Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 13:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%
Lightbulb Low-Carb After Gallbladder Removal and Diabetes?

A relative has had her gallbladder removed, has irritable bowel disease (IBD) and is diabetic. She has always been eating a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet. She has resisted all suggestions to switch to the low-carb diet, but she is becoming very desperate because of her declining health. I would like to have some good answers to her questions that may arise.

What are some of your personal experiences, negative reactions and cautions experienced when switching from the low-fat, high-carb diet to our low-carb diet. I understand the problems for a diabetic, and someone with only IBD has no switching problems at all. However, the LC diet is naturally high in fats and digestion of fats without a gallbladder can become a problem. Medical references generally suggest a low-fat diet after gallbladder removal, but they suggest that for healthy persons as well. A low-fat and LC diet is not possible.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Please post your reply here rather than send me personal mail.

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Sun, Aug-10-03 at 13:57.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 15:49

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Kent!

Only about 10% of patients have problems with dietary fat following gallbladder removal (and fortunately, I'm not one of them!). I had my gallbladder removed about 9 1/2 years ago and the only advice that my surgeon gave me was that if some particular food bothered me to avoid it (nothing at all about following a low fat diet specifically because my gallbladder had been removed). However...since your relative has been a low fat diet for quite some time, a more gradual approach might work better; gradually decreasing carbs and increasing fat until she finds a level that works for her and she is comfortable with. Perhaps starting at maintainance levels of carb (60 grams of carb per day or so) and working downward from there.
I also know that there are a few people here who have had problems with the fat content of Atkins following gallbladder removal and I believe that at least one of them follows a lowER (not low) fat low carb WOE.
Keeping both the fat and the carbs low presents some problems with getting adequate caloric intake, but it is doable with a bit of tweaking and if eating a lot of protein isn't a problem for you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 10:38

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Doing a lowER fat low carb diet IS possible.

Lean proteins (chicken, eggs-limit yolks), seafood, lean
beef)
All nonstarch vegetables
Measured amounts (not no-fat) of fat
Low carb fruits (berries)
Measured amounts of nuts
Lowfat or nonfat yogurt (measured)
lowER/no no fat - cheeses (count those carbs)

Actually, eating lowerfat versions/while watching portion sizes (carbs) is really a good way to control total overall carb intake.

Even on low carb, it is not an "all you can stuff in diet" anyway ---- eating normal portion sizes of ANY kind of food is not only normal but healthy for you.

Last edited by nsmith4366 : Tue, Feb-03-04 at 10:40.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 16:19

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Has her IBD started after the gallbladder removal? Some people have bile salt malabsorption after gallbladder removal which mimmicks IBD. I have it myself. High fat makes me very ill as does regular food sometimes - so the remedy people with this problem -the gallbladder removal and high fat and/or stomach problems is medicines like Colestid or Questrian. They are usually used for Cholesterol but are also used for this. It binds the bile and helps the person to not get sick stomach wise. It made a world of difference in my life and for others who have this problem.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 13:43

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

Just wanted to say that i had my gallbladder out eight years ago and i've experienced no problems with this way of eating because of it.