Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 19:53
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/196/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:beaucoup
Progress: 30%
Default Hidden Carb Inspector - Subtract Fiber?

I saw the this ancient thread on the carb inspector, which answered most of my questions, but I still am not sure I understand about when to subtract fiber.

I do understand that if the manufacturer says it already subtracted the fiber from the total carbs, I check the subtracted fiber box. OK.

Now, if the manufacturer doesn't say it subtracted the fiber, do I still enter a fiber value?

And, once I obtain the hidden carbs result, does that result include the fiber, that is, if I want an effective/net carb count, do I now subtract the fiber myself or is it already subtracted?

Thanks,

Dorothy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 20:42

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

OK lets see if I undertand this...you don't enter the fiber unless it's listed as subtracted already. And I don't think it's included in the total unless you entered it (subtracted fiber) so if it has fiber you would subtract to get your net carbs...unless it states that it's already subtracted. Gosh! I don't blame you for being confused. Anyone else have more insight into this?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 21:21
Contributing Member

I'm trying to count the carbs on a package of Scandinavian Bran Crispbread that says 3 carb, 3 fiber. There has to be some carb in there somewhere, right? Ingredients are Wheat Bran, Rye Flour and Salt. Fitday says bran is :

Carbohydrate 9.35g
Dietary Fiber 6.21g

That's for 1/4 cup. Between that and the rye flour... ???

Last edited by Deiesse : Wed, Aug-13-03 at 21:23.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 21:25

BF:

I'm sorry...I must have missed your previous post because I'm not sure what we are talking about. Is this some sort of baking mix or what? Yes, if it has flour of any kind it would definitely have carbs I would think. I'm not much help am I?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 21:30
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Unfortunately, if the manufacturer does not state if they did or did not subtract the fiber, then it's any ones guess. The laws, as of yet, do not force them to be specific, so it can go either way.

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 21:41

BF:

Well, I guess you think I'm crazy but I swear that some of your post was missing when I read it earlier. Maybe I need to go to bed! :-)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 21:56
Contributing Member

Wa'il,

Thanks. I wasn't asking for the carb counter to be psychic, just want to make sure I'm using it correctly and I guess I picked a bad test case. I'm sure there's some carb in there, so they probably did subtract the fiber. It's imported so the more I think about it there's a good chance of that.

That said, I still remain unclear on my original question which was what to do with the result I obtain when the manufacturer does not subtract the fiber. Does the result omit the fiber or do I need to subtract it?

Thanks,

Dorothy
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 21:59
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori H
Well, I guess you think I'm crazy but I swear that some of your post was missing when I read it earlier. Maybe I need to go to bed! :-)

Lori, you're not crazy. I posted it hastily and forgot to mention the Bran Crisp, so I used the edit feature to add in that part quickly, hoping no one would see it, but you must have pulled it up faster than I could type. Sorry.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 00:24
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deiesse
Now, if the manufacturer doesn't say it subtracted the fiber, do I still enter a fiber value?

Rereading this, I realize I could have been more clear, especially considering the example I gave. I didn't mean what if the mfct'r subtracted the carbs and then failed to indicate it (which is probably the case with my example) but simply, what about the default case, i.e., the carbs clearly aren't subtracted by mfct'r. In that case, when I get the result, is the fiber included?

Sorry to be dense. I'm a programmer but I get dizzy doing arithmetic. Go figure.

Dorothy
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 09:02

BF:

Thank goodness Deiesse! I thought I had completely lost my mind when I looked at the post again. tee hee. On the carb counter, I subtract the fiber from the total if it's not indicated on the product that it is already subtracted. If that is wrong will somebody please let us know?