Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 09:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/160/143 Female 5'4"
BF:36.4/35.2/25
Progress: 43%
Default questions after Day One...

Day 1 sure was great, for both my husband and I. We had crab legs in drawn butter last night. OMG!! It was so good!

I have some questions about my food intake on day 1, though..

1. I had 80 grams of fat, 19 carbs, 5 Fibres, and 104 grams of Protein. Is 140 too high in Proteins?

2. Is there a ratio I should shoot for between fat, carbs and protein?

3. What the heck does "NSF" mean on the foot list at Fitday?

4. Can I eat scrambled eggs every morning. Compared to 2 eggs a week, a dozen eggs seem quite insane, but I can't find non-nitrate sausage or bacon...

5. I've had a wicked caffeine withdrawal headache since yesterday. Any idea when it will go away?

Ths site is a blessing. Appreciate all and any help you can send my way.

Thanks in advance.

Maddy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 09:32

Plan: Healthy Eating
Stats: 200/193/170 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi and welcome.

Yes, you can eat too much protein. What I mean to say is it can possibly slow down your weight loss. This program is a high fat program, not high protein as everyone "in the world" tends to think.
Try keeping it at 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs. Sign up at Fitday.com to see where you're at at the end of the day.

Yes, you can have that many eggs a week. I don't obsess over the nitrates, I can't find it here either in this podunk town. I figure regular bacon has to be better than a bowl of cheerios.

I wasn't much of a caffeine person before Atkins...but I can tell you my cravings of sugar and "bad stuff" took about 4-5 days for me. I've read just to take Tylenol or Motrin for your headache and eventually they will subside. Maybe drink some Diet Rite (made with Splenda, not aspartame) and try to fake yourself out with the caffeine.

Hope some of this helps. I'm sure others will be able to help you too.

"T"
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 09:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 109/109/109 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi,
Caffeine constricts your blood vessels and so does pseudoephedrine. Both are in headache meds. If you can tolerate it, try pseudoephedrine for the headache. Teens
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:03

Stats: 173/160/143 Female 5'4"
BF:36.4/35.2/25
Progress: 43%
Default Thanks

Thanks for your advice! I am using Fitday...that's how I was able to see the breakdown, and why I asked about the ratios. I'll keep the perentages you mentioned in mind from now on.

My headache is BAD! I'm going to take a half cup of coffee and a bit of Splenda just to see if it relieves the pain a bit. I was a caffeinaholic before this WOE, mostly a Pepsiholic, so I think I'm in withdrawal big time
I read somewhere that weaning may be necessary for us 'holic' types. I'll be careful though, I don't want to endanger my Induction process. It's too important to me. (I lost 4 pounds overnight!! I know it's water, but it's still SO cool to see the scale change - whoo hooooo!!

Oh, I was a bit diyxlexic about my protein count. I ate 104 gms. of protein yesterday (not 140!).

Thanks, again.

Maddy
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:26

Plan: General
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:you kidding me?
Progress: 60%

As a former Diet Cokeaholic, I can relate to you caffeine withdrawal problems. The best way I found to break the habit is to simply go as long as you can stand it, then have one (that was ONE) small (that was SMALL) cup of your current poison. Then go as long as you can again. Take aspirin if the headache gets too bad. Aspirin always worked better for me than Tylenol or Advil for caffeine head. Don't worry at this point about the little bit of caffeine and aspartame you are consuming. We're only talking a couple of days here, and only in small amounts. It didn't effect me any. I lost 8 lbs. during induction despite weaning off the Coke slowly.

Do this for about three or four days and then you can drop it all and go caffeine free. Oh, by the way, Diet Rite Rocks! How do I know? Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, took it back (it was too BIG!)

Last edited by ichihuahua : Tue, Jul-29-03 at 10:31. Reason: to expound
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:31
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I, too, had headaches for the first few days. I took a few Tylenol for them, and after the 4th day, I didn't have them anymore.

I keep my ratios at 75% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs as closely as I can.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:55

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Talking

Personally, I never counted anything, just followed the common-sense approach--eat the allowed foods in reasonable portions, stop when comfortable.

Yes, you can eat 2 eggs a day-I sure did! As for caffeine, I just mixed the caf and decaf together, in smaller proportions each day. I highly recommend it--no headaches!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 12:10
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/160/135
BF:
Progress: 29%

I was never a caffene aholic... I think i saw the way my parents were in the morning if they didn't have their coffee, and decided that was not for me... It made atkins a ton easier because i already loved to drink water... i probably drink about 10 glasses of water every day while i am at work... but i also love sodas.... so i guess i kind of cheat the atkins thing a bit.. i have a coke or something with lunch or dinner (not both) several days a week, and it hasnt stalled my diet at all. (it was my exersizing, or rather lack of exersizing that has stalled me right now) my job got a bit hectic, and i just couldnt make myself get up and run - it has ben a month, and today after work is the day i start back up... wish me luck............ anyway, i guess what i was trying to say was if you do things in moderation, it will almost always be ok, so go ahead and have a soda to wheen you from your caffene addiction (but just have that one)...;-)