Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 23:51

Plan: The Metabolic Diet
Stats: 155/149/125 Female 5'7
BF:25/22/16
Progress: 20%
Default First day on Induction HUNGRY HUNGRY HUNGRY

HI ALL

I just want to report my first day back on atkins induction. I truly miss this board. But i'm back again, and I truly hope this time I can stick with it, and be able to maintain a high energyu lifestyle.

I 'm tired of feeling soo tired and fatigued all the time. my holistic practitioner suspects I may have candida, so he gave me a lsit of foods to cut out entirely and it seems its exactly the INDUCTION phase!! So here I am again ready to get back on low carb track, and get healthy.

One thing I find is the first few days on atkins, my appetite is really HIGH. I ate like 5 meals today of highfat, high protein dishes. I felt like I ate quite a bit. BUt I truly felt hungry every 3 hours!! i think once I hit ketosis After 2 or 3 days my appetite will subside.

I just hope I can lose these last 15 pounds, and feel BETTER and energetic again. So i'm doing this not jsut to lsoe weight but to get healthy. HEre is what I ate today, PLEASE comment on my meals and tell if I went wrong anywhere or I f I ate too much

Breakfast
2 eggs
1 tblsp.mayo
3 slices low salt bacon

snack
chicken drum stick,
1tblsp. mayo

lunch
japanese miso soup
sashimi 6 pieces NO RICE of course
grilled chicken no terriyaki suace

dinner
4 chicken wings
blue cheese dressin on a salad
steak with veggies

snack
tuna, celery, hard italian cheese 2 oz.

all feedback is welcome
I just wnatto knwo I'm ok and not eating tooo much. Its way over the 10x your goal weight rule, which to me makes no sense. becaue tent imes my goal weight would be 1300, and thats almost starving yourself in my opnion , especially when you active. If I consume 1800 is that way too much, and should I count my cals??

thanks again all
Piera
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 00:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Piera,

I think you're doing fine. I suspect as you do that in a few days you'll find your appetite will reduce. So meanwhile, eat up!

The only minor criticism I'd make is to not deprive yourself of the 2 cups salad, 1 cup other vegies plus olives and avocado.

BTW, the whole point of the 10 times calorie suggestion (it's definitely not a rule ) is to encourage people to eat more. We usually describe it as a minimum of 10 to 12 times your current weight in calories. Minimum being the operative word. It depends on your weight to some extent of course. For folk who have larger amounts to lose, the 10 times guideline or suggestion is not appropriate. I usually suggest it to folk who are drastically undereating. So, as I said earlier, eat up!

Have you tried putting your intake into Fitday? I don't think you should necessarily have to count your cals - it might just reassure you that you are not eating quite as much as you think.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 00:26

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:

In my view, counting calories per se isn't important until you begin closing in on your 125 lb target weight. Once you're around 130, then you might have to be more meticulous on calorie intake; however, for the time being, consuming 1800 calories shouldn't pose any insurmountable barriers to your weight loss efforts.

I recall that you're a very active person, and thus should have no difficulties burning off calories, especially since you're big on weight training. Nonetheless, if after a couple of weeks, you find consuming "X" amount hasn't resulted in any weight loss, then you might think about keeping a record of calorie intake.

For now, I think 1800 calories is a good starting point given your lifestyle. It really isn't that much considering the amount of your daily energy expenditure.

Best of luck,

Frederick
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 10:26
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Read through the Atkins Book section on candidia. You are still having quite a few foods that are no-no's according to him. You might also want to get probiotics and yeast fighters. If you feed the candidia foods it likes, then that will foster cravings and more hunger. Blue cheese, and most molded cheeses are a nono, as is the mayo if it has sugar or vinigar. I thin kit says no miso or other fermited products. Someone on here said no soy at all, but I still enjoy soy without problems.

Remember too it's the fat that makes you feel full and signals your body it's time to stop eating. If you keep feeling hungry you may want to increase your fat intake.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 07:33

Smile hi thank you all

Thanks for responding to my concerns.

ROsebud thanks for the input about the 10x atkins Suggestion. that makes more sense now. and YES i will defnitely start recording my meals on fitday, starting today. i'm curious to see what I am takin in, not only in cals but as well in fat percentages and protein percentages.

HI Frederick!! so glad to see your response! how have u been?? looks like u hit goal , CONGRATS. I am still very active in the gym. I jut hope now with being in induction I'll have the energy to do my workouts. I was finding it rather difficult with very few carbs to complete them.
Rather than adjust my carbs and increase them a bit, I just gave up on atkins. I really hope this time I can stick with it. We'll see how I feel on induction for the next 3 weeks, and then we'll take it from there.

