Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 22:06

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 71%
Arrow Calling all Atkins experts! *Considering Atkins*

Hi,

I am currently on the Montignac WOE, but I am interested in making a switch to the Atkins WOE. I tried Atkins a year or so ago, but didn't have the will power to do it. Futhermore, I don't even think I was doing the induction phase correctly since I didn't understand how it worked. My questions are as follows:

What foods can I eat on induction?
what are the rules of induction?
Will I ever be able to whole eat low GI/GL fruits, veggies, and whole wheat grains after induction?
What other phases does Atkins consist of?

Thanks for your help in advance

-Brooke
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 22:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/160/143 Female 5'4"
BF:36.4/35.2/25
Progress: 43%

Hi Brooke!

Well you've come to the right place to ask questions about Atkins.

I'm on day four of the 'Induction' phase and I've lost 8 pounds in 3 days! Needless to say, I'm pretty motivated now! LOL!

My suggestion to you is not to start this diet until you have read the book - "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution". I paid $5.97 for it at Wallmart!

Knowledge is power, Brooke, and it will increase your chances of freedom if you make a point of reading all you can on the topic. When you've done that, there will still be lots of questions to ask, but from a more informed place.

Here's a link for a quick explanation of the Plan, including Induction:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...tkins-diet.html

I wish you luck on your decision. Atkins is the plan for me. I am convinced all my weight problems stemmed from my huge attachment to sugars and carbs. The health ramifications of this Plan are remarkable.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 22:51
Contributing Member

Stats: 216/196/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:beaucoup
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoongirl

what are the rules of induction?
Will I ever be able to whole eat low GI/GL fruits, veggies, and whole wheat grains after induction?
What other phases does Atkins consist of?

Definitely pick up the book, but in the meantime, the Atkins web site has almost everything you need to understand the basics and get started. The only annoying thing is that every other hyperlink is to an Atkins product , but it's extremely informative. (Just don't get too excited about the ice cream just yet.)

1) Rules of Induction
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html

2) There is a Carb Gram Counter in the blue part of the left nav
bar. If you click it, there's a button to dowload a pdf. I printed
it out and keep it with me; it helped a lot getting started before I could get a book.

3)"You Don't Need to Count All Carbs the Same Way"
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-154769.html

4)FAQ
http://atkins.com/help/faqs/index.html

5)Eat your Veggies
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/26-666870.html

Best of luck,

Dorothy
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 23:08

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Go crazy at Atkins.com... they have everything laid out great. How it works, how to do it, studies that prove it, recipes, carb counter, success stories, the works...

Browse around, but it's better to read the book before you start. It's nice to have a little bible on hand.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 23:49

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well, my opinion is that Atkins may be the strictist, but I think it is the easiest............. if that makes sense. It has been great for me, I'm 3 pound away from goal. Not that I have'nt had my weeks where I have'nt lost, but, that is normal and I think healthy.

But yes the thing is you must spend that 9 bucks and buy the book!!!

Good luck Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 00:25
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:

If this is a big concern for you, you may want to have a look at Protein Power. You can eat a limited amount of low GI fruits and grains right from the beginning as long as you keep within your carb limit. Although some people - like myself - do PP without grain. For me it's a toxic substance.

I'm curious to know why you want to make the switch?

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Fri, Aug-01-03 at 09:56.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 08:29

Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I have found that Atkins is by far the easy diet to follow without a doubt. Once you get through the first week it is very easy. The cravings stop and you are full from your meals you are not even looking to snack. The one problem is variety, no you can't have a lot of fruit (strawberries and blueberries) are the lowest and they do the trick when you need the fruit. And you can top it with homemade whip cream how easy can you get!
The grains are harder to add in. Atkins does have a bread but it is expensive and the carb count is high 3 per slice. i have had my loaf for 3 months and have not finished it yet. Honestly I don't miss it all that much, you just learn to eat other things.
Good Luck!!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 08:34

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have found atkins to be very easy to follow and continue, unlike alot of the low fat diets I have tried and fallen off the wagon in a short time. Atkins is great and its not a diet its a WOE for life. I highlt recommend you to read the book "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution" It will help you understand everything. There is alot of info as well on the website. Good Luck
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 08:37

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

If you are unsure about the change and don't want to invest in the book until you are sure it's what you want to do, why don't you check it out at your library? I agree with everyone that atkins.com is very informative.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:14
Registered Member

Stats: 192/182/152 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Be sure you get the most recent printing!! I started the diet using one of the older versions and missed important restrictions. That set me back a week or two and I am still, after a month, trying to get past a stall that happened after week 1. I think with this diet, you have to do it right. No cheating.