Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 13:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/127.5/110 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Fiber

For anyone having fiber problems... I'm having great success with Benefiber. The ads are right, you really can mix it into anything and you can't taste it, and there is no texture change. I've even left it sit in a glass of tea (decaf) and sipped on it while watching TV and it never thickened or changed consistency.

Note: I've noticed a change in my weight loss with this too, plus the other... uh.... added "benefits" of getting enough fiber.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 13:40

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

Fiber is a great weight loss aid too... moving everything along so less calories are absorbed. I've used metamucil for years for medical reasons and also take colace (generic brand) daily for the same reasons. I started adding flax meal to my salads recently, and I'm always looking for new ways to add more fiber to this WOE. Thanks for the info... I was wondering if that stuff really worked, and now I know! Welcome to our board, too!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 16:11

Stats: 247/224/200 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I'm still on induction and I'm having trouble getting enough fiber also, and believe that it has something to do with my "stalls". I notice that when I feel "bloated" (for lack of a better word"), that it coinsides with a stall in my weight loss.

But I can't find a fiber supplement that doesn't contain aspartame or sucrose. Should I use it anyway? Or is there something else out there that I should try and find?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 05:39

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

JawgaBoy,

I've been using metamucil w/ aspertame... used it since 1995 and kept using it even though Dr. A advises not to. I have tried these psillium husk versions in health food stores and they are just too nasty...

Some people stall using aspertame, some don't. Some people stall drinking coffee, some don't. It's all very individual.

Have you tried introducing ground flax seed into your meals? It's loaded w/ fiber and tastes like crushed walnuts. There's some great recipes on this board. Taking magnesium supplements and flax oil also helps move things along, too. What kind of veggies are you eating? You can have 2 cups of romaine lettuce during induction, and 1 cup of another vegie. My favorites that are loaded w/ fiber are brussels sprouts, broccoli and snow peas.

How much water are you drinking, and are you exercising? Exercising and drinking lots of water also helps keep things moving.

When all else fails, you can eat some sugar-free chocolate or ice cream... (which is an induction no-no) just don't be too far from the bathroom when you do...

Last edited by Bon : Sat, Aug-16-03 at 05:41.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 05:59

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 149/138/132 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 65%

BeneFiber is the best, love it!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 06:19

Stats: 247/224/200 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Bon & Auburn,

Thanks for the replies

Up until this week I was exercising 35 minutes a day, 7 days a week. But kept reading that the body needs some rest days. So I'm only working out 5 days a week now (feel guilty though).

I drinks lots of water, I live in the country and have well water and its fantastic, better than any bottled water you can buy. I'm sure I'm doubling the 64 oz a day, maybe even more. Always have some next to me, outside or inside, work or at home.

Eating lettuce, pickles, cucumbers, turnips, spinach (yuck), celery (more yuck), and just added green beans last night. Have been taking flaxseed oil capsules for about 2 weeks, 6 a day.

Bon, you murdered me with the
"When all else fails, you can eat some sugar-free chocolate or ice cream... (which is an induction no-no) just don't be too far from the bathroom when you do..."
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 06:26

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 149/138/132 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 65%

I also take flaxseed oil capsules, two a day, supposed to be good for cholesterol.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 10:12
Registered Member

Stats: 279.5/205/215 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

A 1/2 cup of flax-o-meal hot cereal (from Lowcarbsuccess.com) 2-3 times per week is all you need to keep things going. The stuff tastes great too.