Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 16:30

Plan: Atkins, continuing induction
Stats: 230/185/175 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default How "thin" can you get before atkins stops working?

I started at 230, wanting to get to 200 about two months ago (been in induction since)

Once i got to, 200 i saw that i could still afford to loose another 15 pounds.

Right now i sit at 195, this pass week i lost 5 pounds (200-195).

I havent been 195 since i was 15 years old (i am 21 right now).

My question is i have always been a "chubby" kid, never fat but chubby. (well i was fat by 230)

How much can i realisticly loose? i am really not to fat right now, i still have a small gut but not big by any means.

Doing atkins how much fat can you loose? i do not want to start loosing muscle.... i am still a bit away from that, but i am just trying to assure myself.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 18:03
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Another way of figuring out a good weight for you is do get measured for your body fat percentage.

There is a basic formula in the Protein Power book, and a link somewhere here in this site. I have a link in my journal but it's to the women's page of that site. You can also go to a gym and get measured with calipers for a more accurate number.

As long as your consume adequate protein, fat and calories, losing a lot of muscle isn't likely on Atkins. Some people who were very overweight will lose more muscle simply because as they get smaller, the muscle isn't needed for their daily tasks. Of course, you can counteract that by weight lifting, which will also build muscle and raise your metabolism and all those other great benefits.

Hope some of this was helpful.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 18:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/188/185 Male 6 feet
BF:28%/12%/5%
Progress: 93%

as long as you maintain the right amount of protein you won't lose muscle just bodyfat, i eat 170 grams of protein a day and havent lost any lean muscle so far. Find out what your protein intake should be and stick with it.

p.s. exercise is a must!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 18:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Exclamation

Your "ideal" weight depends on your body type-build, genetics, etc. Everyone is different, but eventually you will get to a place where you can be happy with yourself.

For instance, I am a middle-aged lady, 5'11" tall with very small bones. My supposed ideal weight can be anything from -170. Right now I'm really happy to be hovering between 155-160. It's a realistic weight for me to maintain in the long haul-hope that helps...

#5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 20:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie
Your "ideal" weight depends on your body type-build, genetics, etc. Everyone is different, but eventually you will get to a place where you can be happy with yourself.

For instance, I am a middle-aged lady, 5'11" tall with very small bones. My supposed ideal weight can be anything from -170. Right now I'm really happy to be hovering between 155-160. It's a realistic weight for me to maintain in the long haul-hope that helps...

Jannie. I would love to know your secret. I am 5'10" I hover between 160 to 165. I would desperately like to be 150. I can't seem to get there. I have been doing Atkins for 17 months. I lost 65 lbs in 8 months. The last 9 months I am stuck. I have been on induction for the entire 17 months. I have had some great advise but can't seem to shake it. Do you think I lost all I can?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:03
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Beth's right, you should definitely get your body fat measured and use it as a reference instead of your weight. It gives you a much more realistic picture of where you are and where you should be.

As for how much weight you can lose, that's an individual thing -- menopausal women, for example, rarely get to their high-school weights, no matter what they do. But if you're young and haven't wrecked your metabolism with years of yo-yo dieting, it's quite possible to get truly slender, even if you've always been on the plump side. I was about 140/size 12 in high school, topped out at 210, lost 25 lbs. on low-cal, then switched to Atkins and lost over 50 lbs. I'm now a size 6 and 20.5% body fat, which is fairly slender for a woman, and I am still slowly losing, even though I'm not really trying. But I'm also 26 years old, don't have any insulin-resistance issues, and very rarely cheat -- all factors that influence your rate of loss. You're young and male, so I would think you could get to whatever healthy weight you want to be at.