Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Question Help!! Re: Abs

I have a problem! I hurt my tailbone in a fall a couple months ago and it is taking forever to heal! I can do all my exercises EXCEPT my abs! The only Ab exercises I know require sitting on my tailbone/butt...can't do!
Is there any kind of exercise you can do for your abs/tummy that you can do standing up or kneeling? I can't find any and I'm desperate! Would appreciate any suggestions you have. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:38

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan1974
Is there any kind of exercise you can do for your abs/tummy that you can do standing up or kneeling? I can't find any and I'm desperate! Would appreciate any suggestions you have. Thanks!
If you follow this link you'll see a number of exercises listed that involve sitting or standing - you should be able to do a few of those (seated leg raises, seated twists, side bends, you might be able to do the hanging ones if you have the right attachments for a home gym as well)

http://www.fitsite.com/index.cfm?CategoryID=23&do=list

-Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:41

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Morgan! There are ab exercises I use that don't require sitting on the tailbone, although I'm not sure how far your pain radiates.

Here they are (they don't involve kneeling or standing, though):

-Lie on your back, with your legs bent and lifted, preferably with your lower legs on a chair, or something else that's the right height. Squeeze and lift your upper body (like a crunch), hold for a second or two, and lower. This works primarily the lower abs.

-Lie on your back, with both legs bent (as before), only without a chair, and straighten them so they're at roughly a 45 degree angle with the floor. This one is versatile--you can either just hold them there, or lift and lower them. Works most of the abs, but the upper abs more.

-Lie on your back with your legs straight out in front of you. Lift legs, keeping them straight (not locked straight--soft straight), to about a 60 degree angle with the floor. Hold a second or two, and lower. You may want to hold onto something with your arms above your head to keep your upper body down. This works the upper abs.

-Lie on your side, supporting your upper body with one elbow, and squeeze sideways, hold for a second or two, and repeat. This works the obliques.

Here's one that doesn't require being on your back: get on your front, put your elbows below your shoulders, and support the lower half on your toes. It's a little like push-up position, except you're on your elbows. You can either clasp your hands together or hold them in fists side-by-side, or whatever else feels comfortable. Keep your body straight (you'll need all your trunk muscles for this) and hold for as long as you can.

I don't know if there's anything in there that you can use, but hopefully there's something. There may be a bunch of Pilates moves that would work for you, though you would probably have to modify some a bit.

Good luck!

Last edited by Alopex : Mon, Aug-11-03 at 11:46.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alopex
There may be a bunch of Pilates moves that would work for you, though you would probably have to modify some a bit.
Perfect. I totally forgot about those!

These are similar to the Pilates moves and oh boy are they effective:

Mathews Method
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:48

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Holy smoke, Nat! Some of those look excruciatingly hard! I gotta try 'em!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alopex
Holy smoke, Nat! Some of those look excruciatingly hard! I gotta try 'em!
I remember the first time I did the "flying x" - this from a girl doing quats and lunges on a regular basis. OMG the pain! The greatest thing about these is that you can do variations of them during the day - I find myself trying to pull my belly button through my spine at the oddest moments

-N
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 13:00
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I have ridiculously weak abs, so this may not be challenging enough for you, but it is a standing exercise:

Stand straight against a wall (upper back should touch the wall, heels should be touching or just a little apart from it). Using your ab muscles, tuck your pelvis under and flatten the small of your back against the wall. Hold for a while (the longer the better), then release and repeat.