Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 15:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/113/105 Female 4ft 11in
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Another Low Carb store opening in the Vancouver area!! Woohoo!!

Yup, I heard it today! A very reliable source (my nail girl) just told me one of her customers is opening a low carb store in Ladner in September! Woohoo, I live in Tsawwassen!! Hey DeltaFox, are you out there?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 16:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/161/153
BF:
Progress: 64%

I'm in ladner so thats great news.I will keep an eye our for it and hope products aren't too expensive.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 16:45

Stats: 200/???/120 Female 5' 3
BF:way/too/much!!
Progress: 0%

Great news for you guys. I'm in Kelowna.....know of any here? Thanks and good luck!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 16:56
Registered Member

Stats: 146/113/105 Female 4ft 11in
BF:
Progress: 80%

I think its going in the location where the now closed fitness place was next to ABC restaurant.
I hope its a little more reasonable than the place in NVan too.
Sorry, not sure about Kelowna, but here's a few Canadian online stores you can order from:
http://www.lowcarbcentre.com
http://www.sndcanada.com
http://www.cdnf.com
http://www3.telus.net/seadrakeHome/LCFE.htm
http://www.lowcarbfooddepot.com
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 17:14

Thanks - and enjoy the new store!!!!!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 23:59
Registered Member

Stats: 141/146/123 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: -28%

Hey Harley, Im in Kelowna as well! I read on one of your posts that you buy sugar free pudding? I can't seem to find it anywhere! I do a lot of my shopping at GNC and superstore. Do you know of any good places to buy low carb? Looking forward to your response!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 18:20

Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%

Thanks for the info.

What is the name of this store? and do you know what products it will carry?

thanks
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 18:32

Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5'2"
BF:

Harleydee...I'm in Kelowna too. You can find some stuff like Lucille said at GNC and Superstore. There's also Nature's Fare Natural Foods on Cooper Road. It's in Orchard Plaza near Save On Foods...Wish there were more places...I'll keep looking. Nature's Fare is expensive.

Last edited by Allikins : Thu, Jul-31-03 at 18:56.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 20:21
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Allikins, have you found sugar free products anywhere? All I have found is one kind of jello at superstore... no pudding where else do you shop? This is so exciting finally talking to someone from kelowna!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:50

BF:

Hi Lucille...I'm fairly new to Atkins and have been searching and searching for sugar free and low carb foods. It's tough...especially trying to find some without aspertame. When I go to the grocery store, I'm constantly looking at labels. On a whole I shop at superstore. Next time I go out shopping I'm going to take a closer look at Costco as many people have talked about Talking Rain soda's. My mom also says the Costco in Calgary carries some Atkin's bars.

I've also noticed that diabetic candies and chocolates (some in Zellers pharmacy) are low in carbs and less expensive than the atkins treats. But, I'm still on induction so I'll have to wait.

I'm still on the hunt for places in Kelowna. I'll let you know if I find anything.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 14:44

Dear Lucille and Allikins - oh wow - nice to talk to others from Kelowna!!

I can get the sugar free, carb free Jello ready made at Save-on (Overwaite) in Orchard Plaza.

The fat free (sugar free) pudding has carbs, but last night I mixed it with heavy whipping cream and a few ozs of cream cheese and it was HEAVEN!!!!!!

I have to limit the amount I eat, but it's a great treat.

Good luck to you both. I have 75 lbs to lose and don't want to get on the scale because I don't think I lost any. I haven't been exercising at all - I'll start exercising next week so maybe I'll weigh myself then.

Hope to hear from you guys!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 15:25

BF:

Harleydee, are you joining a gym? I've been hesitant about joining anything. Plus, I just don't have the money right now. I try to walk...walked to or from work a couple of times (45 mins each way)...but it's soooo hot during the day now. My husband and I go for a walk in the park after 9pm, once the sun is down and the air is cooled a bit.

I admit, I check the scale more than I probably should...but it's encouraging for the most part. I try not to get on the scale more than once a day. Sometimes I'll go a couple of days. It gives me an indication of what foods are hindering me if I get a little carried away and have something I really shouldn't.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 15:55

No - I haven't joined the gym (no time or $$).

It really is hot these days and I can't seem to get motivated to exercise when I get home at 5:30 and by 9:00 when the sun goes down I'm just tooooooo tired and lazy. By then, I've had my dinner and am lying on the couch ready to go to sleep.

Since I've started Atkins, I find I get tired earlier. Pre Atkins I used to stay up until 12 or 1...but now? Nope - by 10pm I'm ready to sleep!

Oh well, I don't mind it once I'm losing the weight (fingers crossed!!)
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:35

BF:

I get tired earlier too. I still stay up till 12 though. some nights I've found myself wanting to sleep at 10pm. I prefer to go for a walk at 9pm because my husband will usually join me. I'm not much of a morning person so I don't exercise in the AM. I've been thinking maybe I should go swimming.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 20:03
Registered Member

BF:
Default food yum!!

Harley & Allikins

Thanks for the tips! I do a lot of my shopping at Superstore as well. I found some sugar free jello there and thats where I buy most of my meat, cheese & eggs. I went to Natures Fare.... wow expensive! I bought a few atkins bars from GNC but they are expensive as well. I found atkins peaunut butter cups and Russel Stover sugar free truffles (YUM) at the pharmasave in Westbank But, the best thing ever, Delight chocolate bars. They are only $1.79 at the Bulk Food Store on Springfield. They taste amazing, but watch out because they do contain malitol. I am going shopping again this evening so if I find anything exciting, I will let you guys know! Have a GREAT weekend!!

Last edited by Lucille : Fri, Aug-01-03 at 20:05.