Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 08:41

Plan: None
Stats: 180/180/180
BF:
Progress:
Default LC bad for nonobese people?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 06:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

1) We are not rats.
2) The natural diet of rats is not high in protein or fat, it's high in carbs(grains, fruits and vegetable matter). Although rats will eat protein if they can scavange it, by the time they can scavange, all the best parts (the fat and organs) are likely alreay eaten by other predators.
3) The natural diet of humans IS high in protein and fat.

It shouldn't come as a great surprise that if you take a rodent and feed it a diet that is not natural to it, it will get sick. This is similar to the study where they fed lots of protein to rabbits and when they got sick, presented it a "proof" that a similar diet is bad for humans.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 10:11

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Meanwhile, in other publications...

Women's Health in Primary Care (www.womenshealthpc.com), July 2003: ran in its "the last word" column, "Is the Atkins Diet Heart-Healthy?" Basic answer, from Gary D. Foster, PhD, who lead one of the recent trials at the Weight and Eating Disorders Program at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, is "As far as we can tell so far, Yes."

Of course he hedges, and says more tests are necessary; that's the way research scientists talk.

Q: Is the nutritional profile of this diet a concern?

A: There are not enough data to make claims about safety in the long term. We have only short-term data, up to one year. I think, more importantly, we have yet to look at bone and kidney and other markers of safety. I think saturated fat is less of a concern, at least in the short term. I expected the big problem to be an increase in cholesterol, and that didn't turn out to be true. So I'm more open-minded about the diet's effects on other outcomes.