Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Would I Make A Free Call for Future Access to Liquid Splenda?
Yes, Right Away! 413 79.27%
As Soon As I Can... 67 12.86%
Maybe Next Week... 27 5.18%
Absolutely Not! 14 2.69%
Voters: 521. You may not vote on this poll

#226   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 20:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/163/115 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 9%

I emailed the site that I found and got NO REPLY. I guess it's not in business or they just don't care.

KrisiteP
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 17:04

Plan: Atkins / Protein Power
Stats: 215/152/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Conspiracy Theory

So, I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this before, but here is my Splenda conspiracy theory.

Remember how it took so long for Splenda to be approved in this country, despite it having been available for years in Canada and elsewhere? Has anyone suggested that this delay was caused by major behind-the-scenes maneuvering by Nutrasweet? Anyone who has delved into the Aspartame controversy knows that the only reason the stuff was approved was because Nutrasweet had so many shady connections to the FDA and the panel that approved the sweetener, despite a pretty overwhelming amount of evidence that the stuff could be bad for you. It wouldn't seem like too much of a long shot that Nutrasweet called on these connections to keep a competing product (especially one that was vastly superior in both safety and taste) out of the market for as long as possible.

Any thoughts on this? I haven't really seen any negative reports on the health of effects of Splenda, so why did it take so long for the FDA to approve its use in this country?
  #228   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 08:05

Stats: 130/115/110 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

I dunno just sounds like an instant laxitive to me, imagine the damage that could be done to brownies!
  #229   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 13:48

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

I received my order of Splenda tablets from Australia. I ordered 4 bottles (200 tablets each). 1 tablet has sweetness equivalent to 1 teaspoon of sugar. The cost Australian $ was $7.19 each plus $7.00 S&H for a total of $35.76. I checked my credit card and the total in US$ is $24.99.

I ordered from National Pharmacies at www.nationalpharmacies.com.au. Look at my previous message for the date I ordered them. Sorry I don't remember. I charged them to my American Express card.
  #230   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 15:32
Registered Member

Stats: 167.5/163/115 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 9%

Anything that the government approves is always a long time. Check out some of the drugs that have been approved in other countries and took years to get approved in the US.
  #231   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 07:20

I ordered Fiberfit from Nutragenics. Ingredients: water, soluble fiber, sucralose, gluconic acid, guar gum, irish moss an preserved with less than 1/10th of 1% potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate.

One teaspoon has the sweetness of 4 teaspoons of sugar. Calories 4, fat 0, carb 1, fiber 1, sugar 0, sodium 0, protein 0.

I have used for cooking and it is great. I have used in it coffee and tea and it is great. The extra fiber cannot be bad and the effective carb count is zero.
  #232   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 09:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Low carb
Stats: 157/135/130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 81%

I have liquid splenda that is 4 drops =1tsp sugar equivalent. I have been using it in my coffee and tea but would like to cook with it. When I substitute it for the granular splenda in recipes, what do I replace the bulk with? I mean 1 cup of "substance" would be missing and replaced with just 1.5 tsp liquid. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  #233   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 10:44

Where did you get liquid splenda?

I use not/Sugar. This adds the texture that you get from sugar in a recipe. The recommendation on the package is to use 1T for every C of sugar left out of a recipe.
  #234   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 09:27

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff
I have liquid splenda

WHERE DID YOU GET LIQUID SPLENDA? This is very important. Thousands of us want it and it's been taken off the market in the US.
WHERE DID YOU GET IT?
  #235   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 14:17

Stats: 150/150/120 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Well this was posted on page 15:

http://www.locarber.com/store/index.php?&catID=CS-01

It says it will be available Mid August... I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
  #236   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 17:50

Stats: 150/150/120 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hmm, can someone edit my last message?

This is not available yet (though should be soon!)
  #237   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 20:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/170/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs down

Don't count on it I've used these people before and had nothing but problems with them. The products don't come when they promise and they are very rude!
  #238   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 17:43
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6h6o3
WHERE DID YOU GET LIQUID SPLENDA? This is very important. Thousands of us want it and it's been taken off the market in the US.
WHERE DID YOU GET IT?

It hasn't been taken OFF the market.. it's never been ON the market...that's the problem..<grumble>
  #239   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 19:24

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

And I couldn't see anything that said that the 0-carb syrup concentrate WAS Splenda. It doesn't say what it was. Too bad.

I have tried the Splenda tablets from Australia and they taste better than the bulk or the packets.

The packets have less filler & fewer carbs than the bulk. But the filler is necessary to duplicate the results of baking with sugar. Of course, the filler IS a form of sugar so no wonder.

I sure wish people would sign the petition in my signature.
  #240   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 19:26

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Actually, pure powdered Splenda used to be available online from a couple of sites. I understand that it was imported from Brazil and resold. I also have read that the McNeil company, who are the ONLY firm allowed to sell Splenda in North America, forced the sites to stop selling the powder. Drat!