Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 23:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/251/165 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Question Chili Rellenos

Does any one know of a way to make low carb chili rellenos? I thought they were low carb, but the recipes I have found have quite a bit of flour in them... definately not lc recipes.

Susan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 23:13

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

what kind of chile do you use? I would try a green anaheim/new mexico green chile- roast it in the broiler- turn it a couple of time ... once black... peel off the skin... maybe no coating at all? ... just the cheese inside- add some garlic powder and onions.. and then put them in romaine lettuce for your tortilla???
just an idea...
take care,
M-
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 11:28

Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%
Thumbs up Chili rellenos with egg batter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan34f
Does any one know of a way to make low carb chili rellenos? I thought they were low carb, but the recipes I have found have quite a bit of flour in them... definately not lc recipes.

Hi, Susan. I love rellenos and use egg batter for coating them.

For four chilis, use two separated eggs. After the chilis have been roasted, peeled and stuffed (sounds like a day at the beach), beat the egg whites until foamy. Add a pinch of salt and beat until stiff peaks are formed. Lightly beat the egg yokes and then gently fold them into the stiff egg whites. Dip the chilis into the egg batter and fry. (If you have some spare carbs, you can roll the chilis in flour/salt/pepper and knock off the excess before dipping in the egg batter.)

Mucho yummy!

Hope this helps you.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 20:11

Stats: 275/251/165 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Chili Relleno

Both of those sound like great ideas... thank you for responding! I am so glad to have found this forum!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 00:52

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi!

I know this is not chili rellenos exactly but it is somewhat similar and very low carb and also very tasty!!

My DH and I have made this meal quite a bit since starting this low carb WOE!

Poblano Peppers Stuffed with Eggs and Smothered in Chihuahua Cheese Sauce

4 poblano peppers
1 1/2 C. cream
1 C. shredded chihuahua cheese (or other mexican cheese)
2 TBSP butter
6 eggs, lightly beaten
cooked and crumbled bacon, if desired

1. Take poblano peppers and char them in the broiler or over a flame until black all over. Put in paper bag and let cool slightly. While peppers are cooling start the cheese sauce by bringing cream to a boil. Stir in shredded cheese continously until throughly mixed. Let boil for 5 minutes.

2. While boiling, peel skin from peppers and turn heat on sauce to low. Cut a slit in the chilies and seed them.

3. Lastly, add butter to frying pan and add eggs. Scramble to your liking. Add crumbled bacon if you desire. Spoon eggs into peppers and spoon cheese sauce over.

Delicious!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 11:07
Registered Member

Stats: 225/157/160 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 105%

I made these the other night and they were really good. It was an experiment so I'm not positive on the amounts so just make it to your liking. I made two, one for dinner and lunch the next day.

Chile Rellenos
2 poblano chiles
1 pkg. chicken tenders (cooked and chopped)
1/2 pkg. cream cheese (approximately 4 oz)
1/4 c. sour cream
3/4 c. cheddar cheese (or more if you like)
1-2 tblsp. butter
1/4 onion
1/4 water
chile powder, salt & pepper to taste

In a deep sauce pan of boiling water, par-boil poblano peppers for 5-7 min. Remove and cool.
In a frying pan, brown chicken tenders or breasts. Remove from pan and let cool. Add a tblsp. of butter and saute about 1/4 c. onion till tender. Add a little water (about 1/4 c.) and scrape up the bits on bottum of pan. Add cream cheese, sour cream and cheddar cheese and melt down and mix well. Add chopped up chicken. Cut off tops of peppers and remove seeds. Spoon filling into peppers and bake at 375 for approximately 15 min or until heated through. You can top with tomato or salsa if you like. This was very good and filling and I figure approx. 7-10 carbs per pepper. (I'm guessing)

It may not be the real thing but it was good. I think next time I'm going to add chopped bacon to the mixture.