Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 06:55
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206/186/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 56%
Question too much water

Is there such thing as too much water? I have been drinking around 168 ounces of water everyday. A friend of mine not on atkins told me that I was drinking way too much and that too much water does not eliminate. Is this true?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 07:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:

i've never heard of that. but excessive thirst could be a sign of diabetes I think. if you are concerned, you should ask a doctor.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 07:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206/186/170 Female 5'9
BF:

I am not concerned about diabetes, just want to make sure i flush out all that fat!!!!! Besides by drinking all this water it helps me stay away from coffee. I was a six a day coffee drinker before this. I am quite sure water is better than coffee!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 07:21

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have never heard that you can drink too much water, I don't think that is possible. Ask the person who told you that to show you where they got those facts.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 07:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/180/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 44%

I hear it all the time from doctors. It has something to do with your electrolytes (it throws it off)

You just have to figure out what is too much for you. I just recently found out that I cant drink more than a gallon. If I do my hands and ankles will swell the same way they do when i'm not drinking enough. If u are not having any problems then u may be good to go but yes I do believe that u can drink too much but that depends on the person

Check out this article this was the quickest thing I could find

http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_c...questionId=6027

Last edited by Dee30 : Wed, Aug-20-03 at 07:35.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 10:29
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Too much water can flush out potassium and sodium. That is why workers in the desert will take salt pills. Unless you are working extreamly hard in high heat and drinking tons of water, then I wouldn't worry. Sipping, and 168 oz is not alot of water. You should be taking potassium supplim,ents on this WOE as is, unless you know you are getting more then enough from foods. Sodium depletion is probably not a worry as everything these days has salt injected into it, including raw meats.

I drink 400-500oz of water every day. I have no problems because of this. I take 6 of those 99mg potassium suppliments per day, and watch my sodium intake trying to match the UK RDA not US as it is around half of what they tell us to eat. Drinking higher amounts of water helps to flush water weight out as you are keeping your muscles continually hydrated and they aren't hanging on to what they have. High sodium days can cause more water retention. If you are having problems in that area, cut back ont he sodium and drink green tea, a natural duretic.