Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#121   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 17:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/226/155 Female 5 Foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Bonnie,
Welcome aboard!!It's nice to have new ladies join us in our quest to lose weight and get fit.I need to get busy and ride my stationary bike.Was a busy day with my grandson but didn't get any bike riding done.
Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 18:30
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power - slightly modified
Stats: 185/156.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:gettin' better!
Progress: 71%

Hiya Kids!!

Another day, another dollar ... or in our case, another mile, step and so forth. Did our mall walk - another 2.25 miles under the belt. Still trying to adjust the pedometer - almost have it knocked. Should be in time for the big 100 mile challenge.

Chloe - have a great weekend and forget it all for a couple of days, we all deserve that once in a while, eh?

Bonnie - welcome! Check in when you can and we'll give you a shove if you need it ... tee hee ...

Aleka, thanks again for your great inspiration. YOU go girl !!

Off to a quick LC snack ... salami w/cream cheese, green pepper strips a maybe a little hunk of cheese ... Dinner's a nummy LC chili (she said modestly :-))

Hope you all have a good weekend [tomorrow's our day on the torture ball and Nordic Trak ... wish me luck}

Ever Onward,

Holly
  #123   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 19:12

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Holly---Would you share that LC chili recipe with me??? Sure do Love Chili!!! Thanks--Aleka
  #124   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 21:04

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:

Bonnie it's good to see you here sweating away with us! We don't care what type of excercise we do as long as we moooove the bodies! Hmmm....roller blades huh? Not in a million years would I try that even though it looks like such fun! I don't like pain and I know I'd spend some time on the ground! LOL!

nancy, you certainly need this weekend away. You've had a stressful week with your Dad and your grandson there. Go, relax and enjoy and don't stress out over the bike. We all need to take the deserved breaks without guilt.

I didn't make it back on the bike today.

Did get some deep cleaning done in the spare bedroom getting it ready for Mom to come. She did sound better tonight, but she is still weak and shaky and has no appetite. My time will be limited once she arrives so you guys will have to cheer each other on for me! You've got Aleka to keep you up and going! Isn't she a great cheerleader? Just don't stress your back out Honey!

Have a great evening and weekend everybody!
Nance
  #125   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 21:06

BF:

Bonnie it's good to see you here sweating away with us! We don't care what type of excercise we do as long as we moooove the bodies! Hmmm....roller blades huh? Not in a million years would I try that even though it looks like such fun! I don't like pain and I know I'd spend some time on the ground! LOL!

Nancy, you certainly need this weekend away. You've had a stressful week with your Dad and your grandson there. Go, relax and enjoy and don't stress out over the bike. We all need to take the deserved breaks without guilt.

I didn't make it back on the bike today. Did get some deep cleaning done in the spare bedroom getting it ready for Mom to come. She did sound better tonight, but she is still weak and shaky and has no appetite. My time will be limited once she arrives so you guys will have to cheer each other on for me! You've got Aleka to keep you up and going! Isn't she a great cheerleader? Just don't stress your back out Honey!

Have a great evening and weekend everybody!
Nance
  #126   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 21:46

BF:
Smile miztakes

Thanks for your thoughtful and kind remarks sugar--or should I say splenda??? Ha--Sounds like you are ready for Mom! Hope she gets a good rest at your place and naturally--you need first off to take care of # one or there won't be much left to take care of anyone else. Just a reminder!! We MOM"S have a tendency to take care of everyone else before ourselves which is great as long as we don't forget to include ourselves. (Took me a long time to figure that one out.) My Grandmother used to say- (You never really learn how to live well un til it is almost time to die.) What a sad saying Huh?? Anyway- Hope you have a good time with your Mom while she is there and when you get a chance--steal a few moments and ride like the wind!!! Ha!! Night Night--Aleka
  #127   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 21:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and Curves
Stats: 175/171/145 Female 5'6
BF:28%
Progress:

Good Evening Everyone,
I will jump aboard the exercise train. I do a walking tape,2 miles, 3 days a week. I also do at home Curves exercise 3 times a week. I follow the Curves carb-sensitive diet. I am 60, we have 1 daughter, who has blessed us with 9 grandkids, 8 at home, one in college, out of state. We just moved 30 min. from the kids so we spend more time with the active family. "Kids are for the young," that is what my mother used to tell me. Isn't it amazing how much they really knew! I will start reporting on Sunday. My husband keeps our treadmill well dusted, along with a weight table and Gazzele. To much for my old bones. Have a great evening everyone. Susan from NW WA 180/171/145
  #128   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 22:04

BF:

Great to see you here 4MrsLucky!!! I'm hoping to get back on my Gazelle next week. I know what you mean when you say '''OLD BONES"" Mine creak at times--How about you?? Hope to see you tomorrow!! Aleka
  #129   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 22:36
Registered Member

Hey Susan,

Welcome aboard - great to see one more "skinny-in-progress"

Stay in touch - we'll be here cheering for you!

