Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 07:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 332/283/175 Female 5' 9  "
BF:
Progress: 31%
Angry Working out and gaining weight???

When I first started Atkins back in May I went walking every morning. I was losing weight, but it was not as fast as I wanted. I stopped working out about 3 weeks ago and the pounds have been dropping off. I wanted to start working out again. Last week I started on my elliptical machine and this week I gained weight!!! I have been really good with no cheating, proper H2O intake. I am really frustrated. I want to be healthy and thin. I know that some people will say that it is muscle, but how can I be gaining that much muscle in less than a week? When will it click with my body and start losing weight again? Help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 07:14
Registered Member

Stats: 155/144.5/125 Female 62
BF:39%/36%/24%
Progress: 35%

YOU've probably gained muscle which ways more then fat!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 07:15
Registered Member

Stats: 167/145/145 Male 5'6
BF:27%/23.45%/23.45%
Progress: 100%

read this bad boy!
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=123029
this is what happends to me ...during the week days I'm working out and gaining weight up and down , on the weekends i'm resting a losing weight
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 07:17
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

SMALLER NOT LIGHTER SHOULD BE THE LOW CARB EXERCISERS GOAL!!!!

Weight will eventually slip off but building muscle and looking leaner is the goal of most fit people.

Take measurements and be healthy and watch your body continue to change in healthy and beautiful ways!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 08:38

Stats: 299/249/165 Female 71"
BF:fat, what fat? LOL
Progress: 37%

I was getting frustrated that I wasn't losing hwile I was doing light weight training. When I took a break from it for a week I started losing again. I don't get ti either. maybe our bodies hold onto water when we work out more???????????????
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 09:00

Stats: 150/146/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 20%

I agree that it's how you look rather than what the scale says. I set my goal at 125 and have not been able to get below 130. The funny this is, I don't really care how much I weigh now because I know that I look good! I've lost inches (3 pants sizes since Jan) and the hard work really shows. I exercise 5 days a week, no matter what, because I feel so good afterward. Being healthy includes being height/weight proportionate, but you have to take care of your whole body, inside and out.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 09:16

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by babeez1
I was getting frustrated that I wasn't losing hwile I was doing light weight training. When I took a break from it for a week I started losing again. I don't get ti either. maybe our bodies hold onto water when we work out more???????????????

Water and energy (i.e. fat). If you're eating X amount and you're losing weight w/o exercise then you've found that happy ground where you're taking in enough energy that fat burning can take place. Makes sense, right?

So if you throw exercise into this you'd automatically think "I should lose even more". Often this isn't the case. Why? Because you've just increased the caloric deficit between what you eat and what you burn, and it's likely you increased it too much. A deficit that is too big puts stress on your body. It doesn't matter if the difference between what's going in and what's going out comes from restricted calories or exercise. Too much = too much stress = a ceasation of fat burning.

Try increasing your calories slightly when you increase your activity and see if that doesn't get the fat coming off again.

-Nat