Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 21:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/196/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Kroger!!

Hey, Does anyone shop at the grocery store "Kroger"? I am heading down to school in Virginia for my 3rd year and now I'll be shopping for food the low carb way. Are there any special LC products that they sell such as LC tortillas or already made cheesecake??? (What about the Wal-mart Supercenter)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 21:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/152/125 Female 65
BF:???
Progress: -8%
Default Kroger

Step One: get a kroger plus card. its free, and you don't get sale prices if ya don't have one.

i shop at kroger two or three times a week... they have Hansen's diet sodas (caffeine/aspartame free) as well as diet rite. They carry a million flavors of s/f jello, candy, and drinks. they have a small selection of atkins goodies, bars, shakes, shake mix, and bake mixes (actually a better selection than anyother big supermarket i've seen, and better prices in MHO). also, they carry a lot of the herbal teas and supplements that I find pretty helpful. they have a section of organic cheeses and soy milk, and LC soy bars.

walmart carries LeCarb ice cream which is awesome, but seems to have a smaller selection of general lc products and natural foods

good luck.. you can PM me if you have any more questions i shop religiously at these two places, and no where else at all.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 21:41

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

I am in IL but we have Kroger too. Check by the health foods-usually by the produce section. They have a lot of Atkins products like muffin and bake mix and Atkins bars, sugar free syrups, stuff like that.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 21:46

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I'm not near VA, but I can get lc tortillas at two of my area Krogers. I don't know if they have Le Carb, but I know they do carry Atkins Endulge ice cream. Local Wal-Mart also carries Nature's Own lc bread here. The Kroger has a bigger selection of Atkins products, such as syrups, bake mix, etc. But Wal-mart has the shakes (carb solutions is cheaper and tastes great) and all the different bars and candies for way cheaper than Kroger. I don't think you'll have any trouble lc-ing there with those two stores....except maybe with the cheesecake!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 22:01

BF:

Wow, thanks for the quick responses! Thanks for all the tips and for giving me some hope for when I get down to school.

Gatsbyjas- You'll be getting a PM from me later I'm sure, lol...I am a confused LC shopper!

Again, thanks all! This really helped!

P.S. I need to get my hands on the Le Carb ice cream. Everyone is raving about it!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 22:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/152/125 Female 65
BF:???
Progress: -8%

feel free, i would love to help out. i'm learning as i go as well, but i can give you what wisdom i've got. im getting ready to back to school in a tiny town in IL with only a WALMART and no health food store, and the wally world carries basically nothing. so before i leave, im stocking up. plus, i have a dining plan on campus with should loosen up my options.... oh i will miss my kroger and my super walmart!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 02:01

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Some Wal Mart Superstores carry low-carb versions of a "heat & eat" convenience food made by Chef's Choice. I've never managed to track them down in my area, but the company says they are at the Wal Mart Superstores, and other LC'ers say they are tasty...just make sure you get the LC ones...they make carb-loaded stuff, too.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 05:39
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I live in Virginia and go to both Krogers and Walmart. I find you get better deals by far at Walmart. Kroger card or not, Walmart comes out a lot of times cheaper. The LeCarb IceCream is 2 something at Walmarts and 4 something at Krogers. Chocolate bars if you want them can be as much as 50 cents more. The only thing that Krogers has that Walmart does not carry is the CarbSence Hot Cereal, which DH likes. To date this is the only reason I shop at Krogers.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 07:21

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

I don't normally shop at Kroger because there's a Winn Dixie, Publix, and Bruno's all 4 miles from me, and the Kroger is another 4 miles further away. But this thread has changed my mind! This morning, instead of going to Publix like I was planning (not much in way of LC, but more than Brunos or Winn Dixie) I'm going to make the drive down to Kroger!

Thanks - I never would have checked that store if I hadn't read this thread. I've especially been wanting to find LC tortillas.

Joan
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 09:20

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

Krogers also has some of the best produce you can get! Now, they can be expensive. So, watch the sales and do get one of the shopping cards.

And, Krogers has Hansen's? I didn't know that! I think these are the ones I have been looking for
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 10:30

BF:

I have never been so happy to find replies to a thread before, lol..I am so relieved I will have variety at school. It takes temptation for pizza and french fries less..
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 11:21
Registered Member

Stats: 253/195/175 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Here is a great kroger tip

Kroger is the only store I have found which carries whipped cream in a can that does not have any sugar whatsoever. It's the "Kroger brand" extra heavy whipped cream.

TC
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 11:28
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies05
P.S. I need to get my hands on the Le Carb ice cream. Everyone is raving about it!

RUN, don't walk to your nearest store that sells this stuff. It is awesome! I just bought a container of choc almond this AM and it is to DIE for! And it may just be me (or maybe it's my new WOE kicking in), but it's not as addictive as ice cream. In the past, I couldn't have an open pint of Ben and Jerry's in the freezer -- I had to finish it off. With this stuff, I'm satisfied with a couple of spoonfuls.

Just my $0.02

Jeannie