Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 14:53
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkin's Nutritional Approach
Stats: 254/251/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 3%
Unhappy Fairly New And Discouraged

[FONT=arial black][SIZE=4]
Hi, my name is Jeanne and I have been on and off Atkin's since June 23. I do so well and then I slip and have a really hard time going back to it. Like right now, for breakfast and lunch, I am usually perfect and then dinner comes and I have a little over the carbs that I should be having, I get so tempted. I think it is due to my husband not being on any sort of diet. Not that that is a good enough reason, I should be able to control myself, he doesn't have a gun to my head forsing me to eat the potatoes, bread etc. I have alot of weight to lose as do us all and I can't seem to keep motivated. I know quite a few people doing Atkin's and I am really jealous that they can stick to it and I can't. I just don't know what to do anymore, I feel destined to be fat. I have tried every new diet that comes out....HELP
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 17:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

Hey Jeanne,

we've all been there- I am recently back ontrack after a 2 mth hiatus and an 11pd gain... my BF is not on any plan himself which makes our meals tough aswell. I am doing the CAD (Carbohydrate Adicts Plan) this alows me to have a very strict first 2 meals of the day and one balanced reward meal at night....it works for me...I can incorporate some high carb treats with my dinner and still am managing to lose weight...there is a lot of other things invovled in the diet aswell...but feel free to check out the CAD forum or the Website...
Atkins wasn't for me...couldn't stick with..
**BUT I KNOW LOTS OF PEOPLE CAN** I say that because sometimes when you bring up the CAD diet to some Atkinsers they jump down your throat--- don't want to offend anyone, but trust me it happens.....

ANYWAYS

I know that destined to be fat idea...I have had that many many times especially this past year when I am trying to be on good behaviour with diet...and just kept failing to stick with it each day...

Keep up the good work you've lost 7 pds....thats 7 more then when you first started...that is great!!

Remember to keep checking back to here for support!

Take Care and Good Luck
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 05:51

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

Hi Jeanne, Welcome to the forum! The best way to stick with Atkins is to get rid of your carb cravings and the best way to do that is to get through Induction. I know the first few days can be difficult, especially if you are tempted by what others in your household are eating, but once you get those cravings out of your system, it'll be a whole lot easier.

As Saweetie mentioned, you may be more comfortable on CAD since you'd be able to have some of the carby foods at dinner w/your husband. You may even start off with CAD and move onto something stricter, like Atkins, when you are ready. I've tried CAD myself, but found that the carby foods at the 'reward meal' just kept those cravings alive for me. Once I started Atkins, I lost all my cravings for the carby foods and have almost no desire to eat between meals. It seems to be what I needed, but you may need something else.

Good luck with whatever you decide and CONGRATULATIONS on your 7# loss!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 10:02

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

How's it going today?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 12:18
Registered Member

Stats: 320/298/155 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCchickFL
Hi Jeanne, Welcome to the forum! The best way to stick with Atkins is to get rid of your carb cravings and the best way to do that is to get through Induction. I know the first few days can be difficult, especially if you are tempted by what others in your household are eating, but once you get those cravings out of your system, it'll be a whole lot easier.

I'd have to agree with this.

I too have a family that isn't on this plan, and they are big time carb addicts. I'm hoping by my example that they'll soon start controlling that on their own.

Anyway, I started my fifth week of induction and have lost 19 pounds, this is a big motivator.

But in the beginning yes it was a bit difficult. But honestly all I can say is follow the induction phase as closely as possible and you will not find yourself hungry at all.

Don't constantly eat, but eat when you do feel hunger. Just make sure they are low carb high protein snacks.

Every time I had a hunger pang in the beginning I would grab something like a hardboiled egg, dip it into ranch dressing and roll it around in bacon bits...LOL. And I still lost like 9 pounds the first week!.

I also noticed that my cravings went from wanting candies, ice cream, breads etc to constantly craving a big ol' juicy steak.

You can do it. And you can look at that potato and bread and know you don't want it when you've just had a delicious steak, or 3 egg omelette with mushrooms and cheese and 4 slices of bacon.

I went through a difficult time this last week for about 3-4 days until it was pointed out in another thread that I wasn't eating enough fat.

And they were right. I went back and started making sure I was getting plenty of fat in my diet and boom...the hunger pangs dropped again *for carbs that is* and I finally dropped out of the 305-308 range and am now 300-301.

You can do it. Just eat plenty that will keep you satisfied so you won't have those cravings.

Work on busting those carb cravings first and then worry about the weight loss last. Because with the first you will surely experience the last.

Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 14:46

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

My husband is in perfect shape/health and he is also following Atkins for ME....there is no reason he has to eat tempting foods like bread and potatoes when i have such a hard time with it....we eat breakfast together...and dinner together...he eats exactly as i do...but probably a bit more food...then when he's not with me he can eat what he wants....no..he doesn't have to do this...but he knows what a hard time i have being around food i can't have...so he's willing to do it for me...I think any spouse should do that...

You may want to ask your family to do this...why not? No one will be deprived...you can eat fantastic healthy meals and not even know it is low carb if you put your mind to it

Just my opinion..if you are struggling...your loved ones should be doing whatever they can to help
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 19:23

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

*sigh* I wish my husband would follow the plan with me.... plus I need to get my kids off sugar!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 21:19

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
You may want to ask your family to do this...why not? No one will be deprived...you can eat fantastic healthy meals and not even know it is low carb if you put your mind to it

I have wondered about this. Some of the food "we" eat is healthy for everyone, but other things are so high in fat they wouldn't be appropriate for people who are also eating lots of carbs at other meals.