Ladybelle your response was intresting as well. Do u have candida yourself? I have the atkins for life book, is that where I can find info about candida? I am going to eliminate blue cheese, miso, soy and as for the mayo until I can find a brand without sugar here in Toronto Canada i will have to make my own! I can't seem to find sugar free mayo. I use Hellmans right now and it has both vinegar and sugar but I"m not sure they make mayo without vinegar. Maybe I can put out a post on board asking any american member to perhaps mail me a bottle of sugar free mayo and I would pay the shipping and cost outright. There are numerous products I can't get a hold of here, which can get frustrating. oh well

take care all , and keep lowcarbing

Piera

keep intouch all and thanks again

Piera
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 09:16

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Just looking through Fit For Life I don't see the section that Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution has on different diseases and disorders. Maybe you could pick up a copy of it. It also has much more info on induction than Fit For Life has. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 16:12
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Read the New Diet Revolution book. I havn't read Atkins for life yet, but from what I've heard from people who have, it focuses mostly on maintanance not the early stages. Check your local library for a copy and read the chapter that focuses on yeast. If they don't have a latest edition, you can pick it up at walmart for $6.

I havn't been able to find any sugar free mayo either. I tried making my own at home with no sugar or vinigar. It tasted like oily lemon juice to me, though the after taste was mayo. You have to use it within a couple days of making though, and I don't use enough to bother. Most just gets tossed out.

I don't know for sure if I have candidia. I had some of the symptoms, so I went ahead and started following the candidia modified diet and taking yeast treaters. I found my weight loss did much better, so I decided to stick to it. Like I said, I eat soy still, I didn't see Atkins say no to that, just fermented products like soy sauce.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 16:45

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

HUNGRY, HUNGRY, HUNGRY - EAT, EAT, EAT

From what you wrote it looks like you've been on Atkins before, on Induction eat until you're satisfied, make sure you get all of those carb veggies in, if you need to snack inbetween meals then do it, ensure you get lots of fat - treat every single meal as a LUXURY rather than chore, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 22:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC Artist
how have u been?? looks like u hit goal , CONGRATS. I am still very active in the gym. I jut hope now with being in induction I'll have the energy to do my workouts. I was finding it rather difficult with very few carbs to complete them.

Thanks!

I reached goal several months ago, and have been on Maintenance ever since. For the first few months, I found my running really suffered while my body was acclimating to primarily burning fat as it's main source of fuel. Now, my energy for cardio based excercises has reverted to the pre-LC levels when I was eating much higher carbs. So, on the bright side, it appears for endurance activities, limiting carbs doesn't appear to be too much of a hindrance. However, weight training is a different issue entirely, at least from my perspective. During the times when I've experimented with a higher carb intake, I find that I can lift a higher weight with more reps.

If you're anything like me, I think you'll regain your energy levels for cardio; but, for weight training, you might notice a slight deteoriation in both reps and poundage. Hm, if you find a solution to counter this, penny for your thoughts? LOL

By the way, on a lighter side Piera, your handle (MAC Artist) still conjures up images of a creative bohemian-esque grunger designing state of the art Macintosh styles for Apple Computer. Hm, if they can only put on some highlights for the newest G3? Or, is that G4?

Well, my knowledge on make-up is similar to my know how with Macs--pretty much non-existent.

Good to see you again,

Frederick
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 07:26

Talking smile on my face

LIke always Frederick u seem to put a smile on my face and make me giggle. I'm not soo a much a computer wiz as a make up wiz. But still an artist in soul and heart. Artists u know are just a whole other breed. TAkes quite a bit some say, to understand us. Go figure. Our creative talents deem us odd and almost "weird" as I've heard some quote us. I think that may be true to some degree in my character and personality. But I assure u I don't dress like a freak, I"m too classy for that . lol

its day 4 four for me today and I really hope the cravings and headaches and nausea subside, because its driving me insane!! oh well

hanging in there.

Piera
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC Artist
Our creative talents deem us odd and almost "weird" as I've heard some quote us. I think that may be true to some degree in my character and personality. But I assure u I don't dress like a freak, I"m too classy for that . lol

its day 4 four for me today and I really hope the cravings and headaches and nausea subside, because its driving me insane!! oh well

Hi again Piera,

One can certainly make an argument that artists to tend towards the to be on the...ah...eccentric side. That's ok! Imagine a world without art or literature, and we all mind as well live as hermits in some far away remote village which time has forgotten.

An intellectual is a man who says a simple thing in a difficult way; an artist is a man who says a difficult thing in a simple way. I read that once, and have always felt that was the one trait which sets artists apart.

In light of your having some difficulties with Induction again, I'll leave you with a quote from Henry Ward Beecher, "Our best successes often come after our greatest disappointments."

So, Beecher says you're due for your best success!

And, he can't be wrong, right? LOL

Take care,

Frederick
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 14:08

Stats: 193/179/165 Male 68 inches
BF:26.5%
Progress: 50%

Mac Artist, my wife has candida, which was caused from taking the anti-biotics she had to take because of bad asthma attacks.

Atkins chapter on it, helped her a lot. Also, there are websites dedicated to candida.

The all important food to fight candida is fresh raw garlic. You should get a pro-biotic to take though. Yeast die-off will make you feel like hell!
The pro-biotic replaces the bad bacteria with good bacteria.

Yogert works too, but if you have a problem with dairy products, the pro-biotic works better.

BTW, since my wife cleared up her candida, she no longer has asthma attacks and the food allergies she had are gone. She's been healthy for over 2 years now.

Last edited by JimR-OCDS : Tue, Aug-05-03 at 14:12.