Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 13:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/125/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 20%
Angry Why do I do this.....

Here I am, in the confession booth, the last place I want to be. If I can't make it through one week of induction w/out cheating, how on earth can I make it through all 4 phases. I thought to myself, "oh sure, if you can get into ketosis, you'll be so motivated you won't cheat". WHO AM I KIDDING!! I ate a whole bag of gummy worms last night and a bowl of ice cream. And guess what started my little binge off: a roll from Bob Evans. And I was doing so well -- it was my first "dining out LC experience", and I got grilled chicken, green beans and a salad - I was SOOOOO proud of myself -- what made me cave!!???? I wasn't even craving sweets!!! I haven't craved them since day 2!!!!! And someone please tell me, since I fell off the wagon, did I screw up the whole thing????? b/c the Atkin's book says ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NO CHEATING during induction....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 13:41
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

Hiya!

Can't tell you why you fell off, unfortunately.
What I can tell you is NO, you didn't screw everything up! I fell off on Monday (not my fault really, the restaurant I was at misled me) and literally felt horrible all of tuesday (and put on almost a kilogram from monday to tuesday).
You need to just get back on again. Accept that you're human, we all have failings! No-one's perfect.
It took me 3 days to get back to my Monday weight, but I'm still losing!
You do need to try very hard not to "cheat" but it's not the end of the world if you do! No-one's giving you marks here, the only person who'll suffer is you. You need to decide how important the weight loss and health factors are to you, and keep those in mind next time you're tempted. Take it a day at a time... Don't dwell on two weeks - make your mission each day to make it to TOMORROW!

Hope this helps a bit!
Steven
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 14:14

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

It is possible to readdict yourself to carbs even after being off them a long time. Which doesn't mean you can never have a cheat item again but you have to be careful. The most important thing now is to not get in the "I've screwed everything up, so to heck with it" mode. Just shake this off and start back up again. Induction is hard but it gets easier after that. You start losing those cravings, as you already commented on. Wishing you the very best of luck!
Lori
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 14:19

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

You can't eat what is not in the house. Get rid of all those carby things. Don't let them drop off a basket of rolls on your table when you are eating out. If they aren't there they won't tempt you!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 00:14

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

Lets look at how you got started? First, you had a (probably) bland roll that was in that little basket they always bring to the table. I bet it was out of habit, wasnt it. Then you brain thought, hey, Ive already screwed up the diet-lets go for broke!

Make a habit of turning down that bread basket when you go out...avoid the mexican food places because their chips and salsa are always so good...learn to recognize your weaknesses when youre not in your safe lo carb house and set yourself up for success.

Dont bet yourself up, we all do it. Day 2 of induction, I was invited to a freinds memorial day party-potato salad and cake and cocktails and all kinds of non-atkins freindly foods, that they prepared, mostly for me and my partner. AHH! I HAD to eat. BUT. I got back on induction the next day.

You can do it! Listen to your body...and when it screams sugar, learn to ignore it!

JC
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 11:40

Stats: 130/125/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 20%
Talking

Thanks for the comforting words. I'm officially back on track today, and feeling more in control. The hard part, as I'm sure it is for everyone, I was with a group of people eating out, and I can't take the rolls away from them (or can I????) lol!! And my husband will freak out if I throw away all his favs out of the cupboards!! So, I'm going to have to learn a little self-control. Last week was a learning experience, and this is a new week. It's so nice to have you guys to talk to!!! Thanks so much!!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 11:44

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Glad to hear you are back on track!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 16:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins off and on
Stats: 317/163/150 Female 66
BF:"I'm melting!"
Progress: 92%

When you look in the mirror, remember that you're looking at your best friend, and talk to her in kind. Don't beat yourself up! So? You messed up a 'little' ... keep going. It's like walking down the street and you're not really paying attention and you stumble a little on a loose rock or uneven bit of pavement ... just don't lose your balance and fall on your face!

One day at a time ... it's just all about that one day at a time. Don't worry about yesterday - it's gone and done with! Don't worry about tomorrow - it'll be here soon enough! Just get through today KitKat ... and make it count!

READY? SET?

GO! ... OFF AND RUNNING AGAIN!