Holly :-)
  #130   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 22:44
Registered Member

Aleka,

I'd be delighted, proud and happy to share the recipe ... as soon as I have it "written". Right now, it's just a "throw in a bit of this and that recipe" and that just won't don't for most low carbers.

For starters, get some canned black soy beans (if you like beans in your chili)

Nothing else particularly exotic, I also use cooked and drained ground beef, canned green chiles ... a bit of tabasco .. I found this great tomato paste that comes in a tube like toothpaste.

Okay, now I'll try to get the recipe into a "form" - that's the hard part. Making 'em up and cooking is easy - it's such a passion ...

Don't give up on me

Holly :-)
  #131   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 22:50

BF:

Holly---I"ll keep watching for that recipe. I could eat chili year around. Do the black soybeans give it a funny taste?? Thanks for the comeback. Think you should be called Miz-christmas little Holly Berry!!! Aleka
  #132   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 08:23

BF:
Post Exercise

Good-morning!!!! It's Saturday----Are you Ready???????------Let's Go: Ready--Set--Here we go!-----Walk or Ride or start to roll!!!!! (Blades)--Do your thing throughout the day---Throw another pound away!!!!! ----Do your Stuff now---do you hear me????--Do your stuff now!! ---Have a Great Day---Aleka
  #133   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 09:31
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 100%
Default go, yes, go

Thanks again Aleka, how do you keep coming up with them!!!

Well, this morning presented another epiphany for me. I woke up early and decided, after a nice breakfast of Milled Flaxseed, I deserved a reward, a treat. I walked in the park every morning this week and I deserve a reward. So, I put on the TV and propped myself up all ready to 'take the day off' and enjoy my well earned reward. I flipped through the channels, waiting for that peaceful 'reward feeling' and guess what! It never arrived. Instead I grew more and more anxious and uncomfortable. Then I came across a kids show and an animated horse was singing, "Breathe in the fresh air, enjoy the sunshine, go out and breathe in the fresh air and enjoy the beautiful sunshine." Well, that horse was looking right at me! I jumped up, put on my shorts, and off I went to the park.
While walking I began to meditate on the subject of 'rewards'. My Saturday morning reward was no doubt self destructive. Not that there is anything wrong with kicking back and watching TV, but when you experience anxiety instead of peace, then it is wrong. I recalled how many times I have heard a patient, (drug/alcohol counseling) say to me, "But I work hard all week, I deserve to get drunk on Friday night.", or, "I worked hard all day in the hot sun, I deserve that six pack of cold beer" Self-destructive reward systems. I know that somewhere inside is the fear of success, and the need to self-destruct. Especially after doing something positive and healthy for myself.
So, I am now creating a list of healthy, positive rewards, and am examining closely how I 'reward' myself. Anybody out there got any ideas? I think a list of 'positive rewards' might be fun to create, along with another list of 'negative rewards' that I have gotten rid of. Another old 'reward' I've gotten rid of is that big old candy bar at the checkout line.
  #134   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 13:09

BF:
Thumbs up

Joyce, your observations are so timely for me! Was just chatting with a couple of my friends about making lists of the 'old' comfort strokes and then making another list of new replacements. I have been doing that for the foods that represent 'comfort foods' for me and experimenting with recipes for that purpose. I find it is so much easier to fight a sudden craving when I already KNOW what that substitute can be.

One of my favorite comfort foods has always been mashed potatoes. I found a recipe for mashed cauliflower that is so good that I smile when the potatoe craving hits because I know I'm in for a treat.

I love your idea for starting a 'substitution' list! Why don't you start a thread about that and we'll see how many things we come up with. Actually I guess we first should do a search and make sure there isn't something already like that on the site. Wouldn't want to start a thread and have it moved out of here

I think it is absolutely wonderful that you are so in tune with your body and emotions and mind! We are going to learn so much from you if we pay attention!

Okay...finally got on the old bike this morning and got my 5 miles in. T'was a tough ride this morning as I had already put in several hours cleaning and gardening. But...I'm breathing deeper and feeling better so it is always worth it!

Have a wonderful Saturday!
Nance
  #135   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 15:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hi, As I said on the other site, I am a 60 year old grandma of 4 1/2, 3 boys one girl and one unknown. I've got to really get with the program if I expect to see these kids grown up. so here I am. I walked about 1 mile today, I've been doing stationary bike 3 miles 3 times a week, and I just found some Leslie Sansone's tapes at thelocal thrift shop today, so I'm planning to start uning them. Where I live is very hilly, and it' s tough to walk , at least when you're out of shape. I've been locarbing for almost 2 years, and lost 40 lbs in the first 6 months, 5 lbs in the next 16 months. what's the problem. I believe at this point, it's lack of exercise, As we all seem to have, I also have problems with my back, and I admit that's been stopping me, but as I said, I've got to get with the program. Here I come. chris
Closed Thread