Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 11:59

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%
Default Frustrated

I have been doing the same thing since 7/25 and was losing. Since August 4th I have been up 5lbs! I have taken my fluid pills, so I don't see how it can be fluid. I exercised on the 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 6th only, so I don't think I could build muscle that fast. This is really depressing me. I don't know what to do. It makes me feel like quitting!
By the way I have been drinking 64-84oz of water the last few days.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 12:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Hmmm, quit so you can gain the weight back you have worked hard to lose? That is what I say to myself when feeling frustrated. There is NO WAY you gained back five pounds of fat in that time period. that is an extra 17,500 calories you would have to consume. Not physically possible.

Can't really help you unless we know what you are eating and such. You might want to up your water a bit too, to say 80-100 oz. a day. Why don't you post a day's typical menu and estimated calories?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 13:02

Last time I tried this I did not lose until I added oatmeal, once I did the weight peeled off. Why I don't know. This is a typical day of what I eat (yesterdays meal)

oatmeal
2 chicken breasts
2 hamburger patties w/ 1 slice cheese, mayo, lettuce, and pickles
4 slices of bacon

Totals
Carbs = 22
Calories = 1449
Fat = 77
Protein = 161
Fat = 49%
Protein = 46 %
Carbs = 5 %

Am I getting too much protein? Does that stop weight loss? I don't know how to get more fat besides adding oil and mayo both of which I don't like much of. If this is the problem can someone tell me foods which are high in fat but not protein???? Another main stay of mine is eggs, that's a lot of protein too right? I'm just really confused and upset. I'm working my butt off exercising and trying to keep under 30 carbs and I'm gaining now. I can handle a stall, but gaining? That's really working a number on my mind frame.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 13:04
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I agree with the above...can you post a typical day's menu??
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 13:06
Registered Member

Stats: 345/310/240 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress: 33%

trying to stick to below 20 carbs a day!

it is difficult but I find strength in the fact that I will someday beable to see my baby daughter graduate College because of my LC lifestyle!!!!

and one day damn it I will have 6 pack abs instead of me waiting for the birth of a pony keg!!!

LMAO!!

pshinn
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 13:07
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

If that's a typical day, then you definitely need more vegetables - you should be having about 3 cups a day. You might want to stop the oatmeal for a week and see if that helps.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 13:13
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi LoveableLC! I think you fat is much too low. You should keep your fat 65% for the least. Most people lose better above 65%. First increase your fat, this will mean your protein will drop. I didi not check how tall you were and how much you workout but .7g of protein for every pound lean body mass should be sufficient protein. Use good fats like oilve oil to increase your fat.

Hang in there!

Peace
red
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 13:20

Definitely more veggies and salad and fat! You should be eating more fat than protein...
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 13:28

Is the only way to up the fat by using oil and mayo?????
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 10:57

Butter, cheese, cream, higher fat meats, chicken skin, avocados, nuts...mmmmmmm!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:08

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Oatmeal is NOT a good choice.
I'd say it's your entire problem.

1/2 cup of oatmeal is 10.6g carbohydrate.

I'd suggest replacing it with a breakfast heavier in protein and fat (try Eggs!) and eating more vegetables.

Between the fact that you're probably not in lipolysis, and not eating any fiber, I wouldn't be surprised if you're constipated, as well.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:45
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Not all carbs are created equal. Make sure to read the Atkins book to start. Different carbs turn to gluclose faster then others and can cause a sharper rise in blood sugar and insulin response. If you are using instant oatmeal in the morning with no protien, you are probably starting the day with a massive insulin spike. Look up the Glycemic index which rates carbs on how much they effect blood gluclose. With the higher insulin in your system, any fat eaten will probably be stored.

If you find you can't give up your morning oatmeal, I would sugegst you look at the Zone plan. They encourage balanced eating at each meal and snacks between protien, fat and carbs. Steel cut oats is encouraged for breakfast. Again though that is steel cut oats, the kind that take an hour or so to cook. The more processed a food is, the faster it can enter the blood stream. Instant oatmeals are still a no-no.