Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 21:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/137/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Do carbs or sugar alcohols make you tired? What's up with that?

Before Atkins, I would sometimes pig out on candy or fruit and go into a serious coma, even in the middle of the day. I would literally pass out.

I feel much better these days, but still sometimes I notice I get substantially tired after eating certain things, like Atkins Endulge PB Cups, or maybe even Jello sugar free. The obvious culprit is most likely sugar alcohols or aspartame, but why? If I understood the medical theory behind why these things make me tired, or even an insulin rush or whatever it is, I think I could keep away from these things as "treats" on a more consistent basis.

I know this isn't a site for medical advice, but . . . .
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 21:42

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Well...I think what you're describing IS an insulin rush...even though those "sugar free" items aren't supposed to cause that. In some people it does cause a reaction (including weight gain), and therefore they don't eat them. You're crashing sounds like symptoms of hypoglycemia...it's exactly what I do after eating something sweet/high carb. If something causes that in me I consider it a bad reaction and try to avoid the item. I figure if something I eat makes me feel bad then there's no sense in eating it on a regular basis....the best thing about this wol is how wonderful I feel now, so I don't want to mess that up!!! You have to determine for yourself if it's worth it and then see if it causes weight gain or a stall and base your decision of whether or not to continue eating them on those factors.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 05:20

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

freckles is right. i get a bit tired with some low carb products so i don,t really use them now but i think its an individual thing.with high carb foods, a baked potato would knock me out for hours.wouldn,t like to go back to that.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 06:31
Registered Member

Stats: 250/220.5/130 Female 5'3
BF:Don't Know.
Progress: 25%

The sugar alcohols definetly cause a reaction with me. I had an Atkins Endulge bar on Monday in the car, promptly drove home and passed out for an hour!

I will not be eating those again. Not worth it. This WOE makes me feel so wonderful I don't want to mess it up for anything.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 06:39

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Yes, when I over-carb I get tired, cranky, bloated... It is possible that if Atkins Bars or any other sugar-alcohol laden food makes you tired than I believe your body (as mine) does not process sugar-alcohols like others - - meaning, the carbs count...all of them and thus, you should discontinue eating them if you want to feel better. I have.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:37
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Think of it like when you have caffine. The imidiate reaction is energy, or in this case a rush of blood sugar. The body counters it with a rush of insulin which drives your blood sugar way down, then they kind of balance. That crash where your blood sugar goes way down though leaves you tired, or completely passed out. It's not worth it imo, better to maintain a steady level of blood sugar and energy through the day.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:40
Registered Member

Stats: 166/157.0/130 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 25%

I have been eating a lot of SF Jell-O...probably a serving or two every day. I haven't really been paying attention to the way that different foods have made me feel - I think this is because I feel much better OVERALL than I did before. I think I will start paying more attention to tiredness, etc., during a single day to find out more about what foods do to me...
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:47

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I would say it is time to have your blood sugar checked. If you don't have a friend who is diabetes (so many of us have them now) then have a doctor run your blood sugar. You may diabetes or hypoglycemia - strong possibility of one of them (however, since doing Atkins, you likely have taken back a lot of control over it).

Good luck and remember, Atkins will many any condition you have better.

I know because I had the same problems with carbs and sleepiness.

I'm rarely tired anymore.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:53

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Wow- my last message was NOT proofread - sorry about that