Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/159/150 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Stevia ...help!!

Does anyone know the deal with Stevia? I read in Atkins book (and heard here) that Splenda can feed my candida so its a big Heard liquid Splenda is ok and finally found some across town and have yet to traverse to go get. Instead I am trying powdered Stevia (which I understand has no candida affects).
So does anyone know if Stevia can be heated for baking or used in like SF jello? Guess I am wondering if its as safe in large quantites as Splenda seems to be.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 14:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/167.2/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I use Stevia almost exclusively, including using it for baking and home made jelly. Just be very careful...it's very potent and will taste bitter if you put too much in.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 15:01

Stats: 252/230/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 25%

I would like to try Stevia, but I have no idea what quantities to use it in... recipes call for X Amount of Splenda... I don't know how much Stevia would be the corresponding amount....
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 17:23
Registered Member

Stats: -/-/138 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 13%

What is stevia, and were can you purchase it?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 17:31
Registered Member

Stats: 192/167.2/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Stevia is an herb that has been used for centuries to sweeten things.

The amount to use depends on the brand of product you buy as some are "cut" with filler to make it easier to measure.

My pure Stevia says 1/3 tsp = 1 cup sugar (or Splenda)....that's why it's so hard to measure small quantities.

Can be purchased in most grocery stores now (with diet products) or at your local health store.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 18:35
Registered Member

BF:

thanks for your replies.. i put it in some SF jello that is 'curing' at home and was wondering if it was ok to eat. i put probably 1/4 cup in. my stevia is pure as well b/c it says 1/3tsp stevia =1tsp sugar or splenda.
i got my stevia at trader joes and it wasnt too expensive.. i think wild oats markets have it as well as other healthy grocery stores.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 18:36
Registered Member

BF:

sorry-- i meant to say 1/3tsp = 1 CUP as well..
it seems to be POTENT stuff..
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 21:09
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
i put probably 1/4 cup in. my stevia is pure as well b/c it says 1/3tsp stevia =1tsp sugar or splenda.

1/4 cup may be alittle strong, how bit a batch of jello ar eyou making? :\

I use the stevia with fiber. It has a form of fiber that helps with the good bacterias in the instestines. Be careful though. Some powdered stevia uses the same fillers as splenda and the others so if you don't like them you won't lik eit. The ones that use those filler also have 1g carb per packet, just like the splenda. You can buy stevial in liquid form as well. It has not been granted status as an artificial sweetner in the US, so you may have to look with suppliments or in a health food section. A health food store would probably have it.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:38
Registered Member

BF:

You are right LadyBelle.. i probably didnt put in a 1/4cup cuz i had some of my jello last night and it was just about right.. not too sweet and not too tart. i probably put a couple tablespoons or so.

i did look on the label so i think its pure stevia w/ no fillers. i might try to find the liquid stuff or even liquid splenda (finally).. Just to confirm, LadyBelle (cuz I think you are the one who told me this), liquid splenda is ok to eat if you are on a candida diet right? I need something a little sweet that doesnt feed the yeastybeastys..
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:49
Registered Member

BF:
Default question for ladybelle

LadyBelle,
I was going to try to send you a message but couldnt get it to work.
I thought (and sorry if I am wrong) that you posted a message about having candida on the atkins diet and how to deal with that in addition to low carbing.
If so, maybe you could help me.. I have been on this for almost 4 wks and have only lost 2-3lbs. I havent cheated and even been excersising. I am sure its because of my candida which I have controlling (w/ moderate success) for 10+yrs but have never really wanted to lose weight at the same time. Now I am wanting to lose 10lbs or so, but am finding it really difficult. How are you able to still lose weight on atkins? i have found that it seems to have totally stalled any weight loss. My mom is losing weight on this like mad and is less discipled about it than I am - so frustrating! Do you have any tips for those fighting candida in addition to keeping carbs low, etc..
Again sorry if this wasnt you that posted the info on candida..
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:28
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The closer you are to goal, the slower it will come off. Atkins even says the slower you lose those last 5 the better the chance you have of keeping them off. They say in the first month you can expect to lose 10% of the weight you need to, so you are doing great. With the protien being adiquet your muscles are also working on rebuilding so with regular exercise your lean weight will rise. That is why it is so important to have body fat checked and not listen to only the scale.

More lean mass is a good thing. It means you burn more calories even when sitting on tush. It also provides better circulation for improved health and diminished cellulite. If you feel you are getting to a point the weigh tloss just isn't happening, try getting an account at www.fitday.com When you are closer to goal you may have to watch calories a little more carefully. You might also be suprised at how fast hidden carbs can start to add up.

For the candidia, read the Atkins chapter on yeast. Also look through the candidia forum on here for tips, and foods to avoid. I'd pick up some yeast fighters from twin labs, and probiotics. Eating whole milk yogurt can also benifit the healthy bacteria in the intestines. For stevia get the liquid, or get the kind that has fiber added. The FOS (?) Fiber helps the good bacterias in the intestins. Splenda and other sweetners with fillers can feed the yeast, agrivating the problem. You might also look for other food intolerences. For me most dairy is a no-no. It stalls me, as well as giving me a good dose of gas and other tummy problems.

As much as you have already lost, you are doing great. Get out the tape measure and makes ure to measure yourself each week. Many times when the scale doesn't move you will find you are still losing inches. Smaller is always better then lighter as a pound of musle takes up less room then a pound of fat.