Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 22:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 420/420/250 Male 77
BF:Not Known
Progress:
Exclamation Start induction tomorrow ...

I have decided to make start the Atkins diet ... a lifestyle change. The diet itself seems fairly easy and I actually look forward to the pounds coming off (I have WAY too many).

The hardest part might be the milk. I drink non-fat milk but I have been told that I will not be able to drink it anymore ... and that is going to be somewhat difficult.

But here goes nothing! I start the induction phase tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 22:26

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi PENorwood!

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll do absolutely wonderful on Atkins! It is easy just as you think once you get past the first few cravings and to me it doesn't even feel like a diet anymore!

My husband had trouble giving up milk when he went on this diet too, we always joked he would get a cow for a birthday present each year, he drank so much. There is soy milk that is pretty low in carbs that you could drink now and then, they even have a sugar free chocolate flavored one that uses splenda and my hubby thought it was pretty good for when he had cravings.

Good luck to you!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 22:30

Progress:

Yes, I bought some soy milk for when the urge strikes hard ...

I tasted some tonight ... and while it did not taste exactly like milk, it seemed like it would do when I am up roaming the halls in the middle of the night

Is Diet Pepsi ok? I know it uses aspartame (which Atkins says is not the best) but it may take me awhile to completely wean off soda.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 03:27

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:

The affects of the aspartame in the diet pepsi can vary by the individual. So I would try to reduce it as much as possible and later on you after your two week induction you can always test it out and see if it seems to affect you or not. Some people can drink a glass a day no problem, others not.

Diet rite is a good choice and is made with splenda as far as diet sodas go. I know it doesn't taste the same as the diet pepsi but I think it is pretty good.

Yeah the soy milk is not exactly the same, it seems though at least to me that it tastes its best when really realy cold.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 06:35

Progress:

Diet Rite is ok ... glad to know it uses Splenda!

The hardest part for me is getting rid of a few small things. I do no eat hardly any candy, so that is really easy. I have never been big on breads so that is ok. And I would much rather have a steak than much else, so that part will be easy too.

I guess the no milk/no soda rules are for me the biggest challenge. But you know what? When I am at my ideal weight and I can actually see my whole body in the mirror it will all be worth it!

Today I am starting induction. Perhaps next year at this time I will be most of the way to my goal of being thin again. I don't want to be skinny, because I think I would look stupid, but wouldn't it be nice to buy clothes in the store and not through a catalog?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 07:47

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:

The soy milk in my part of the country has about the same amount of carbs as regular. There is a low carb milk substitute powder available ( for when you are past the induction phase), but I have never tried it so I can't tell you how it tastes.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 07:55

Progress:

I just bought some yesterday ... and it is quite a bit lower. It is 2% lower than non-fat milk (which I used to drink )
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 09:14

Stats: 162/151/140 Female 5ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 50%
Cool Hello from Texas

Hello and welcome,

You can do this but be sure not to go over the 20 grams of carbs a day for the first 2 weeks. Induction is so important. You may feel tired , headaches, up set stomic ect.. but that is good because you know it is working. It is cleaning out all the garbage in you system. It will all go away in a few days if you stick to it. The systoms are just withdrawls. You can do this. Drink as much water as possible. I find that if you have a hard time drinking water that after your tea or coffee in the morning to get a glass of water and drink it till it is gone ( not in one drink) then you will want water all day.
If you have not checked out fitday.com you may want to take a look there too it is a great tool for counting your carbs all day. And start a journal if you have not all ready. This way people can see what you are eating all day and give you some pointers and you can see what your eating patterns are.
The cravings for carbs will go away in a week or so if you stick to it. Maybe even sooner. Be sure to check out the recipe part on this site. There are some GREAT recipes. Some make you feel like you are cheating. lol.
Tell your self that induction is only a few days out of your life and make mini goals like a half hour at a time. Not a day at a time. Induction can be hard at first but be proud every hour you did not cheat. If you feel like cheating drink a glass of water and find something to do like a craft, kniting or rug hooking works well it keeps your hands and your brain busy.
Well you take care and keep in touch. You have come to a great place for support and ideas.
You can do it.
God Bless
Tina
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 22:32

Progress:

Well, I have gotten through two days (without cheating)

A local fast-food place has what the call a low-carb burger. It is a hamburger with all the fixings (meat, tomato, cheese) wrapped in lettuce. Last week before I started Atkins it sounded terrible, but I had one today ... oh alright, two ... and it was great! I felt like I was cheating!

I have been drinking plenty of water, Iced Tea, Crystal Lite. Have had eggs and bacon every morning for breakfast, and I feel good. This Atkins is really easy (for now)

Oh yeah, I need to take my measurements to see if I am losing anything.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 15:29
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 182/177/135 Female 64"
BF:a ton
Progress: 11%

Good going! Hey, the first three days are the hardest (until the glycogen gets gone and ketosis begins), so by the time you read this, you will be well on your way and the hunger and cravings a thing of the past! Good luck on your journey.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 17:06

Progress:

Today was a REAL temptation ... but I passed!

I was over at my grandmothers house (she is bed bound) and she asked me to make her breakfast...I was going to make her eggs and bacon (because I could share that) but she wanted toast with plenty of margarine and lathered in peanut butter ... and a tall glass of milk!! I almost passed out.

That was one of my favorite things for breakfast, but if I had any of it I would have more carbs in that one small meal than I am allowed for three or four days!

THen I accidentally overfilled her glass of milk ... and instead of sipping it down to the right level (which I probably would have done before) I curled my nose and poured the excess out into the sink...

It felt really good that I was able to overcome this temptation! 240 here I come!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 21:37
Registered Member

Stats: 230/205/170 Female 5 feet 11 inches
BF:32/28.5/24
Progress: 42%

It sounds like you're doing really well so far. Peanut butter toast used to be one of my favorite mid afternoon snacks. I'm really looking forward to trying it with LC bread. I've even stopped making it for my 2 year old because I don't think I can say no just yet! Macadamia nut butter is lower in carbs than PB so maybe we can try that afer Induction is over.

Keep up the good work!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 23:24

Progress:

coho .. did you create those "cheatfree" graphics? THat is really cool ...