Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 13:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/136/119 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Sweetners Good or Bad

I've always been a bit wary about sweetners mainly due to the fact that after a few years they are blamed for causing cancer etc.

I've been looking at some of the recipes for puddings and cakes and of course they all include Splender in the recipe. So i did a little research into Splender (one article to be exact) and it has scared the pants off me.
So much so i have run round the kitchen and thrown out everything that contains any artificial sweetner.

However after reading the post about the bad press the LC diet is getting it reminded me not to believe everything you read and i'm thinking now that i may have over reacted to the article.

Has anyone done any research on sweetners? And i was wondering what other peoples views on them are.
I don't think i could read anymore, the one i read will be giving me nightmares for weeks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 16:07

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi, Ebbie.B, welcome to the Board

There's a lot of **** in the press about low carb right now, so if you want to think round that and look at all sides of the story, you've come to the right place

Splenda is one of the few sweeteners approved for use by low carbers, since it is derived from sugar but without the carb downside of the "real thing" or of other (chemical) artificial sweeteners.

I'm far from being an expert, but do check out the articles on this site which explain far better than I can

And don't forget - the media are correct only on average around 10% of the time
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 01:46

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Ebbie

Do a search on the forum and also on the UK part of the forum on artificial sweetners. You will find there have been a lot of discussions on this topic. I am sure that are a lot of useful articles in the media section as well.

I still have my aspartamene to use up, before I decide whether I will go with splenda. I use very little artifical sweetner, but have not found it a problem to me. The whole basis of this way of life is to get back to basics and use nature's own ingredients where possible as our body knows how to deal with them, whereas AS are synthetic. However, in small amounts it does not seem to harm anyone. If you find that you hit a stall, then this is one thing to cut out and see if it has an effect.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 11:09

BF:

I do prefer to use natural sugars.
Before LC i always use to use honey or brown sugar to sweeten.

Obviously i want to be successful with this woe, but i think i would be fooling myself if i said i would never eat any desserts etc again.

I really don't like the idea of artificial sweetners after reading how they are made, even if the side effects and long term effects are untrue.

While sorting out my kitchen i was amazed of the amount my family was eating, it was even in what i thought was a healthy bio yogurt.

So if my carbs allowance allow it, would it be ok for example to have my favourite greek yogurt (Rachels) with a little honey.
Sorry i haven't got my book at the moment, my Mum has borrowed it for a couple of days. She's another of the believers of the bad press and was doing my head in with questions so i lent her the book..lol

Last edited by Ebbie.B : Mon, Jul-28-03 at 11:12.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 13:19

Ebbie

I doubt your carb allowance will let you have honey in your yoghurt. Why not try a few strawberries, some melon or a few grapes. I love them with Greek yoghurt.

Fitday says that a tablespoon of honey is around 17 carbs. Look at your container. If I'm right then a 5 ml level spoon will be about 6 carbs. So that might not be too bad on its own.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 13:29

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/sucralose_dangers.htm

How 'bout stevia? It is an herb that has been used in South America for centuries. About 40% of Japan's diet foods are sweetened with it.

There ARE good brands out there - the more expensive ones are purer and you have to use much less. I like the liquid ones for stuff like yogurt and drinks. I am currently using a non-alcohol one called Stevia Clear by SweetLeaf. I use about 8 drops to make a big glass of tea VERY sweet and there are 600 drops to the 2oz bottle.

JInx

http://www.healthyshopping.com/sweetleaf/
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 14:34

BF:

After my last post i went and checked the label on a jar of honey and i worked it out to be about 6/7 carbs per 5ml, which is more than enough to sweeten my yogurt. Ok i have got a little way to go before i have the carbs to spare to do this, but at least i know that this is an option at a later time. That really does help me stick to this woe.

I have never heard of stevia, it certainly sounds like something i would be interested in. I expect that is another product not available here but i will have a search around for it, or beg the next person i know who's going to the States to bring me some back.
OH NO just realised normally i ask them to bring me back maple syrup and fruit loops, oh well those days are gone.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 01:17

Hi Ebbie

Stevia is not available in the UK. Yes, put it on your bring back from the US list.