Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 235/220/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:37
Progress: 18%
Default Poll: Losing with cheating versus not cheating

I posted this on Atkins forum, but no-one answered, so I thought I'd try here:

Okay, I need some reassurance and help so that I don't cheat. I need to see real results, even though I know the real answer, in order to convince myself to never cheat again. I thought a good way would be to collect data from those who have/haven't cheated and compare that data.

The question I am wanting to ask:

Starting weight / How much weight have you lost / in how many weeks, and / did you cheat a little (occasional bowl of popcorn, piece of bread), a lot (whole days of ice cream, bread and potatoes), or not at all.

I'll start it off:

235 / 15 pounds / 8 weeks / a lot

(what does this ^ tell you already )

Thanks in advance for the assistance with my "study"
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:36

Plan: Atkins+BFL
Stats: 208/188.5/165 Male 5 ft 9.5 in
BF:27.5%
Progress: 45%

208 / 13.5 / 12 weeks / none
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

249/38/13 weeks?/a little more than a little, a lot less than a lot. LOL.

~Angi~
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:56
Contributing Member

Stats: 302/350/150 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: -32%

302 / 76 / 24 weeks / none
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 14:30
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

178 pounds/ 26 lbs /2.5 month/ no cheating.

It's important to remember those with the most to lose will lose faster. Don't compair your progress with others as there are many different varibles to weight loss.

I average around 2 pounds lost a week, with some weeks being 0 and other weeks being good. Some people can cheat and still lose weight. Often times though those people have higher carb tolerence levels and a bit better of a metabolism. Others who cheat gain or suddenly get sever cravings and end up cheating repeatedly. If higher carb things don't cause cravings, then I think some treats can be worked into your diet on occasion. Especially when you enter OWL, and premaintanance you can be amazed at how many things you can eat for 30 carbs, 40 carbs and so on. Moderation is the key though. I don't understand why some people plan a cheat, then instead of enjoying it they gorge so badly they end up feeling miserable for a few days. Not worth it in my opinion.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 15:49

Plan: Atkins Induction Forever.
Stats: 315/310/240 Male 5'11
BF:Way too much
Progress: 7%

305 lbs./66 pounds vanished/ 5 months/ I could count the times I cheated with both hands .

To me, if you really think of it as "cheating" it will make ya feel guilty. When I first did Atkins I got through Induction no sweat. Then I started "cheating" so I forsake this WOE because of a guilty conscience. But I knew this WOE was the right answer to my health predicament. Two years later, here I am with 60+ pounds gone.

Stay strong and hang in there, we'll suppport YOUR JOURNEY!!!!!

David
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 19:12
Registered Member

Stats: 220/195/145 Female 5'9"
BF:31%
Progress: 33%

220 / 40 pounds / 24 weeks / a lot
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 20:22
Registered Member

Stats: 178/147/130 Female 157.5cm (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 65%

178 lb/19.7 lb/14 weeks/very rarely

Last edited by Elixia : Fri, Aug-01-03 at 20:23.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 20:34
Registered Member

Stats: 194/140/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 84%

194lbs/45 lbs lost/28 weeks/ occasionally.
I'm breaking a stall right now caused by cheating and not watching carbs by going back to induction. It seems to be working.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 21:25

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

210/32 lb lost/24 weeks/occasionally

Sometimes I think mixing it up a little has helped me - kept my body guessing & not getting into a rut.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 05:54

Plan: lowcarby WW
Stats: 212.6/198.8/191 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 64%

I already answered on the atkins forum - but dc is so right - the psychology of the thing can be so important! And ladybelle, like usual, is so smart - it really depends on the person and how it effects them and what stage they are at.

My first weekend on induction (was my 3rd and 4th day), I "gave in" and had a shot of espresso on Sunday morning, and sugarfree Jello in the evening. Because we're not supposed to have caffeine on induction, and nutrasweet is such a no-no, I considered these both "cheats" at the time.

Today, I had a beautiful perfect day with sausage and eggs for breakfast, tuna and lettuce for lunch, and salmon and brocolli for dinner. But I had ONE dorito (borrowed from a co-worker's bag). I haven't had a dorito in 2 months. This is one carb, and clearly below my limit. Now? I don't consider this a cheat.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 09:05

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

164/10/8weeks/none
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 09:37

Plan: Low Carb/Low Calish
Stats: 190/140.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:30%/24.7%/22%
Progress: 110%

179/13 lbs lost/2.5 weeks (20 days)/none

This is funny for me as I had to buy a new scale which messed with my stats. The old scale showed my starting weight at 175 and that is where my stats came from. Well, my son dropped a free weight on my scale (during 2nd week of induction) and I had to buy a new one which showed I was 4 lbs heavier. So, the above stats are for the new scale..
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 09:42

Plan: no more than 20 gm of carbs/day
Stats: 265/255/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:LOTS!/??/Much less
Progress: 9%

265/10.5/3.5wks/no cheating

OK, I'm new at this obviously^, but I've got another question for those of you that have been doing this WOL for a while:

Does you body/metabolism "adjust" to the very low amount of carbs you are eating & then make it next to impossible to add any without gaining once you have lost the majority of the weight you were looking to lose?

That has been my experience in the past with low cal/low fat diets---now, I know this WOL is different, that's why I'm doing it but, I NEED to know if my body will EVER let me go above 20g carbs/day again without gaining weight!

I am just doing "Low Carb"--no actual plan, I don't allow myself anything that has more than 2-3 carbs/serving, and even "rounding up" things that have <1g carb, I am usually well below my 20g carb for the day. Based on my past experience---after losing 85 lbs on low cal/low fat diet--and gaining if I ate more than 700 cals/day!---do you guys/gals think that I may be being too restrictive? After all, I if this stops working, I can't cut back (on carbs) any further than I already am! Or, am I right on target?

Please help, I've got a LOOONG way to go and I want to do it right!!!

Thanks, Oh Wonderful & Informative Board!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 07:41

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%

[QUOTE=GirlGeek]I posted this on Atkins forum, but no-one answered, so I thought I'd try here:

Thanks in advance for the assistance with my "study"

148lb / 21lb lost / 10+Weeks / VERY little

Didn't cheat AT ALL during induction (stayed on that 3 weeks). Have only cheated a few times during pre-maintenance. I exercise faithfully EVERY day. Good luck!

Morgan

Last edited by Morgan1974 : Sun, Aug-03-03 at 07:59.