Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 13:13

Plan: Induction-OWL
Stats: 237/230/170 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default I really really want that 199 number. How long did it take you guys??

Hi,
This is my first post. Been kinda hangin around here for a month or so and I am dying to know for all of you guys that have reached 199. How much did you have to lose and how long did it take you? I have about 13-14lbs before that scale reads 199. It seems such a long process and I am such an instant gratification person with everything in life not just weight loss.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 303/287/190 Female 5'5.5"(65.5")(166.5 cm)
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi kimba18; I have similar starting weight and goal as you, and present weight. I don't have an answer for you, but am eagerly waiting to see what kind of answers you get. I have weighed over 200 lbs for about 3 years now and can't wait to get under 200! I hope you get some answers soon. I think we ought to be able to lose down to 199 in about 6 weeks, at a guess. That would be, what, about 2-2.5 pounds per week? Well, as you can see, I don't know any more than you do; I'm just so excited to have found LC eating and this website! I am so excited about talking with people who are succeeding at this!
Elizabeth
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 20:31

Plan: Induction-OWL
Stats: 237/230/170 Female 5'11"
BF:

Persimmon,
When did you start Low carbing? I started on 6/23. It seems others have lost alot more than I in a period of 5-6 weeks. But then again I guess there are alot that have not lost as much. I do have a hard time with variety and like to stick close to induction as much as possible, but do get light headed and have to add berries and nuts. I also have bad days where I sneak a little (not too many of those days thank goodnes). You seem to be doing very well with your weight loss. That sounds encouraging and reasonable I would think 2lbs a week weight loss. I think sometimes it may be easy to get discouraged because the first 3 weeks it comes off so easy and then you slow way down by comparison. So when you look at it 2lbs the next 6-8 weeks that is encouraging and motivational. Lets go gettem girl!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 21:55

BF:

Hi again,
I started induction in mid-June, lost 3 lbs, then fell off the wagon for a couple of weeks and started over on July 3rd. By the way, I just now changed my stats to what I weighed in June of this year--I did originally have 240 lbs as starting weight but that was a year ago, when I lost 11 lbs which I kept off all year. I was never motivated or committed to eating LC until last month, when I started induction. So I have lost 17 lbs since mid-June--but I gained two back yesterday.
I tried adding berries yesterday; I had frozen blueberries and ate a 1/4 cup, which is about 4 carbs, I think. Then I had another 1/4 cup...then another...then I lost count and probably ate 3-4 cups if not more (I have about 13 lbs of them in my freezer). I am a sugar addict, and those blueberries did me in! I weigh two pounds more today but am back on track! I know I need to stay on induction for a long time, and I'm not using any artificial sweeteners--I want to rid my body of cravings for sweet things and I don't think I can if I eat things that taste sweet even if they have no carbs!
I know what you mean about getting discouraged--I want to keep losing at the same rate but I know weight loss slows down after the first few weeks. I'm impatient but I have to remember what I read somewhere here, that time will pass regardless and it's better to eat low-carb and lose even a little than give up and stay the same or even gain! I have been encouraged beyond measure by seeing peoples before and after pictures, and just looking at everyone's stats!
Well, this is getting too long, and I told myself I wouldn't stay up past midnight again; I discovered this site two days ago and can't tear myself loose!
Talk to you soon,
persimmon
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 12:12

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Kimba and Persimmon!

You are both doing great and making good progress! Don't be discouraged, sometimes the weight comes off slow and then sometimes it speeds up for a bit. Keep in mind for long term it is better to lose 1/2 to 2 pounds a week because it will be easier to keep it off in the long run. Also you don't want your body to think it is starving, that is when you slow down or even reverse weight loss.

Anyway, I have just recently passed the 199 mark! It happen last week 7/24/03. Please feel free to check out my journal to see details. I have not been under 200 for 8 years or so! I was 240 four years ago when I suddenly became disabled by a ruptured disk. I lost 20 pounds in the two years following this, not low-carbing yet, and it was a struggle. I was down to 212.5 when I started lowcarbing on June 19, 2003. Today I am 197.5!

I just passed a mini stall where I weighed 199.5/200 for seven days! Made some changes to my plan and I am on target again. My goal is to lose an average of 2 pounds per week for 20 weeks. That equals 40 pounds total. 40 pounds sounds like a lot to lose, but if you just concentrate on the 2 pounds per week average loss, it is much easier on the psyche!

