Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 16:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/185/175 Male 71 inches
BF:28/19/14
Progress:
Default Too Much of a Good Thing?

Hi,

So my challenge is not eating the wrong foods, its eating too much of the permitted foods. Anyone else find this the difficult aspect of following Atkins?

I've developed a simple rule to prevent me from overeating - no snacks or meals sooner than 2 hours apart. Anyone else have a tip to help prevent overindulgence in permitted foods?

Thanks,

Jammin'
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 16:41
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

I empathize with you--this was a real problem for me yesterday. Nothing forbidden, but overlarge portions of everything. Also, I tend to nibble instead of eating meals at set times, so the temptation is always there to have just a little more.

Today I resolved to weigh and record EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth. Use a good kitchen scale and record the foods you eat on fitday. That way you'll keep a running tally of everything you consume--and you'll be able to gauge when you've had enough.

Maybe you're asking what ENOUGH is? Atkins has fewer guidelines about this than a WOE like PP, which I'm more or less following. I think you do have to keep track of calories, no matter what Atkins has written. And fitday will help you with that, too. You can see by trial and error, over time--or you can use the estimate of 10-12x body weight (or as some people do, goal weight) taken in as calories.

HTH
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:22

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Perhaps you should eat more foods that are more filling to you. You shouldn't feel hungry on this WOE. How much water are you drinking?? I drink at least 100oz of water a day but usually I am up to 5 liters a day. I actually don't have much of an appetite and have to remind myself to eat.

I would suggest to have more water, eat more filling meals, and ask yourself are you really hungry or is just a habit?? A friend of mine is also doing the atkins and she says she is always eatting and she has figured out that its just a habit and she was eating as force of habit and she wasn't actually hungry. Good Luck
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:25

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I have this sometimes. It can be tough
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 18:01

Plan: Smart Carbs!
Stats: 163/133/125 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 79%

Yes, I am guilty too of low carb bingeing..one thing that really helped was to up my fat intake so I was satisfied in between meals longer....just my 2 cents..Jess
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 18:09
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I have found that more fat helps, too, like adding mayo or dressing.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 18:41

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'm guilty of that from time to time. I'm especially guilty of it when it is my TOM.

Overall though, my food binging has ended and I'm glad for that

I had 6 pieces of LC bread today (1 carb per slice) and now I'm sick to my stomach - don't want to even look at food and I'm expected to eat steak at the in-laws in 30 minutes. Doggy bag please!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 20:37
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I had that problem when I was first on induction. I think alot of it was dairy being such a trigger food. I could have some heavy cream whipped with splenda or DiVinnci syrup and instantly crave more.

With my son the rule is he has one treat a day, and that is the only sweeter thing he can have. with other foods he can only have something once a day, unless it is smaller and healthy, such as fruit, then he can have two at most (usually he eats 1/2 of something at the time, so the other half counts as the second serving). I learned to limit healthy things too the hard way after the first time he tried string cheese. Being up with a sick child at 2 am who is too little to know to lean over the toilet and is actually scared of it is no fun :P I find it helps him to get more of a variety of foods which is always healthier. Now if he'd just eat veggies....
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 21:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/152/125 Female 65
BF:???
Progress: -8%
Default lc binges

the first time i tried atkins i was unsuccessful.. i grazed all day long, and lost track, it was a disaster, and it lended to making bad choices.

this time i have set meal times, nine am, noon, three pm snack, seven pm dinner, and not a bit crosses my lips after seven pm. if i AM starving after seven, i will have a (yuk) tbpsn butter or cream cheese, the fat seems to curb the hunger and help me wake up feeling great and not too hungry.

also, if you take the time to put your food on a plate, carry it to the table, turn off the tv, and enjoy the meal, you will feel more fulfilled in every way. you don't have to necessarily count calories, but you want to feel in control and balanced.

good luck!