Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 14:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/SugarBusters
Stats: 203/177/120 Female 5' 3
BF:lost 9.65% so far
Progress: 31%
Question Flax Meal/Hot Cereal??

Hi,

I read that you can make a hot cereal out of this, kinda like oatmeal. I read through some of the posts and found the ingredients but they were not specific. I put some together but I must have done something wrong because it was terrible. Can someone tell me the exact ingredients to make it good? How much flax meal, how much water, etc, etc? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
DD
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 18:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I think you just have to play with it, I use about 1/4 cup flax meal, 2 tbsp oats, 1 tbsp chopped nuts, then 1/2 cream 1/2 water, you don't want it too water, nor to dry, I nuke it for 2 mins, take it out, squirt a tbsp of n/s syrup, or add frozen blueberries, You can also add a bit more cream if it's to thick. This makes one small serving, but it is filling.
Sorry I don't have exact amounts, Be brave, Cheers Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 19:06
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

It depends on your stage of Atkins. During induction, of course, you can't have the berries <sigh>... I actually "copy" the ingredients of the SPENDY pre-made Flax-o-Meal I bought. I, too, am not a "measurer", though. I usually mix about equal parts flax meal and shake mix, then add a couple of spoonsful of wheat bran. I then do pretty much what Kathy54 says!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 08:07
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I've added some Soy protein powder to the mix as well. Not only does it increase your protein intake but also takes away some of the goupy/sticky texture.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 13:07

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I also tried making this with flax and protein powder (splenda, h. cream, etc. got it from a recipe someone posted and they claimed it was really tasty). It was down right GROSS! This is coming from the person who will eat ANYTHING with a little sweetness added in. I'm wondering if flax is just an acquired taste for some. I made flax pancakes once too and --ehhhhhhhh. Not really too great (cream cheese/egg pancakes are MUCH better!). Did you guys find when you first started eating flax that it took a while to get used to the taste. I'm starting to come to conclusion that maybe I just really HATE the taste of flax.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 18:39
Fully Caffeinated

I found the pre-packaged flax meal from the grocery store has less taste than the health food store grind-your-own kind. Also, I keep mine in the freezer after having a bad go rancid on me.. a taste experience I'd rather forget!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 21:03

BF:

Wow, I wonder if mine is bad or something. It's REALLY NASTY!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 01:18

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Gee, was it kept in the cooler at the store? I won't buy it unless it is. Sorry but I've never noticed a strong flavour at all. I buy Red mill Brand. Really when I make the porridge, mostly what I taste is the nuts I put in. ( I put them in before I nuke it)

Maybe yours is racind??
Good luck Kathy
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 08:52

Stats: 170/147/145 Female 5ft 9
BF:have no clue
Progress: 92%
Lightbulb hot cereal

I was at GNC yesterday picking up some supplements and came across a hot cereal mix made by KETO. There are several different flavors. One serving is two scoops and 3-5 ounces of hot water. I tried it when I got home and to my surprise, it wasnt bad. *Banana Nut* It did have very small pieces of walnut in it. You may try that before making your own. 3 carbs is not bad.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 10:31
Fully Caffeinated

The Keto Apple cinnamon is VERY good to me. I always loved the envelopes of sugar-laden instant oatmeal, and at least I can "pretend"... The Flax-o-Meal kind is good too, although ALL flax hot cereals are "gloppy"... it's the soluble fiber...

My major reason for making my own is the price. for half the price of the mixes, I can make three times the number of servings homemade.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 19:33

BF:

I bought Red Mill too from Whole Foods but it was not in a cooler. I bet it was bad. POO! No wait, I bought my almond flour at Whole Foods. The flax meal was at the local grocery store. How many people that shop at the regular grocery buy Flax? I bet it was sitting there for months! Mystery solved. I'll pick up a bag next time I am at a health food store where the turnover on flax meal should be better.