads of parm cheese and caesar dressing.

Tossed salad w/ boiled shrimp, veggies and homemade russian dressing (atkins ketchup and mayo)

Fundementally lowers calories to have a big salad as a meal but raises fat by the dressings and cheeses usually.

Just one way that works for me.