Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/126/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default Fitday and dried fruit? Carb count on cranberries?

I wasn't sure where to post this so I am putting it here. I am in phase 2 of Atkins and can now have some berries and fruits but I can't find the carb count on dried fruits/berries. For example, I love dried cranberries. I use to use them (back in my old carb life) when I made granolla and muffins, etc. Cranberries are ok for Phase 2, and I would love to munch on a few fried berries once and a while or throw them in with my chicken when I am cooking it, etc but I can't find a carb count for them anwhere. I am guessing (I may be wrong) that they have a higher carb count than fresh cranberries because when they are dried their sugars seem to concentrate. Any ideas on this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:08

Plan: Healthy Eating
Stats: 200/193/170 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Type in cranberries, dried and you will get what you need. Just a quick glance and it said 1 cup was 95 carbs. You can also put in per piece too.

"T"
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:10

Plan: Healthy Eating
Stats: 200/193/170 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default One more thing

I believe it was you that had asked about favorite low carb foods, right? Well, I received my La Tortillas yesterday and all I can say is MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. I had a snack of one of those with some cream cheese, splenda and cinnamon on it. They were soft and chewy---very good I thought.

Vitaglo.com is where I got them from. Great price and FAST shipping. Would and WILL definitely buy from again.

"T"
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:11

BF:

Thanks. Fitday continues to baffle me. I went to the berry section of the Fruit area and they have Cranberries there but only frozen and fresh (not dried). Sure enough I just did a search on Cranberries, dried, and there they are!

They are pretty high! Over 3 grams for 12 berries.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:11

BF:

Thanks T. I gotta order some LaTortillas...

EVERYONE says they are great.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:15

Plan: Low Carb/Low Calish
Stats: 190/140.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:30%/24.7%/22%
Progress: 110%

This is what my book, The Complete Book of Food Counts, says:

Cranberry, dried:
1/3 cup:
-----------Cal./Carb/Fiber
(Craisins) 130/33.0/2.0
(Frieda's) 120/28.0/3.0
(Setton Farm) 130/33.0 /2.0
(Sonoma) 120/29/2
(Sunsweet Fruitlings) 140/34/2
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:39
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Dried fruits really aren't recommended for any stage of Atkins, or other low carb program for that matter .. maybe small amounts for Maintenance. They are highly concentrated sugars, very high glycemic .. and many dried fruits have added sugar. I'm afraid dried cranberries fall in this category Plus, most commercially available dried fruit has been preserved with sulphites to prevent mold growth.

There's a great article posted on the Atkins' website about adding fruit to your menus as you progress through Phase 2 and beyond. Check out Moving Beyond Berries.

If you really like cranberries, try looking for whole berries .. often larger stores will have them in the freezer section .. although I imagine they'd be hard to find this time of year. You can chop them in halves or quarters to make them stretch out for a whole recipe.

hth,

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:00

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

I was making some pumpkin-cranberry muffins to store in the freezer (recipe off www.atkins.com) for quick before work breakfasts. The canned pumpkin wasn't hard to find, but traveling to 3 grocery stores resulted in neither frozen or fresh cranberries. Guess it's a seasonal thing. But I purchased dried cranberries with the lowest added sugar count I could find, and then soaked them in several changes of water for about an hour before using them in the muffins. I hope that enabled the added sugars at least to dissolve and wash out of the cranberries.

I don't know if the sugar content was significantly reduced this way, but I will probably only have about 1 muffin a week, just in case.

Joan
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 05:02
Registered Member

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 152/143/120 Female 5' 6"
BF:38%
Progress: 28%

I do all my counting here. Just be sure to choose the amount you want calculated at the serving size. Fitday confuses me ...

http://www.calorie-count.com/calori...id=11205&size=2