Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 09:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/152/125 Female 65
BF:???
Progress: -8%
Default A few tips from a long-time athlete

Hi all,

no, i am in no way qualified to give advice, but i am an athlete in college (division I in NCAA) and so i thought some people out there might be interested in a few things, since I noticed in posts a lot of people have never ever worked out.

First of all, you should do some combo of cardio AND resistance training. Don't weight train everyday, every other day is the MOST (and this includes abs... we have GREAT strength trainers at school and they will DRILL this into you)

Cardio in the AM if possible, (or 3 hours fasting if not), wait one hour to eat afterwords to increase fat burn.

To make the MOST of your weight training you should get a book, like body-for-life, or a personal trainer, or SOMETHING that clearly outlines a training regime, and proper technique. YOu need to go slow on each rep, concentrating on contracting the muscles you are targeting and breathing in and out.

DOn't wait more that 30second to a minute between sets, this will keep your heart rate up.

Also, with the girls on my team at school, the biggest thing i notice is that a lot of people just are not INTENSE in their effort. I am a 21 yr old GIRLY girl and i GRUNT at the gym! Talking positively to yourself will really help. That last rep should take all inner strength! (I talk to the dumbells... in my head! like "you aren't going to beat me... your just a dumb-bell you only weigh half as much as i do...)

Also, I have never really seen anyone have amazing results doing so called "toning" style lifting or abs. You can do 60 crunchtype exercises and get more result than doing 500 a day. To change body shape you need to break down your muscles, rest them, and rebuild. Its a continual process. I live by the 12-10-8-super set method of lifting, i have great strength coaches at school, and at 5'6" i lift more than most guys I know!!! if you have any question PM me...

OH and Drink water (lots like 200 oz a day), plan plan plan, track your progress, and measure as well as weigh yourself
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 09:27

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 133/129/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hey gatsbyjas...thank you for these tips! I'm THRILLED to find that I've been doing my routine the right way, according to your list. I started low carbing and exercising in late January. I roll out of bed for a fast two mile walk five times a week, and then do a Pilates session (Gaiam video with resistance bands) three days a week, leaving a day in between Pilates sessions. I love what this regimen has done to my body. I'll be 50 this year and I'm in the best shape I've ever been. My muscles are long and strong, and my stomach is flat! Who knew this could happen?

I would just add to your excellent list that you have to be consistent, be patient, and pay attention to your posture.

Best regards,

Isa (reformed dough-girl)
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 14:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

I lovet his part....
"I am a 21 yr old GIRLY girl and i GRUNT at the gym!:"
I was laughing thinking about this at the gym this morning! i'm the same way....former NCAA athlete, shaking my head at the women at the gym forever lifting 5 pound weights! Ridiculous! Ok for beginners, but some women are so convinced they are going to get he-man muscles!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 06:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/130/110 Female 1.67
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi there!

Thx for the info - it was nice to read some tips now that i'm trying to motivate myself & begin exercising at once

I've been training with dumbells on and off for about 2-3 yrs, with 5kg/10ibs? (for 2-3 months) doing 20 repsx3sets ..i'm working out my biceps and triceps YET they are still not what i want them to be!! (by the way still have 10ibs to get rid of-maybe the ugly fat layer hids:/)ok, when i do regularly, i go for 1 day bicep 1 day tricep ;in this way i think they get the rest they need for rebuilding...do u have any idea what i may be doing wrong? maybe i'm doing too much reps? i don't know how to describe my "ideal arm muscles" lol but does "the girl's arms who played vin diesel's sister in the fast & the furious" tell u sth?? )

thx in advance
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 07:46

Plan: The Metabolic Diet
Stats: 155/149/125 Female 5'7
BF:25/22/16
Progress: 20%
Question PLease help...questions about atkins and excercise

GAtsbyjas, that was a great post. Perhaps you can help me with my questions about atkins and excercise. I have been weight training for over 5 years, and I love to workout intensely in the gym (cardio and weights) and occasionally runnning outside. But I've started atkins induction phase which is virtually no carbs. I've already lost a few pounds. I'm afraid I won't be able to work out as intensely as I was becasue I'll fatigue without the carbs. HAVE u found this? Will i feel fatigued for the first little while until my body adjusts to using the fat as fuel?? Can you work out intensely without feeling really tired on atkins? I plan to stay on induction for at least 4 weeks. But I don't want to jeopordize my workouts. I fear that if I feel really tired in the gym I'll lose motivation and not workout at all.

How many carbs do u ingest? and how many tiems do u weight train , and do cardio per week? Right now I am doing high intensity, little rest between sets and excercises and high reps low weights program. I take a day off between weight training workout days and do cardio 5x per week. I don't think I'll be able to do soo much being on atkins. FEEDBACK please

Piera
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 19:25

Default Arms

Ping-

I am a swimmer and I have "ok" arms... here's how I try and work them. FIrst of all, you would be better of doing biceps and triceps on the SAME day, then taking a day (or two) off to recover. Each can only work as hard as the other because they are opposing muscles (the same goes for abs/low back, and quads/hammys).

First of all, i would grab a variety of dumbells rangin from 5-20 lbs. I do one of two workouts depending on whether I am in the middle of swim season or not. THey are both great for building muscle.

