Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 20:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 153.8/147/135 Female 5' 6" inches
BF:24%
Progress: 36%
Default how can I reduce my sodium intake on this WOE??

hi just wondering if everyone has a hard time keeping their sodium intake down? Eating high fat/protein seems to make it difficult. Any suggestions? Thanks! I know that intake should be around 2400 mg but mine seems around 3500mg.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 20:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Avoid cheese and cream and prepared foods like luncheon meats (which have a solution of sugars and salts added - even the roast beef, chicken & turkey.) Tinned foods also can have high sodium counts.
Milk & dairy have high sodium levels when they come from the cow - it's not added. Some veggies are naturally high in sodium - like carrots. Put your foods.

Stick with plain meats you bake, broil or roast yourself. Unsalted butter on the veggies. Just some suggestions.

#3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 20:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 153.8/147/135 Female 5' 6" inches
BF:24%
Progress: 36%

Thanks for the suggestions.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 23:17
Registered Member

Stats: 232/232/190 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl74
hi just wondering if everyone has a hard time keeping their sodium intake down? Eating high fat/protein seems to make it difficult. Any suggestions? Thanks! I know that intake should be around 2400 mg but mine seems around 3500mg.

Be careful with salad dressings, too. I sometimes get carried away with them and they have a ton of sodium. I now use olive oil and some rice wine vinegar. Beware of bacon and sausage, my other 2 vices. Like tofi said - avoid anything canned, especially canned tuna unless it is low or no sodium kind. Also things like pork rhinds are high in sodium... I noticed my sodium level increased dramatically when I went on this diet a few months ago, I have only recently (a couple of weeks) been able to curb it and get it below where it was when I started. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 10:18
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

One thing that helped me was getting a pottassium salt subs for cooking and for anything I wanted to sprinkle salt on. Read lables too. I found those bonless skinless chicken breasts that are so convinent are injected with a sodium mixture for preservation and high sodium. The less something is processed, the less sodium it has usually. I do allow myself occasional higher sodium treats like turkey pepperoni, but I try to have it early in the day with extra water to flush it out.

If you have a problem with convience foods, try doing things like making your own jerky. That way you control not only the salt, but the sugar as well. Another reason I lke Diet Rite is it has 0 sodium, most other diet pops have added for some reason. Just be careful. On a few things labled low sodium they add in sugar to make up for the taste of the missing salt :\
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 10:20

Stats: 416/369/185 Male 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 20%

I was shocked when I started keeping a fitday journal and looked at how high my sodium intake was! I have had to watch it a lot closer. The fitday really helps with that.