Good luck to you both!

deb
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 21:58

BF:

Wow, deb, that is fantastic! If I do as well as you have so far, I could be under 200 by the end of August! Even though I've gained those two pounds back--I'm 214 now; need to update my stats. I'd love to lose 2 lbs /week for the next 20 weeks; that might even be a realistic goal. Thank you so much for the encouragement. I'm going to check out your journal but have stayed up too late and need to get to bed soon.
Thanks again deb.
Kimba, I've joined the Midsummer Madness Challenge: it started on the 20th, so I'm just a little over a week late, and it runs through October 20th. You post your measurements (bust, arm, thigh, waist etc.) and before pictures (I don't have those posted yet). Maybe I'll see you there. I think we could lose about 25 lbs in three months, and who knows how many inches! I'm a bit leery about putting pictures on the 'net for anyone to see, but I think I'm going to regardless.
Talk to you guys later,
persimmon
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 05:33
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

It took me 13 weeks to go from 236 to 198. The loss has been very irratic, not steady. I lost 21 lbs during induction which is very unusual. Then another 9 lbs the 3rd week. Since then it has been very slow. Finally made 198 last week.

This is my experience which will probably not be like anyone elses. The most important thing is to realize that this is not a quick loss diet. It is a WOE for life. The health benefits are more important than quick loss.

Even though I am losing very slowly I am happy with this WOE and how great I feel.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 14:32

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Barb,

Just wanted to say hi, was going to visit your journal, but you don't have one! We have a lot in common, my high weight was 240, I also just passed 199 slowly but surely, I am 5'8" you 5'7", I love gardening and just last November started to learn to quilt! Currently working on my first baby quilt for my niece's 1st baby!

Anyway, keep up the good work!

deb
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 19:59

Stats: 232/192/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%
Talking Reaching 199

This topic is timely for me . . . just yesterday I reached 199 after hovering around 200-201 for almost two weeks. In total, it's taken me about 13 weeks to get from 232 to 199. It was fast at first (lost about 20 in the first 5 weeks) then it slowed down a bit. Some weeks I lose nothing, but during most I lose 1 or 2 pounds. I basically keep my daily carbs under 20 and drink lots of water (although I still have my morning 20 oz. diet soda for the caffeine). I can't say any one thing dropped me below 200, although perhaps my every-other-day walks helped.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 23:06

BF:

Barb, I'm in full agreement about health being the most important thing. My Dr. put me on Atkins, but I didn't go to the Dr for weight loss, but rather because I figured out I was hypothyroid. But it is very very exciting to be losing weight! Wow; I just figured out that you lost almost 40 lbs in about 3 months; that's just wonderful!
jdsilver, that is really great, and it's interesting that you lost about the same amount as Barb, in the same length of time. I know I've said this already somewhere on this forum, but it is encouraging beyond anything I ever dreamt of to read other peoples' stats and follow their progress, who have been doing this for a few weeks/months longer than I have. It can be done! I can get fit and healthy again
Thank you, deb, Barb, jdsilver! I am so happy I am silly! And I'm down to 211 today. I think I'll go start a journal now
persimmon
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 23:27

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

It took me a long time (3 months????) because I absolutely refuse to give up a few things...

Diet Coke (caffeine is a must..)
LC Bars
Ketchup

But with exercise and not many cheats, Im finally here..!! If you stick right on the plan you'll be set.. just remember, lots of water and routine exercise... (so amazing what water and exercise do for people..!) hehehe
Take care and good luck..!!

EDIT: REMEMBER TO TAKE YOUR MEASUREMENTS!!! I drop inches even when I dont drop pounds, but its still a visible sign of weight loss.. which is all Im looking for.. See ya..!

Last edited by Sterlina : Thu, Jul-31-03 at 23:29.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 01:12
Registered Member

Stats: 109/93/75 Female 165 cm
BF:36.3/33.1/20
Progress: 47%

199 I cant wait to leave that 200+ good bye

Just wanted to say hi, and to tell you Im with you all the way

Good Luck
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 19:21

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

It took me about 6 weeks
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 05:32

Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:

Took me 7 1/2 months, but I had 61 pounds to lose. In the beginning I was losing about 2 pounds a week, then 1 pound a week and now it has slowed to about 1/2 pound a week although I still have a lot to lose. EAting between 20-30 carbs a day.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 01:08

Stats: 228/219/145 Female 62
BF:
Progress:

Hi my name is Lorraine. This forum is so upbeat and friendly. I'm glad i stumbled upon it.

228/219/199 FOR NOW - 145 ONE DAY!