Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 12:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%
Smile hi all!

Hi all!

I am new to lc-ing and have been lurking here for the last couple of weeks. I turned 36 on July 12 and decided it was time to make a real change in lifestyle to finally get down to my goal weight. I started Induction on my birthday.

A little history.... I was a really fat teen (~230 pounds at 5'8") and only lost it by starving myself. After many years of yo-yoing, WW, Diet Centre, Body for Life, Jorge Cruise, low fat/high protein, I thought Atkins had enough science behind it to work for me when nothing else ever did (for long) They were all too restrictive for my taste!!!!

So far I am in Day 18 of Induction, 4 pounds down. My partner is doing this WOE as well and has lost ~9 pounds. My teen daughter wanted to do it too but finds Induction too restrictive. Any ideas?

Thank for being here.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 13:22

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%
Talking Welcome!

Fabulous! Induction too restrictive? Get this, there are SO MANY RECIPES AND LUXURIOUS FOODS HERE, JUST LOOK AT THE MAIN LOBBY.

Congrats on your weight loss. You can feel free to look in my journal and post. Start one of your own, too. Encourage your daughter to join us. We will be more than happy to assist you in whatever your goals are. Take care and happy low-carbing!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 14:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default restrictive?

For myself, I am fine on Induction. I find lots to eat and am almost never hungry. I have been more of a grazer in recent years. I'll eat several mini meals and be fine. I also drink lots of water, 4-5 litres a day.

My daughter however, 14, took one look at the Induction menu and all the water and said "no way." According to the weight/height scales for her age, she need to lose ~25 lbs. She knows she needs to do something about it before it gets out of control completely. My question is how can I help her? She's at home alone most of the day unless she is out with friends and tends to eat crackers/cereals etc. I told her when these boxes are gone they will not be replaced (almost gone now.... ). I'd love to get more low carb products but they are very expensive here and the selection is very limited. I'll be in Washington state next month so I will stock up on my way home.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 15:02

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 189/164/135 Female 5' 4"
BF:don't know
Progress: 46%

Mousesmom-happy belated birthday! sounds like your doing good so far. keep up the good work!!

for those that said they have teens that said it's too restrictive and that stuff, i'm only 16 so i know where they're coming from. it's hard giving up the foods you love and are used to eating day in and day out but that goes for everyone not just teens. but just encourage them to do it and tell them how much better they will feel about themselves. and girls expecially, which i can speak from experience becuase i am one LOL, love when people compliment them on how good they look and how they look thinner. that's what motivates me and keeps me going. and you can show them this site and they can talk to others and get motivation that way or they could contact me if they want someone to talk to and keep them motivated. i could always use new people to talk to. my e-mail address is clyde11995~aol.com.

happy loosing everyone!!

*~*candi*~*
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 15:14

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%
Question Mother or Daugher...Whose the Boss?

I don't know the type of relationship you have with your daugther, so I will just be pretty general. My offspring are 27 and 28 and married. I know you are concerned about your baby but remember:

1. At 14, are you sure you are giving her a healthy body image? She
will probably lose those 25lbs, through activity, and as boys become
the main attraction, she'll want to take care of herself.

2. You could buy Keto Sticks and give her random urine tests. They
turn various shades from pink to dark purple meaning fat is being
used for energy. If they do not turn (sometimes they don't), then
you can pretty much suspect carb intake.

Be careful, children develop eating disorders by mimicking a primary care giver. You don't want to end up with an Anorexic or Bulimic child. I would just let her be for now. I could see if she were 16-18, then I would be concerned. For now though, your low carbing results may encourage her. Happy Low Carbing, Mom!