Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 359/318/250 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Question about a reaction when eating.

Let me introduce myself...My name is Cody and I have been doing this thing for a week now (with my wife). We have had a pretty good week (I have lost 14 pounds) but I am not disillusioned by the fact of the weight loss...it is mostly water weight the first week or two.

Anyway...

I have come to the point where everytime I eat I get this flush feeling in my face and can feel the change in my skin of my arms, like I am having a hot flash of some sort. This has been going on for about 3 days now. I don't think it is a problem, I kind of like it. It makes me feel like my body's furnace just turned up to burn the calories

Now my question!
Have anyone else experienced this? If so...do you know the cause? How long does it last? If it stops does that mean my furnace just shut down because I have consumed too many carbs?

Thanks in advance for any comments and answers

Cody
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 12:13
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

A lot of people notice this phenomena. I'm not sure of the exact reason, but I've been told it's part of the fat-burning process. It may eventually stop or lessen, but that doesn't mean you're not burning fat!

Congrats on your excellent progress!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 13:28
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I have had that happen before when I began Induction. I have heard many people say that they have hot flashes, etc., when beginning Atkins.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 13:54

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

Nope, interesting though.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 14:03
Contributing Member

Stats: 147/128.5/120 Female 5'3
BF:29%/28%/20%
Progress: 69%

I do feel warmer overall since I've started Atkins. It turns out to work well for me, because I was always a cold person due to bad circulation.

Some other side effects: my nails are a lot stronger, I have more energy for my workouts, and my teeth and gums look and feel better.

Some of that may be from the multivitamins I take every day that I should've been taking. And I've always had the tendency to be anemic. I don't feel like I'll be having problems anytime soon.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 14:08
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Cody,
I grow microbes as part of my job and I measure their metabolic rate. Their temperature and oxygen consumption always jumps when I feed them. I would take this as a sign that you're metabolism is increasing when you start eating.

The opposite is I often feel colder when I am hungry.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 15:12
Registered Member

Stats: 201/170/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 51%

I know what you mean. I get that same "hot" feeling when I am in Ketosis. I just imagine my body has turned into a fat burning machine. lol. I literally think about how my body is burning its fat for energy and then I dont mind that hot flash a bit.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 05:56
Registered Member

Stats: 359/318/250 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thanks to all for sharing your "hot" experiences. It seems as though this may be what I had thought initially...the engine is reving up and burning

Here's to everyone having a great LC Day!

Cody
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 06:14

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Heehee...when I first felt this I thought I was going through a VERY early menopause! My hubby was shocked because I'm *always* cold and yet I was starting to turn DOWN the air conditioner. I love that feeling because I always think my metabolism is revving up to burn more fat

L
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 06:18
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Now you know you are normal with the hot flashes. Kinda give you an idea of what woman have to go through! My DH complains about being hot. I on the other hand run cold! Many times after eating I take a hot shower to warm up! I think it might have to do with all the cold water I drink.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 12:11
Registered Member

Stats: //! Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%

I agree Mary...I've found that I've been COLDER and I too, think it's due to the cold water I'm constantly trying to drink! I've had no 'hot flashes' to speak of.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 12:27

Stats: 299/249/165 Female 71"
BF:fat, what fat? LOL
Progress: 37%

I was getting those hot flashes at first. I had them almost all of the time but mostly after I ate. I get them occasionally still, but since I have been doing this for a while I don't get them as often...I think i've slowed....anyway, great work!!! Keep it up, you will be sucessful if you tell yourself that no matter how much weight you lose, eating healthy and not spiking your blood sugar will help you anyway.