Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 07:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/212/175 Male 5'11
BF:29%
Progress: 51%
Default I'VE BEEN POISONED! (Almost)

Im a rush in a hurry. Stop by burger king so I can rip appart a few croissandwiches...hate doing that.

Anyway wanted a lil boots, so i got a Diet Coke.

Took a sip....hrrrm doesnt taste right.....drove to work and I took it to a co worker and had someone who hates diet pop taste it.... and it wasnt diet.

So being the pathetic Atkins addict i am...was trying to calculate how many grams of poison i had...thank god i didnt gulp!

I now also feel guilty for giving the pop to her. Im a murderer!

(Im in an odd mood today)

Happy Hump Day!
Jeremy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 07:39

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

I hate the way the cheese sticks to the croissanwiches . I want to tell them to put the cheese in the middle. At a party this weekend a well meaning host at a party made me a drink ,rum and coke , I told him I am on a diet but I felt guilty so I drank half of it then gave it to my dh. Its no big deal. I have lost a lb since then so who cares.
Cindy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 09:38

Stats: 135/127/123 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi, Jeremy,

The same thing happened to me twice. One time it was just a mistake of the person who went and got the drink and forgot to ask for diet. The second was at J-in the Box, where they had just changed the soda tanks and had mistakenly put in rootbeer. I took a sip and told them that they should be more careful because a mistake like that could be poison for a diabetic.

I understand how you feel, too, because we try to save our alloted carbs for our preferred-allowed foods. I hate wasting mine on junk or mistakes like that.

Whammy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 10:12
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Take that, Jeremy!

I'm sure you and your co-worker will recover from that vile concoction.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 10:24

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

Too funny. Poor co-worker!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 10:26

Stats: 307/260/200
BF:
Progress:

Don't rip the croissanwich apart. I just order it without the bread. I do the same at McD's or any fast food place. Sometimes they're surprised, but apparently a lot of people are doing this, because usually, it's just "no bread? OK."

I lost a lot of cheese before doing this.

The McD Bacon, egg and cheese biscuit without the biscuit is especially good.

Jeff
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 10:47

Plan: Healthy Eating
Stats: 200/193/170 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 23%

The same thing happened to me the other day while on a weekend getaway.

Went to a restaurant (bar) and ordered hot wings for lunch. Mmmmmm they smelled good (and I had eaten them there before).....I take one bite and said, "these have sugar or honey in them". My hubby says uh oh.

So I gave him one and he said definitely something sweet to it. And he's not even low carbing.

So I ask the waitress--is there sugar or honey in these? She says no-it's just the bottled Franks Hot Sauce. She asked if they tasted funny---I said just sweet.

I had ordered a salad and wings, so I continued eating them even though I knew darn well they were sweetened somehow. I guess I could have stopped, but I took her word for it. You would have thought she could have gone and asked the cook for me.

I ate them, enjoyed them (actually not as much as before) and didn't gain anything from them. WHEW! Plus I didn't get any cravings---maybe they really weren't sweetened??

I'm glad though that I'm not the only one in the world that is constantly getting screwed either at restaurants or stores. Sometimes it gets really pathetic and you have to be a b*tch about getting what you want.

We are being poisoned when we aren't even trying!!!

"T"
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 14:38

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

On a cheat day I went to Burger King and they gave me diet coke instead of regular. Maybe it was a sign.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 14:43
Registered Member

Stats: 171/155/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 39%

Tim Horton's is realllllllllly bad for putting sugar in your coffee when you haven't asked for it.

I've never taken sugar in my coffee, so even before I was low-carbing, this ticked me off.

What is the deal with wings...good buffalo wings shouldn't have sugar or sweet stuff at all, but I find a lot of places have sweet, sticky sauces. If I wanted sweet, I'd get honey garlic, thank you very much.

Last edited by gaijingal : Wed, Aug-13-03 at 14:44.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 14:54
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

This switching sugared coke and diet has happened to me to. I actually won't drink fountain sodas anymore. Buying in the bottle is more expensive, but I'm usually pretty sure of what I'm getting...

Jeannie
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 15:06
Contributing Member

Stats: 216/196/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:beaucoup
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw1966
So I ask the waitress--is there sugar or honey in these? She says no-it's just the bottled Franks Hot Sauce.

Two possibilities I can think of:

1) You're more sensitive to sweetness now that you're off sugar. This is turning out to be true for me in a huge way. Lettuce tastes sweet to me now.

2) The more likely scenario: "Bottled" = Sugar. If I was feeling bold, I'd ask to see the bottle, if not, it would clearly be a question of "To cheat or not to cheat."

Dorothy
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 15:52

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

Chicken wings should be made with hot sauce-usually Franks-and butter. If they put anything else in it they should be ashamed of themselves. And you should tell the waitress to ask the chef. I worked in a number of places and made wings in many of them-always hot wings get franks sauce n butter- bar b que wings get oven pit or some other mass produced bbq sauce. As long as they are hot they should be OK low carb wise but some smarty pants chef might go and ruin it with sugar, so always tell them to ask the chef.