The first one:

I do 12 reps each of front, side, and back raise (back fly's done bent over at the waist). I do 12 reps of each of these three things, then IMMEDIATELY REPEAT. Then, I grab a slightly heavier pair of dumbells, and do 10 reps of each exercise, and repeat. Finally, i use an even heavier set and do 8 reps of each exercise. I do these all at an even pace, but fast enough that my heart rate is up. I would look at bodyforlife.com for visuals on appropriate technique. Using free weights in this way causes your body to use small "fine" musculature to balance the weights, and it is these "fine" muscles that add real definition. This little set of exercises is one i do 3 times a week during swim season. I get asked everytime I wear a halter top if I work out... so it must work!

However, when I am not in season, and I am trying to build up strength more, I do a modification of the lifting in body for life. I do 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps, of successively higher weights, then do 12 of my starting weight and go straight into 12 reps of a different exercise aimed at the same muscle group. Lifting in this way, and taking days off in between workouts has been much more effective for me then other methods I've tried over the years. Again, form is everything, so I would check out a good website with proper form so you can visualize what you are doing. I also try and choose the dumb bell exercises over those with barbells or machines because i personally feel it helps more with definition and developing core muscles.

Also, great tricks for toning upper arms: jumping rope, dips, pull-ups, and push ups are all great, and can all be modified for beginners. Cardio is what is going to take off the fat (and, i guess increased BMR with increase in muscle mass) and when the fat is gone your muscles will REALLY show.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 19:32

oh sorry MAC-- it took me about 2 weeks to adjust to atkins and have good workouts. i am lifting just as much weight, i basically follow the body for life schedule, but i do more cardio than the book says ( i do about 40-60 minutes). I try and eat less carbs, but if you look at my most recent fitday I kinda fell of the wagon this week. Last week I was eating about 20 carbs or less and feeling fine working out. I felt pretty crappy until I started taking two centrums a day instead of one. I also drink an insane amount of water. I really do try to psych myself up to lift, you know, make EVERY rep count, and have a plan before I go into the gym. I'm not saying i do everything right, but I have had good results with lifting. Im not really losing any weight on induction, however, I'm not too meticulous about the carbs. I went cheat free for 3 weeks and didnt lose a pound, so now I am just LC because I feel better. MY workouts havent suffered, and I really think i get less sore! PM me if ya got any more questions!

oh an i have luck with AM cardio... and wait an hour to eat after for increased "fat burn" might be a myth, but it all adds up to a few hours where i can't munch. and, if you have any tips on how to lose weight on this dang WOE ... i could handle that feedback too!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 22:04

GAtsbyjas,

your soo motivating. Where are u from? i really want to reach goal, and I know i need to give my body a little time to adjust to the low carb diet before I feel my best. HOw many times a week do u do cardio? HAve u lost any inches since low carbing? I noticed on your fitday food entires your eating more carbs lately, is this because you need them for workouts or are u trying to shake up your system?

thanks for your feedback

Piera
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 09:39

I just needed a mental break, and I was experimenting with higher carbs... I am going to try for 20-40 a day now. Over the weekend I strayed from LC and so yesterday I was just trying to come back down gradually. If I have a high carb day followed by induction level carbs, I get pretty sick feeling. Also, I go back to school in a week and I will be swimming about 15-20 hours a week, for which i know I need more than 20g carbs. I am planning on looking for good fruits, those with the right glycemic index, I might look to some other low carb plans to figure out which is the best way to add them in. I haven't lost many inches, but i do bloat a lot less eating low carb, and i really just FEEL thinner if that is ridiculous? Again, I am quite far from perfect on this plan, i DO drink occasionally and if I see somthing worth cheating for, I might just do it. But then again, I am heavy, but not to the point where it is physically affecting my health. I just know that when I am out of college and no longer swimming all the time that I need a good way to keep my weight under control. I also have a paranoia about high fructose corn syrup (read Fat America or Fat Nation or whatever that book is) and also about white flour so this WOE fits my personal beliefs.

I guess I try and do cardio about 5 times a week. I think its really important to have one day of "rest" but, also, these are the days i will go on a bike ride with my boyfriend, walk the dog, play frisbee, go to the batting cages, basically i'm still MOVING but i am having my "free day". I have a friend who eats JUNK, but eats less then 1200 cals a day, she has lost 15 lbs. by just adding one hour of brisk walking (4.1 mph) SEVEN mornings a week, and not eating after nine pm. she has a horrible metabolism after eating such low cals for so long, but this additional cardio just did the trick for her. I would prefer to do 20 min's high intensity and then 20 min. just with the machine on a manual setting to increase my endurance. But then, that fits my needs as an athlete and may not be the most efficient way to lose weight or burn cals. I Just figure if I am not dripping in sweat, Im not doing enough. My goal is to NOT be able to hold a conversation!!!

Also, Im from Indiana FYI u?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 05:01

THAnks again,

sounds like your very active and its intresitng to read how well u know your body and how it functions when given certain ratio of nutrients. I'm gonna stick to induction meals for about 3-4 weeks and see how my workouts go. I'll have to tweak my food if I see 20 grams of carbs isn't working out.

I"m from Toronto, Canada.

take care

Piera
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 12:48

Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Gastby really knows what she is talking about. Girls DO NOT BULK UP! What is this "I just want to tone" bullshit, so you do 25 reps of low resistance. Unless you are taking hormones, you will not get bulky. Do less reps, and on those last few reps you better be struggling and grunting! That is how you create results on your body. Same goes with cardio, I see these women on the stairsteppers or walking for over an hour and they havent even broke a sweat. When you are done with your cardio, you better be really sweaty! 20 min of running is better then an hour walking. If you can do 20 reps on a machine, then the weight is not enough.